Sign in to follow this  
supercell

James Llewellin's 'Arnold Classic' preparation thread

James,

Not sure if this is the place for questions or if you would rather a new thread was started?

What i'm interested in is the reasoning and aims behind the high fat med carb approach that you are using at the moment??

It is intriguing me.

Dave

All here bud - near the bottom (3 up?) - post by ninepack.

https://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/shows-pros-inspiration/21915-james-llewellins-2007-contest-preparation-thread-48.html

Hi Guys,

Lots to talk about from my 10 days away so I'll leave that till I feel human again!!!

On the way home we popped into see Flex and Shina in Llanelli (S Wales) and then on to Bristol to see Tom and Casse for a spot of food later this afternoon.

After setting off at 9.45am we got in at 8pm tonight but it was great to see them.

Thanks to Paul B for 'holding the fort' so to speak while I was away.

Full update tomorrow.

J

Hi Guys,

On the way home we popped into see Flex and Shina in Llanelli (S Wales).

J

James you beat me to it, it was great to see you both today, its a shame you didnt have more time to stay down, we should of planned it and you could of stop the night and broken up the journey.

As our girls are now fully aware, start us talking and thats the end of it, the intention to leave gets delayed and delayed, with a new topic, that was my doing im sure. :rolleyes:

Shina said next time her and Nicki are gonna do there own thing (probably shop) leave us to it!

Either way thanks again for popping down on your way home, i dont think i can make it up on the 17Th, but im waiting on confirmation on something which maybe leading us in your direction at the end of this month, so maybe if that pans out then we will pick up where we left off mate!

If not then im sure we will most certainly will have a few phone conversations prior to us leaving,

Again best wishes and thank you for the Engagement Card.

Best wishes

Flex and Shina

Flex,

Thanks for your email mate, inspirational stuff AS ALWAYS. Its always great to hear and speak to you. Yesterday was the first time we had a good chat but we really didn't even scratch the surface. Its great bouncing ideas around and I know we can both learn a lot from our methods.

Yet again its good to see you are like myself in that we keep it mind numbingly simple in our prep and off season with our nutrition and I reckon you would give Paul B and myself a genuine run for our money on the meticulous, calorie counting, weighing food thing. Great to know we are not alone!!

You have shown great kindness to me over the last few months and I wanted to personally thank you in an open forum such as this. Without wanting to sound really old and condecending, you have a very wise head on your shoulders that will take you far. You have never once sat around and expected things to happen, you are pro-active all the time and your mind never rests, looking for the next opportunity.

You have a great women in Shina and both Nic and I know its the 'real deal' and you will both be really happy together.

Take it easy my friend and as always stay in touch.

J

congrats on your invite to the arnold classic james and all the best.just got back from florida training in golds florida past 2 weeks was awesome some guys were preparing for nationals there so very comp oriontated! make sure you kick some ass, all the best

Today is Monday 5th Novemeber 2007.

My weight this morning was 13st 13lbs and not looking too shabby (even if I say so myself)

Over the last 10 days I have had a great time away in almost sunny (at times) Wales. The weather was really kind and allowed me to have my 6.30am walk every morning in the dry. This is how every morning was started and it set the day up really well.

I got up every day between 5.30 and 6am and practiced my posing whilst supping a hot cup of coffee before heading out for a 30-40 min walk with the dog.

I trained 4x whilst away. Firstly on the sat and then on mon, weds and fri. This was done early in the day to allow the rest of the day to go visiting relatives, places of interest and shops (obviously for Nic) We had 3 meals out whilst away, 2 of which were at a lovely restaurant close to where we were staying. Welsh Black fillet steak on the first visit and Welsh Lamb shank on the second. I have eaten in a lot of great places but this one was right up there and very reasonable at around £50 for the 2 of us.

If any of you go to Pembrokeshire get yourselves down to the Stackpole Inn in Stackpole (not far from Pembroke), it really is worth the trip.

On the second visit I bumped into Flex's mentor and very good friend Neil Hill. We both kept glancing over at each other and eventually he came over and said hi after realising it was me but with a slightly rounder face!!! We had a quick chat just after Nic and I had finished our meal...its a small world. He invited me to his gym next time I am down in Tenby which I will definately take him up on...Proper hardcore!

My training was definately stepped up a gear whilst away with the calories distinctly higher than pre contest I had a lot of energy and my strength (altho not great) was coming along nicely. The DOMS told the story after each session, so I know I hit them hard but not too hard at this stage just 3 weeks after the show.

I have also been taking a multi vit and 2-3g of vit c a day. PWO I have been adding 10g of peptide bonded glutamine and 5g of CEE to my shake.

My diet (except the 3 meals out) has been bang on altho I did do a quick total up of the cals I was having on training days and it was around 4300K/Cals!!!! I was shocked but as Paul said if I am still lean then keep them coming. They were all from clean sources too. Its the clean fats that are really running away with the calories and I am getting thru 1kg of peanut butter every 5 days as well as the olive oil and whole eggs added every day!!!

