swole troll

Swole Troll's double competition prep (strongman and powerlifting)

hola amigos 

due to the enjoyment i had tracking my previous training cycle for a bunch of 1RM's 

(see previous log here)

and since the first of the two comps im prepping for has now been shunted forward to the 5th of November making me currently 12 weeks out i thought id start the log up a bit sooner than originally planned 

the first competition is a standard strongman comp (i'll list events below) and the second one (approx 6 weeks after) is a powerlifting meet with a strongman twist: log press instead of bench

calories sitting at 7000 ish, going up to 8000 on days i feel like it or days that i work, this is gaining me about a half kg per week, i intend to up calories significantly closer to comps given the unlimited weight category im in (over 105kg) and the equipoise i start up in October should help with this nicely 

currently running 200mg of test and 25mg of proviron ED but ill be adding in some novorapid in about 3 weeks time, gear wont be increased until early October where ill be running:

weeks 1 - 10 

front load tren 3x, 2x, then regular dose
test e    100mg
tren e    500mg 
eq          500mg

for the first 4 weeks ill be pinning 30mg inj dbol and 10iu novorapid ED, this will lead me into the first comp, ill then take a 4 week break from insulin and orals then start up 20mg of halotestin and 30 iu (ramping to 50iu) of lantus ED which will lead into the strongman powerlifting meet (i will also be using tren ace at 1ml EOD from one week out) 

current 1RMs are shown at the end of the previous log but i dont believe the deadlift to be an accurate representation of my 1RM as i was completely spent from hyping myself up too much on the squat and i know im good for at least a 230kg deadlift but most likely more under the right conditions 

anyway for all intensive purposes they currently stand at 

Squat: 220kg
Bench: 150kg
Deadlift: 200kg

but for the current prep those numbers are irrelevant because the first competition in November is as follows:

Event 1

Axle cleans in 60 seconds H2H
105kg
Belt cleans allowed, max rep must be cleaned from the floor to chest and must wait for down signal from ref

Event 2 

Farmers for max distance H2H
105kg
No time limit. once the farmers have cleared the start line and you drop you are out , 20m corse with a plate to go around

Event 3

Yoke 20m H2H
260KG
60sec to complete the 20m fastest time wins

Event 4

Monster Dumbbell for reps H2H
60kg
60 sec floor to overhead must lock out and wait for down signal all sleeves are ok etc

Event 5

Deadlift for reps 60sec H2H
200kg
60 sec max rep no bouncing no suits straps etc are fine

now obviously ive done plenty of deadlifting so im comfortable with that but never done any of the other events aside from having a go on an axle the other day after a heavy squat session and i got about 7 clean and press with 70kg so defo need some work, I've strict pressed 90kg with a barbell for 3 reps before so ive got the strength to press out 105 a few times with leg drive but its just working on the technique over next few months as will most likely be the case with all these lifts and events.

i dont think i'll be updating as frequently as the previous log but ill try to be fairly consistent with it and keep the training vids, dietary and drug info up to date 

there will obviously be no physique updates this time as i just look a sack of smooth crap now but im only about function as per my contest until the end of the year so go find a bodybuilding log if you want to see men in their underpants.

body weight toward the end of the previous log was around 121kg but i had some water retention issues associated with high dose deca and test, a kidney disorder and a reaction to MK677 so since dropping down to a cruise and addressing all internal health issues im now down to 116kg so here's a video of me hitting that today for an AMRAP set with no belts, wraps or sleeves, just a bit of chalk and a handful of injuries

currently suffering from a bit of shoulder discomfort, ongoing patella tendinitis in both knees and a badly strained intercostal on my left hand side which is heavily hampering back work to the point i can only really do rows with a shortened range of motion, no vertical pulling at the moment 

current split is:

Monday - Legs 

Squat 5/3/1
Front squats 3x5
Leg press 3x10
Unilateral leg extensions 3x15

Wednesday - Push 

Axle c & p 5/3/1 
Bench 3x5 
Dumbbell incline 3x5
Side laterals 3x12
Tricep ext 3x12

Friday - Pull

Deadlift 5/3/1
Barbell row 3x5
Close grip lat pulldown 3x10
Lying leg curls 3x10
Dumbbell curls 3x12

attending a strongman day on sunday instead of friday's workout to get some tips and tricks from some of the strongmen at my gym 

