Stevie909

Pain in pad of hand

Been having a bit of bother with my left hand. On the underside where the 'pad' is at my thumb, when gripping anything I've been getting a sharp shooting pain. 

The worst its been was today, doing bench press. Lighter sets werent too bad but the heavier loads pressing on it caused me to stop. Still tender around the pad but only get the sharp pain when applying any pressure. 

All Google comes up with relates to arthritis and carpal tunnel which are more wrist based problems. My wrists are fine, it's just in my hand. Icing it at the moment, haven't taken any painkillers/anti inflammatorys. 

Will it just be a case of resting and icing or should I get up to minor injuries if it persists?

I have had this issue on and off for ages, when i push the area i get a sharp pain. Knocked my garage down recently with a 14lb hammer and it has started again. In for replys 

22 minutes ago, Jon.B said:

I have had this issue on and off for ages, when i push the area i get a sharp pain. Knocked my garage down recently with a 14lb hammer and it has started again. In for replys 

If it's pressure on a particular point on a bone then it could be a fracture, which is what I was wondering about for the OP as well.

9 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

Does it hurt if you just push the area with a finger on the other hand, or only when you are gripping something?

If I press down on it, it is a bit sore but nowhere near as bad when gripping. After icing it last night it's a little bit better but I fear as soon as I try to put any pressure on it that'll cause it to hurt again

Most likely it's not CTS, although the Median Nerve does supply the thumb, index, middle & half of the ring finger.

In my opinion, I think that the Flexor Retinaculum may well have been injured slightly.

But, a trip to your GP is always useful - well sometimes!! :rolleyes:

45 minutes ago, latblaster said:

Most likely it's not CTS, although the Median Nerve does supply the thumb, index, middle & half of the ring finger.

In my opinion, I think that the Flexor Retinaculum may well have been injured slightly.

But, a trip to your GP is always useful - well sometimes!! :rolleyes:

Yeah I've had cts before so I'm fairly confident it isn't that, or at least it isn't the main problem. 

Its just sprung to mind when it started hurting, was after doing a set of dips on parallel handles. When lowering my body down it was the same sharp pain. maybe the way my hands were positioned caused it or the fact I'm rather heavy lol 

ill keep with the icing at the mo, wil be ordering BPC for another issue so might see if that helps. If not a 3-4 week wait for a gp appt will be next step! Thanks for your input buddy

Thought I'd pop a quick update on this. Pain moved up to below thumb joint, and eventually lump formed (same pain as in pad of hand) lots of prodding and poking and eventually got a bit of glass/plastic out my hand.  Now its gone, zero pain anywhere lol