After careful consideration I will not be posting up weekly photos as before but I will post up photos from yesterday to show you where I am now. The next ones will be as I start my diet at the end of December and then depending on what I decide I will post some 1 week out for those that will not be making the trip over.

Photos are an integral part of my prep and weekly photos say so much to me about where I am at. Talking to Flex yesterday I realised he does the same and also daily photos in the last 10 days as he depletes and than loads coming into the show.

I have now nipped my cardio back to 30 mins 6x a week having sundays off. Weights as before will be mon/weds/fri with the weekends off. This has worked well for the last 3 weeks so I have no reason to change it. The diet too will reamain as it was including my meal at 2am every morning. My cheat meal will be once a week but I will also be having my weekly roast meat, boiled pots and veg (no pud) on a sunday as this is just another clean meal IMO.

On the way home as I mentioned Nic and I met up with Flex (see above post) and also Tom and Casse.

It was great to see Tom but he hasn't been very well for the last week or so and battled to eat yesterday (very unlike Mr Blackman) Obviously I had to polish off his chips as well as Nicki's too.....Well I am a growing lad...Slowly!!

When he is fit we will meet again for a train whether that be here or in London as I know he will be making regular trips up this way over the coming months.

Anyway get well soon mate, it seems that post show viruses are rife as I have had a nasty cold and cough whilst way but seem to be well on the mend now I am back at work...Typical!!

Anyway, thats the update so far and I will try to post daily and reply to any questions that get fired my way.

Here are the photos. These were taken in Wales yesterday morning before we left after a 3 course meal of extreme indulgence on the sat night!!! My tan has all but faded now, back to my white/blue hue.

The last one is me and Flex outside his house in sunny Llanelli.

was good to chat to you and Nic yesterday mate

definately meet up in a few weeks next time i go to see Harold.

I only saw your arms last night but you are still looking massive from what i saw.

was good to chat to you and Nic yesterday mate

definately meet up in a few weeks next time i go to see Harold.

I only saw your arms last night but you are still looking massive from what i saw.

Keep me in the loop Tom and when you are down we'll hook up. I wouldn't mind going down to forest gym myself, been an age since I trained there plus it means you dont have to travel quite as far.

Speak soon

J

The 2008 Second Annual Arnold Amateur Championships expands to 3 days and goes worldwide. The newly named Arnold Amateur IFBB International Bodybuilding, Fitness & Figure Championships will include IFBB Amateur Competitors from throughout Europe, Asia, and Canada as well as USA’s NPC, the governing body for amateurs in America. Bob Lorimer and Mike Davies, co-directors of the event, and the Arnold Sports Festival announces the new international competitions to be held at Veterans Memorial and the Greater Columbus Convention Center in Columbus, Ohio on Thursday through Saturday, February 28, 29 & March 1, 2008.

Today is Sat 1oth Novemeber 2007

Weight this morning was 13st 13lbs.

Sorry for not updating as much as I would have liked this week but after the hols I have been pretty much flat out. Today and tomorrow are slightly less frantic so I thought I'd leap on the computer before breakie.

This week has gone very well, not only with my siet but also with my training.

Everything is slotting into place nicely.

Wade came down on thursday and we hit back. It was quite possibly the best back session I have ever had and after 2 exercises I was so pumped I couldn't grip any more, even with the lifting straps!!!

I have been trying the new 'superpump' from Gaspari Nutrition as flex gave me a bag full of sachets. It tasted great and the effect is quite awesome.

I likened the pump to that of after one of my early shows when I dieted on about -100g of carbs a day and then ate like a pig for a week afterwards.

My back sitting here today is well and truly battered also helped by the guidance of Wade and making sure my form was spot on.

My conditioning has remained fairly constant now for the last 2 weeks which I am happy about, meaning that I have found my calorie intake to maintain size which is around 3800-4000k/cals a day.

I have now been on this 'high fat' protocol for around 4 weeks and would estimate that my conditioning is that of around 3-4 weeks of a strict cardio routine. As I am now only doing 30 mins a day it means that with an increase in output I would be burning bodyfat fairly easily.

This week sees a slight change to my diet and I am now ready to crank the carbs up very slightly on training days by adding another meal, making a daily total of 7. As a result my fats will almost be halved so the calories, altho slightly higher, will remain fairly constant. I will keep a careful eye on my weight and conditioning over the next week or so to see if any small tweaks need to be made.

The values for the 3 training days are now as follows (Non-training days stay the same, 4 days a week)

Carbs 400g

Protein 350g

Fats 75g

glad you had a good time away bro , good protcol on the diet i am pasteing it and doing it myself if you dont mi nd m8 , i am looking into going to the arnold t5o support you with a few guys from my gym , threads like teese keep me going on the ex bike on theese dark and windy mornings up here in damp old cumbria , take care bro

chem

glad you had a good time away bro , good protcol on the diet i am pasteing it and doing it myself if you dont mi nd m8 , i am looking into going to the arnold t5o support you with a few guys from my gym , threads like teese keep me going on the ex bike on theese dark and windy mornings up here in damp old cumbria , take care bro

chem

Hey Chem,

Good to see you are giving it a try. Thats what these threads are for mate, for people to have a go and see what they think. There maybe a bit of tweaking here and there but I am sure you will be pleased with the results. Be good to see you over there at the Arnold, some familier faces will go down a treat!!