Cheers me dears :thumb

went to strongman sunday and i was WAY earlier than expected so just carried on with my workout as usual since time is pushed today

started out with some clean and press axle and worked up to:

50kg x 6
70kg x 5
80kg x 3 

all returned to the ground before the following rep, no clean then rep it out bs, full lift each rep

was awkward af as to be expected with all this SM malarky 

next was suppose to be farmers walk but strongman sunday was due to start any moment so i decided to just go by feel (not the best idea) and did some seated db press 

worked up to 35kg for a couple sets of 5 then moved on to deads

60kg
100kg
140kg feeling all off and out of sync so took it steady and
160kg pulled it like 200kg, slow as sh1t and half way up felt a large pop mid spine, locked the rep then dumped the bar and that was all she wrote for today...

not good start at all, i THINK i might be ok, going to get my missus to try and get all the knots and crap out my back tonight and then boil myself in the bathtub 

i think for the next 6 weeks im going to hit a once per week frequency, i'll alter the OP to show the split ill follow but it will still be 5/3/1 on the big lifts and likely be

Mon- Squat and legs (quads)

Wed - Axle clean and press and push (chest, shoulders and triceps)

Fri - Deadlift and pull (back, hamstrings and biceps) 

with a similar template to this until i start up gear and can handle the higher frequency

2yzfm8g.jpg

i think the full mock contest once per week is ambitious, it will be fine on the day when full prepped and deloaded but until then im just going to train as i always have with heavy barbell movements only i will add in a strongman lift from the contest on each day 

no need for farmers walk and potentially yoke imo as its more just grab n go, the circus dumbbell and axle defo need the motor units wired in though so going to hit these each week right up until comp.

see ya when i sees ya :thumbup1:

17 hours ago, Quackerz said:

Will be following this one. Hope it goes well. :thumbup1:

Is that 105 per hand on the farmers? I'm just going to assume yes because if not it is fairly light. 

thanks for the encouragement buddy

judging by the other weights i would assume so

personally i think its crazy novice numbers

i wouldnt say i was a really good presser but im not a bad one either (benching probably my strongest lift) and even so i only managed to get the axle overhead with 80kg on it 3 times (pre fatigued) i remember reading in your thread that they weigh 30kg? this one is definitely over 20kg, its same length as a regular barbell but really thick

i think with a bit of bar time that will shoot up though as i've currently handled an axle 2 or 3 times in my life

either way there is some guys entering that ive scoped out and they have lower numbers than me so my prediction is upper mid field, possibly slightly below podium but that's literally p1ssing in the dark and i could come first or last, you dont know until the day

so as many of you know in true swole troll style i started this log with complaints of injuries but i think ive managed to work around them with a bit of refinement of my original program i laid out (has since been edited in the OP) 

and have decided on a legs, push, pull even though i normally am against once per week frequency as i believe it to be sub optimal (not ineffective)  however due to my current easy to over reach state probably due to my cortisol still being fairly high, once per week frequency is fitting me nicely in terms of sh1t loads of recovery

i'll also be starting some novorapid up shortly courtesy of a friend and that should help push out the window of protein synthesis to better accommodate the higher volume low frequency 

so onto the training today was legs and the bulg split squats take far too long so subbed them out for fronts which will have more carryover to the strongman stuff anyway, plus its a HUGE weak link for me and true strength is full body, it's rare you will meet someone absurdly strong who doesnt have impressive lifts across the boards all within a fairly consistent ratio 

Squats: 

(in sleeves)
82.5kg x5
102.5kg x5
122.5kg x5

(in wraps)
142.5kg x3
165kg x3
185kg x3 (meant to be AMRAP but third rep felt twice as heavy as the weight on the bar) 

Front squats

80kg 3x5

Leg press machine

220kg 3x10

Unilateral leg extension (one leg at a time)

