Baggy

Almost 3 years of inpingement-like pain

12 minutes ago, Kjetil1234 said:

Raise them half an inch posturally. Straight up; not backward nor forward.

Like this chap, that I've helped on this forum before

13932863_1754187898185254_33107127563703

Thanks, so literally raise my shoulders up a bit on each corner? (as in the start of a shrug)

9 minutes ago, Kjetil1234 said:

yes

ok thanks... so my outter corner of each shoulder is basically pointing down too much, as it goes from my neck it should be more of a right angle and at the moment its sloping down?

is there some kind of gym work to bring a muscle into play more that will help? I cant imagine how I can walk around literally doing a mini shrug all day :D 

6 minutes ago, Kjetil1234 said:

Raise them and stay there

Hi mate i have a bit of an issue

yesterday and today i been in agony. Today much worse. Mainly the front of my chest and the rear shoulder blade on tbe opposite side to my original injury. Im not sure if connected to the scalenes exercises. 

All day i have been having sharp pains across rib cage front and back. Especially when twisting or turning or bending. Deep breath also. Even just leaning over to pick something up - its been a constant 8/10 pain

I cant really tilt head to either side towards shoulder without it hurting and feels like its really 'pulling' inside :-(

1 hour ago, Baggy said:

yesterday and today i been in agony. Today much worse. Mainly the front of my chest and the rear shoulder blade on tbe opposite side to my original injury. Im not sure if connected to the scalenes exercises. 

All day i have been having sharp pains across rib cage front and back. Especially when twisting or turning or bending. Deep breath also. Even just leaning over to pick something up - its been a constant 8/10 pain

I cant really tilt head to either side towards shoulder without it hurting and feels like its really 'pulling' inside :-(

For Kjetil1234's benefit it's probably worth mentioning what training you've done as well, since this may well have caused the problem.

11 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

For Kjetil1234's benefit it's probably worth mentioning what training you've done as well, since this may well have caused the problem.

Good point

@Kjetil1234 this is the current programme ive just started (before this was 8 weeks of bulking on 5x5's and splits

127664d1450348761-dorian-yates-original-

14 hours ago, Baggy said:

That means you trained the scalenes too hard. Don't worry, it'll pass. Learn from this mistake so it doesn't happen again.

On the bright side mate, your diagnosis is confirmed and it's 100% treatable. Hang in there - but view this rehab as a marathon and not a sprint

2 hours ago, Baggy said:

Agony again this morning keeps getting "stuck" whenever I move, all around rib cage hurts like hell making me feel sick!

Man up. Take some nsaids if you have to - but this process is inevitable to some extent. Be very careful in initial stages of retraining the scalenes

1 hour ago, Kjetil1234 said:

That means you trained the scalenes too hard. Don't worry, it'll pass. Learn from this mistake so it doesn't happen again.

On the bright side mate, your diagnosis is confirmed and it's 100% treatable. Hang in there - but view this rehab as a marathon and not a sprint

ok great ...... really? you think all this pain across neck shoulders and chest in last few days is just the scalene exercises mate?

I was just about to re-plan my whole gym routine.... you think this is not related ot my workouts?

is it normal for this scalene exercise to cause such pain? and its wired that is more in the other side of my neck and shoulder not the main side I was treating no>??

also should I cary on training my scalene at the moment doing 10 reps on the one angle and 10 reps at 60degrees still per day

Dude, the brachial plexus passes THROUGH the scalenes. If they are inflammated, training the scalenes will piss them off big time. So yes, I KNOW it will :-) Seen it 100 times.

Not related to workouts (unless clavicular depression is one of the main casues, which it doesn't seem like in this case. I could be wrong!)

Yes, if the nerves are already inflammated. Context.

A little weird, but it just shows that you have TOS on both sides. No biggie, just keep training them. If 10 reps break you; do five. If five breaks you, do five eveyr second day. When that's ok, go every day - when that works, go 10 reps, etc. 

43 minutes ago, Kjetil1234 said:

Dude, the brachial plexus passes THROUGH the scalenes. If they are inflammated, training the scalenes will piss them off big time. So yes, I KNOW it will :-) Seen it 100 times.

Not related to workouts (unless clavicular depression is one of the main casues, which it doesn't seem like in this case. I could be wrong!)

Yes, if the nerves are already inflammated. Context.

A little weird, but it just shows that you have TOS on both sides. No biggie, just keep training them. If 10 reps break you; do five. If five breaks you, do five eveyr second day. When that's ok, go every day - when that works, go 10 reps, etc. 

Thanks again mate you've been very kind

i did try the scalene exercise on the 'good' side on saturday to compare to the bad and it still hurt so maybe that pissed off both sides! Ive only ever hAd this crap shooting pain for 3yrs on my right side though

i will rest it as u say then reintroduce scalene exercise probably on both sides to be safe

@Kjetil1234 for strengthening my back and trying to build muscle to get my posture sitting much better I am trying to focus on building back muscles and rear delts.

this is the routine im following by dorian yates....(table 2 the bottom yellow box)

Is there any exercises here that will be detrimental to my sloping shoulders? or are all of these exercises good to bring up my back and straighten out my shoulders along with the scalene exercise over time?

9gzebt.jpg

Depends on execution. Common exercises that people can't pull off without compromising scapular stability, is pushing exercises and vertical pulling. Just watch my videos on how to properly stabilize the scap. OR have a skype session with me for 90 quid, which is probably your best bet

Hi @Kjetil1234 - the pain has calmed down a lot now from the scalene exercise last weekend.

should I start doing 5 reps a day on each side again yet and see how it goes?

also, would TOS be the reason it burns in the past if I try and do shrugs? I thought I needed to build traps to get the muscles to pull shoulders back into a good posture.... but it always flares my injury up when I try do shrugs....

Great!

No need to re-ask questions I've already answered mate.

Shrugging also utilizes the scalenes to a minor degree, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Shrugging is good for you as long as  technique is good

NO AMOUNT OF EXERCISES can fix bad posture! Awareness, and change of habits is the only cure. Raise them, and stay there! It's a habit problem, NOT a strength problem

5 hours ago, Kjetil1234 said:

Great!

No need to re-ask questions I've already answered mate.

Shrugging also utilizes the scalenes to a minor degree, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Shrugging is good for you as long as  technique is good

NO AMOUNT OF EXERCISES can fix bad posture! Awareness, and change of habits is the only cure. Raise them, and stay there! It's a habit problem, NOT a strength problem

Ok cool thanks. Next week i will try and introduce shrugs again. Will start fairly light as it does flare up my injury ..... but as long as u say that burning pain isnt actually doing any actual damage i'm glad to add it back in! 

Cheers

On 11/11/2016 at 10:20 PM, Baggy said:

Ok cool thanks. Next week i will try and introduce shrugs again. Will start fairly light as it does flare up my injury ..... but as long as u say that burning pain isnt actually doing any actual damage i'm glad to add it back in! 

Cheers

Any updates mate?  How you getting on?

1 hour ago, RexEverthing said:

Any updates mate?  How you getting on?

Hi mate im ok thanks - that flare up has now gone so this week I will start to introduce those scalene exercises again.

I actually looked on your thread and saw the NKT list of practioners and have found one that's only an hour away that's a level 3

how are u doing