J

i notice you use alot of pro peptides do you find this good then?

also whats the values of pro peptides like protien ect

Pro peptide is a formula by CNP and its approx breakdown is as follows.

70% protein, 10% carbs and a very small amount of fat ( about 4%)

It contains a number of goodies that are beneficial for anabolism and its a great addition before bed with a good slow release action.

But perhaps the most important thing is that it tastes fantastic.

For a full insight into how it was developed you can look on the CNP website or give John Hodgson a call on the technical helpline. There isn't much he doesn't know about propep!!

OR just wait until Paul B posts again, I still hold him fully responsible for getting me hooked on it and believe me once you have tasted it all others seem to pale into insignificance. I am currently undergoing therapy to reduce my daily dose but the cold turkey is just too intense.

Mixing ProPep with Musclemilk is another story for another day but lets just say its risky, dangerous business!

J

J

Today is Sunday 11th November 2007

Awoke this morning at 14st 1lbs. Read on to find out why!!

A lot fuller today after the higher carbs of yesterday. Ok maybe not just carbs.

I trained with Wade at Castles in the morning (he was late as normal) but I let him off because he is S. African but to be fair he copes OK with the affliction!!

My legs feel like my back did/does....battered, but all in the right places. No sore aductors or glutes just deep soreness in my inner and outer quads and around the teardrop.

We started with hacks, then ext then lunges for quads. Then for hams we did leg curls very slow and controlled with a nasty drop set plus the lunges before and then I thought I'd do calves as haven't hit them for a couple of weeks so did slow standing in 2 phases with a double squeeze at the top and then some standing single leg calf raises with dumbell.

There really isn't a part of the leg that has escaped. I forgot how much I enjoy training legs and now that I am back in 'full swing' with my leg training after 2 light sessions, it feels great!

After training and our PWO shake it was off to a restaurant in Windsor called 'Tre'

It is an Italian place and it was chosen by Wade. 6 of us went and we were greeted by a guy called Joe who ran the place but also was the chef. He also trains at Castles and as soon as we came in he was giving Wade and me options of what we could have.

He persuaded us to have sirloin with some freshly caught Monkfish with some pasta and pesto with some 'just baked' rosemary and sun dried tomato bread, drizzled with olive oil.....How could we resist.

It was incredible. A chef that knew what foods we needed and was willing to cook us anything whether it was on the menu or not...My kind of place. The steak was HUGE and the Monkfish was amazing. In fact I am dribbling now!!!

Anyway after it was time to say goodbye but not before calling into GNC to get another tub of peanut butter. Nic and I then headed home and got ready to go to Shelley's wedding reception. Again it was good fun and the buffet was not your average....smoked salmon, king prawns, mixed veg, new pots, chicken, I honestly had to pinch myself. I did try to guestimate portion size but when i went back for seconds I thought 'whatever'!!!

Today has been far more 'normal' with the non training day diet adhered to, to the nearest calorie. After clients this morning I went to collect my photos from Becka and the CD she had done of the shoot the week after the british (arty images to follow)

This afternoon it was time for the weekly shop and a visit to my mum and dad in laws in Maidstone and also to see my sis in laws and my niece and nephew.

Tonight has been spent relaxing and I actually had time to watch some tele (wife swap would you believe?)

So all in all another nice relaxing affair this weekend with no dashing around and driving 200 miles with nice early nights....Yeah right.

Oh well I am back at work tomorrow for a week of rest.

Training chest tomorrow and I am not holding back. I am more fired up than ever at the moment so i know it will join my back and legs in how it feels tuesday morning.

J

so your pro peptides are done as a blended shake with oats and nuts and water??

cheers for that its something ive been thinking of for a while as pre work out meal esp

so your pro peptides are done as a blended shake with oats and nuts and water??

cheers for that its something ive been thinking of for a while as pre work out meal esp

I cook my porridge with the peanut butter in, let it cool a little, add the propep and a little mixed spice, stir in and add a little more cold water. On training days I add 50g of banana too.

I then leave for about 5 mins (if I can bear it) just so a nice fatty skin starts to form on the top and then tuck in. So good I have it twice a day; once at 8am and once at 10pm before bed..Yum!:beer1:

J

I cook my porridge with the peanut butter in, let it cool a little, add the propep and a little mixed spice, stir in and add a little more cold water. On training days I add 50g of banana too.

I then leave for about 5 mins (if I can bear it) just so a nice fatty skin starts to form on the top and then tuck in. So good I have it twice a day; once at 8am and once at 10pm before bed..Yum!:beer1:

J

I want a You Tube vid of the preperation of the snack James! In the style of Gordon Ramsey's The F word! lol