10kg 3x20 per leg

and that was all

reason for low weight on leg extensions is they were hurting my knees to begin with so lowered the weights and turned my foot a bit and hammered out the reps, good for about 45 reps but like i say im taking baby steps with this until my knees stop giving me jip

came back and ate 150g of tropical granola and 50g of oats with 50g golden syrup flavor whey and 300ml SS milk, would normally use full fat but the dates were all too soon in the shop so grabbed girly milk 

calories sitting at 6250, still not got much of an appetite for some reason

tomorrow would normally be a rest day but im cramming all sessions in mon, tue, wed then getting some more work done on my sleeve so using that as an excuse for a mandatory few days off from the gym then balls to the wall right up until the comp 

catch you's tomorrow 

1 hour ago, swole troll said:

thanks for the encouragement buddy

judging by the other weights i would assume so

personally i think its crazy novice numbers

i wouldnt say i was a really good presser but im not a bad one either (benching probably my strongest lift) and even so i only managed to get the axle overhead with 80kg on it 3 times (pre fatigued) i remember reading in your thread that they weigh 30kg? this one is definitely over 20kg, its same length as a regular barbell but really thick

i think with a bit of bar time that will shoot up though as i've currently handled an axle 2 or 3 times in my life

either way there is some guys entering that ive scoped out and they have lower numbers than me so my prediction is upper mid field, possibly slightly below podium but that's literally p1ssing in the dark and i could come first or last, you dont know until the day

The weights do seem high, the farmers to me sounds reasonable but everything else for a novice comp is a bit heavy, or seems to be at least. I don't know too much about strongman TBH but you should be able to smash the yoke with that weight fairly easily, just short, quick steps with it, same as the farmers and you should do fine, start doing RDL's as an accessory or something similar to work your grip, that is going to be the limiting factor. 

I have come across two different axle bars, both weighed 30kg, I am simply assuming but it seems to be a standard weight if that is the case. Pressing them can be a bitch but you get used to it. Both bars I have come across have also been to standard length. 

14 minutes ago, Quackerz said:

The weights do seem high, the farmers to me sounds reasonable but everything else for a novice comp is a bit heavy, or seems to be at least. I don't know too much about strongman TBH but you should be able to smash the yoke with that weight fairly easily, just short, quick steps with it, same as the farmers and you should do fine, start doing RDL's as an accessory or something similar to work your grip, that is going to be the limiting factor. 

I have come across two different axle bars, both weighed 30kg, I am simply assuming but it seems to be a standard weight if that is the case. Pressing them can be a bitch but you get used to it. Both bars I have come across have also been to standard length. 

Can't do rdl's

I've tried various form, arch, straight and rounded back, going down to different depths ect and all of them put my low back out of commission for a week or 2

I'm reasonably confident on the yoke and farmers it's the pressing that will be tricky 

Also 200kg at the end of all that for reps is a big ask 

Still it's the same weights the other guys have to lift so we can all struggle together 

2 minutes ago, swole troll said:

Can't do rdl's

I've tried various form, arch, straight and rounded back, going down to different depths ect and all of them put my low back out of commission for a week or 2

I'm reasonably confident on the yoke and farmers it's the pressing that will be tricky 

Also 200kg at the end of all that for reps is a big ask 

Still it's the same weights the other guys have to lift so we can all struggle together 

The 200 is going to be the ball breaker....... lol

the plan for once per week frequency with 3 sessions a week seems so far to be a good decision as recovery is what i have been lacking for the past month or so in my training 

generally not really an advocate of any less than twice weekly frequency but given the circumstances it was a viable option and appears to have been the right one.

Today's session was push day (chest, shoulders and triceps) 

and it went as follows 

Axle clean and press

warm up with 10kg increments 

first two working sets 

almost went to do regular push press set on the first rep but remembered that i need to return the weight to the ground each rep to train the movement pattern ill be using in comp which is of course and clean and press not a clean then push press for reps

final working set (AMRAP)

phone memory was full so stopped recording during the final rep but i got it, was shaky and lost balance but i locked it out and held it there, also unsure on what to do with the belt as i find it suffocates me a bit whilst trying to get my air in between reps, might have to buy one of those strength shop deadlift belts similar to the spud inc ones

i also decided that instead of just doing straight 3x5 on bench press following the clean and press that i would still follow the 5/3/1 so here is the top set AMRAP with 120kg which i wasnt too happy with considering i should be throwing this about up to double digits but then when lowering gear usually the presses are the ones that suffer most ime and this is a pre fatigued set from the 3 working sets of axle clean and press i did just prior 

rest of the training went as follows

214nj0k.png

chest and delt pump was pretty intense, going to be madness when i add the slin back in but ill probably drop the volume and up the frequency by then as ill be upping the gear also 

feeling very refreshed overall compared to how i was during the last log which was incredibly overreached and a huge build up of cortisol from running high dose gear for over 20 weeks

i think this next blast should be a goodun with the addition of insulin and eq my appetite should be on point and a fresh body with normal cort levels ready for the tren and its crazy strength gains im looking forward to the comp, first one anyway as i stand a chance in that, second one is purely for my own contest as im going against some real high end lifters 

tomorrow is last session for this week, its a pull day (back, hamstrings and biceps) as i said in a previous post im taking a half week off after tomorrow due to getting some more ink done and just wanting to be fully refreshed and ready to go for the next 16 weeks 

so until tomorrow gents

Training was good again today, went in and decided since i start with deadlifts and im having a deload / time off between today and monday that id go in and try for a bit of redemption on my sh1tty deadlift attempts from the last journal i made on here a few months back (link in OP) 

so went for some non peaked, low caffeine, end of training week 1 rep maxes to see where my dead is really at 

i warmed up as usual with 20kg aside all the way and up to 180kg felt good so went from there (most ive pulled is 202.5kg for a set of 5) as a 1 rep attempt my previous best is 220kg however technically ive been at a comfortable 230kg hence i always call it at that when asked 

so here's how today went for some spontaneous 1RM attempts 

(defo a 3 pointer for hitting the camera with the ammonia cap) 

felt reasonably good so decided for a new 1RM of 240kg, bit ambitious?.... 

broke a good half inch lol, never mind, it will be there soon enough, maybe even now with proper peaking and caffeine manipulation 

rest of training was as follows:

Barbell rows - 80kg 3x5 (taking these light for now due to the intercostal strain, felt good but a bit tender) 

Close grip lat pulldown - 137.5KG 3x10

Lying leg curl - 100kg 3x10

Dumbbell curls - 10kg 3x12

and that was all, good workout, feeling really revitalised with the super low frequency, definitely not something i will use long term but good for almost a semi deload whilst still progressing 

came home and ate giant bowl of granola mixed with porridge oats and full fat milk followed by a wholemeal tortilla with some deli ham, cream cheese and salad, washed down with a pint of pure orange juice, 10 digestives and a cup of black coffee 

going to have a kettle hot bath tonight to boil up my bones and connective tissue then just relax until work on sunday and gym on monday

so likely catch up with you's next week, have a good weekend

SKWAAATS today, not too shabby considering im some how in a deficit on 7000 calories and i have no appetite to increase them, managed to get up to 195kg for a double which puts me around a 210kg 1RM on 200mg of test and a bit of proviron

knees still playing up however ive slimmed it down to leg extensions only now so probably will just ditch them soon 

training was as follows 

Squats: 

155kg x 5
175kg x 3
195kg x 2

Front squats: 

82.5kg 3x5

Leg press: 

260kg 3x10

Unilateral leg extensions 

11kg 3x20 (per leg)

Knees started playing up on the leg extensions as mentioned above so i may just ditch them all together or lower the weight and just bang out a million reps but probably just stick with the former as stupid high rep feels a bit asinine to me 

came home and sank a weight gain shake, 1 litre of fresh OJ, 150g granola, 50g oats, 50g raisins, 300ml FF milk, 11 bourbons and a cup of steaming black coffee 

plenty of water between now and this eve and another 5000 calories before bed and then push day tomorrow (having to cramp sessions up again due to getting a bit more work done on my arm next week)

also will be contacting nao (noa?) clinic regarding gyno surgery in 2017 and if i can pre book a slot so that i can time my holiday from work, going to take a fortnight off and get the glands removed in the first few days, dreading the time off from the gym but ill pump the area with HGH during recovery and hopefully can get back to training fairly sharpish 

until tomorrow.....

have nice day :cool2:

12 hours ago, swole troll said:

SKWAAATS today, not too shabby considering im some how in a deficit on 7000 calories and i have no appetite to increase them, managed to get up to 195kg for a double which puts me around a 210kg 1RM on 200mg of test and a bit of proviron

knees still playing up however ive slimmed it down to leg extensions only now so probably will just ditch them soon 

training was as follows 

Squats: 

155kg x 5
175kg x 3
195kg x 2

Front squats: 

82.5kg 3x5

Leg press: 

260kg 3x10

11kg 3x20 (per leg)

Knees started playing up on the leg extensions as mentioned above so i may just ditch them all together or lower the weight and just bang out a million reps but probably just stick with the former as stupid high rep feels a bit asinine to me 

came home and sank a weight gain shake, 1 litre of fresh OJ, 150g granola, 50g oats, 50g raisins, 300ml FF milk, 11 bourbons and a cup of steaming black coffee 

plenty of water between now and this eve and another 5000 calories before bed and then push day tomorrow (having to cramp sessions up again due to getting a bit more work done on my arm next week)

also will be contacting nao (noa?) clinic regarding gyno surgery in 2017 and if i can pre book a slot so that i can time my holiday from work, going to take a fortnight off and get the glands removed in the first few days, dreading the time off from the gym but ill pump the area with HGH during recovery and hopefully can get back to training fairly sharpish 

until tomorrow.....

Leg extension is a knee killer mate drop the weight mega low and focus on the contraction and like you said a gazillion reps

I'll give them one more go, kind of fit in as a nice finisher to higher volume quad training but at same time if they're flaring up my patella tendinitis then ill have to make adjustments 

Noticed recently we've got a sissy squat station that I'm going to have a go on, imagine ill fall flat on my ass as it will be post all my other leg work and I get the impression that they're difficult even if only bodyweight is used

Worse case scenario ill switch over to them instead of leg ext if I'm still getting problems 

22 hours ago, swole troll said:

training was as follows 

Squats: 

155kg x 5
175kg x 3
195kg x 2

Front squats: 

82.5kg 3x5

Leg press: 

260kg 3x10

11kg 3x20 (per leg)

until tomorrow.....

Good numbers buddy!! :thumb

push day 

which went a little something like this:

Axle clean and press

warm up
60kg x5
70kg x3
105kg x ? (this is the weight were using in competition and i felt ok ish pressing wise so thought id give it a pop) 
i then went back to the pre prescribed third set which was 80kg for an AMRAP albeit a little gassed from the 105kg attempts

Bench press

100kg x5
112.5kg x3
125kg AMRAP

Giant circus dumbbell 

40kg x3

sets in red shown in video's

again this isnt written into my routine but wanted to get a feel for the implement, the comp in November has this as the 4th event at 60kg for AMRAP in 60 seconds, i believe this DB is 40kg and id done a fair bit of pressing before hand plus im on fvck all gear wise 

come comp day with a load of caffeine, dash of trenbolone and a snort of ammonia salts and i should be able to pop out a few 60kg reps 

Dumbbell incline bench 

35kg 2x10  (suppose to be 3 sets but with all the other added pressing i threw towel in at 2 sets) 

Dumbbell side laterals 

10kg 3x10

Tricep rope extensios

45.5kg 3x10

and that was that

still doing my best to cram the food but ill be honest, its tough even hitting 7000 now, the EQ will hopefully save the day when i start up the blast around Oct 

after the appalling attempt at axle clean and press at competition weight im really hoping the dbol and tren save the day, i think with that, a heavier body weight, loads of caffeine, a crowd behind me and a proper deload and peak i should be good for a few, tbh i reckon today if id got the weight to my chest id have pressed it, just a p1sser getting it up there 

other than this not a great deal to share, toying with idea of starting blast a little sooner given the results of todays attempts at the contest lifts plus my lack of appetite (slin and eq will help with that)

weighed in at 115kg post sh1t this morning

still not bothered contacting nao as not much point until ive got the cash (i want about 1800 to cover op, flights, compression vest and GH) 

so with that said, pull day friday so ill update then

many thanks amigos 

Pull day today

Deadlifts

150kg x5 (felt crap)
165kg x3 (set up was better so moved a lot smoother) 
185kg x3 (AMRAP set)

the AMRAP was conservative, started to get a bit shakey on the third and want to really practice smooth reps during this cruising phase so left it at that, ill start pushing things a bit closer to the bleeding age once i up the drugs, whilst cruising and even on high calories im just trying to recover a bit by lowering cortisol, avoiding grinders in the gym, training with a low frequency ect, im still aiming to progress as always but not going absolutely nuts on squeezing out RPE 10 reps 

barbell rows 

100kg 3x5

felt good, side hurt a little bit but nothing i cant work through 

close grip lat pulldown 

150kg 2x10
150kg 1x8

ill get the 3x10 next week

lying leg curls

100kg 3x10 (last set was to failure and got about 11 and a half)

dumbbell curls

9kg 3x15 and then a set of standing cheat hammer curls straight after the last set just to really pump the biceps

and that's a wrap

came home and ate a giant bowl oats, granola, chopped banana and raisins with 400ml ff milk followed by 3 packs of doritos, 7 plain hobnobs and a cup of black coffee 

work tonight, r&r over the weekend and taking the missus out for a meal and a movie then back in the gym sunday

suppose to be a deload next week but im still undecided on whether or not i need one yet, one things for sure if i dont take the deload next week then i will definitely be taking one before the cycle starts, not making the same mistake as last time where i grind myself into a fine powder by training balls to the wall for 8 - 10 weeks then go straight into a cycle with no deload and train for a further 10 - 20 weeks with no deloads at all 

have a nice weekend fellas

little update:

and away we go, still running my heavy cruise of 300mg test cyp per week and the actual cycle still starts early October (9th i believe but dont have my planner to hand) 

but to spruce things up ive added in 10iu of novorapid today which ill run ED for 21 days then take 21 days off and finally repeat once more before taking around a month off which will lead me to 10 days out from the second comp where ill start up some lantus

the way i see it is if im going to get my ass handed to me in the 2nd comp (far higher level of competition in that one) then i at least want to look full and pumped lol 

Legs day today 

Squats: 

140kg x5
160kg x5
180kg x5 (AMRAP set) 

should have moved better but ive finally outgrown my inzer and the belt i tried on last night (a giants pro lever belt) fit perfect as my belly was full of food, went to the gym today and put it on and i may as well have been training beltless so the AMRAP from today wasnt a true reflection of where im at 

Front squats:

100kg 3x5 

really strained my left bicep of all things on these, nothing major but feels tight AF atm 

Leg press machine:

280kg 3x10 

Leg extension (both legs) 

20kg 3x20 

not much discomfort on these but then left the gym and knees started to tighten as i was riding home so probably going to ditch the extensions until my knees are 100% 

was preparation for a womans strongman comp next week at my gym where rob frampton will be reffing so he was in the gym today and first time ive seen him in person, big bastard to say the least, seemed a decent bloke though dishing out advice to everyone in the gym 

push day tomorrow then pull on tuesday, again having another week of cramped up training, this split is suppose to be M,W,F but im having some more work done on my arm on weds so rather take the rest of the week of instead of worrying about my arm rubbing on pieces of dirty equipment in the gym 

slins going well, its only novorapid but its helping with appetite, im pinning 10 iu post workout then 5iu later in the day

was seriously considering throwing in some drol to test the waters as its virtually the only compound ive not tried aside from primo but i decided to take the sensible option and leave it out since im already pushing it by being on 22 weeks then going back on after an 8 week cruise, if i start the drol today then its literally 22 weeks on and then 4 week cruise which is more or less just on flat out

update tomorrow after the push workout, got some tips from the locals strongman so should be able to put up a better performance on the axle clean and jerk but we will see..... i may film it, may not, check in tomorrow and find out :cool2:

push day

good overall except my axle clean and press still no where near where i want it to be and also the bench is still aggravating my shoulder, im certain its the wide competition style pad as im use to benching off regular commercial gym benches for the past 5 or so years and then i make the switch and start benching on a competition style bench with a wider pad and i start getting shoulder issues 

hopefully it goes away with time, might need to switch to incline for a bit and let the shoulder heal as that is a regular commercial gym style incline with a thinner pad 

here's what i was able to put up today 

Axle C&P

50kg x5
60kg x5
72.5kg x6 

Bench

100kg 2x5
112.5kg x5

Dumbbell incline

35kg 3x15 

this was the second set

Side laterals 

10kg 3x15

tricep rope extensions 

45kg 3x12

overall not a bad workout, chest, shoulders and tris feeling pumped, came home and shot 10iu slin and had my post WO shake
will shoot another 5iu in 3 hours time

4 weeks until introducing the gear and upping the kcals back to around 8000 (currently eating circa 7000) 

pull day tomorrow
speak to you's then