Bank account under review

Went tesco for a couple of things yesterday, thought I'd paid with my card but as I was leaving, one of the girls called me over to say I hadn't paid. Tried card again but machine said not authorised by issuer. Luckily I have two current accounts so used my other card.

tried to withdraw money from cash machine this morning and same message. 

Rang tesco bank and apparently my account is under review. Asked why but they couldn't tell me and said someone would ring me back. This was 09:20 today. 

Rang them again just now and still no change and no time frame on when they'll get back to me. 

i wouldn't mind but there's only a couple of hundred in there as when wage goes in weekly, my direct debits go straight to my natwest account and my tesco account is only used for petrol and shopping and the remaining money goes to my savings. its not like I'm laundering money or anything, there's never much in there. 

Has this happened to anyone else? 

Move told them on the phone I have a 2 year old and need shopping and fuel etc but that's not their problem. 

6 minutes ago, sen said:

Went tesco for a couple of things yesterday, thought I'd paid with my card but as I was leaving, one of the girls called me over to say I hadn't paid. Tried card again but machine said not authorised by issuer. Luckily I have two current accounts so used my other card.

Rang tesco bank and apparently my account is under review. Asked why but they couldn't tell me and said someone would ring me back. This was 09:20 today. 

Rang them again just now and still no change and no time frame on when they'll get back to me. 

i wouldn't mind but there's only a couple of hundred in there as when wage goes in weekly, my direct debits go straight to my natwest account and my tesco account is only used for petrol and shopping and the remaining money goes to my savings. its not like I'm laundering money or anything, there's never much in there. 

Move told them on the phone I have a 2 year old and need shopping and fuel etc but that's not their problem. 

Any dodgy payments been going in or out? 

Just now, FelonE said:

For 'supplements'

No mate. f**k all like that. Trainers from office. 2 direct debits and some petrol. 

I use my natwest account for gear cos money transfers take a lot less pissing about. 

I bank with Santander and they've been great if there's been any suspicious goings on (not by me I hasten to add) but they send a letter and call me on the phone asap; they don't say it's under review when I call them after failed payment or can't withdraw cash. If you've provided your details and confirmed its your account I would say (im not a banker) they are obliged to inform you the reason why there's an issue. 

Bloody hell, if there's no weird money coming or going from India or something then it's your money

i would ring again and speak to a manager and explain this leaves you without being able to get fuel so u can't get to work and u need an explanation now

Make a call to a solicitor for free advice as sounds wrong for the type of account and payment s you say you have made

21 minutes ago, bjaminny said:

I bank with Santander and they've been great if there's been any suspicious goings on (not by me I hasten to add) but they send a letter and call me on the phone asap; they don't say it's under review when I call them after failed payment or can't withdraw cash. If you've provided your details and confirmed its your account I would say (im not a banker) they are obliged to inform you the reason why there's an issue. 

"Yes sir your account is under review because we think you are a money laundering terrorist" 

they don't need to tell you as far as I'm aware but can only be for a reasonable time scale ? 

I assume the delays because tesco won't run your account, they will just provide a front end for you to interact with. The banking side (including fraud detection ) will be run on one of the major banks infrastructure. So tescos probably have to wait for the bank who host the account to respond to them, before responding to you.

Although this shouldn't be to long as banks usually have very quick sla response time in things like this.

I'm with Santander and they are very good - when I brought my truck via bank transfer (£15,000) they rang me within seconds to make sure it was me doing the transaction 

1 hour ago, BLUE(UK) said:

I'd instruct my employers to pay into a different account ASAP otherwise you'll have longer with no money if they take a while. 

Opening another account elsewhere mate. Gonna close this fucker soon as it's been sorted. 

1 hour ago, Denied said:

I assume the delays because tesco won't run your account, they will just provide a front end for you to interact with. The banking side (including fraud detection ) will be run on one of the major banks infrastructure. So tescos probably have to wait for the bank who host the account to respond to them, before responding to you.

Although this shouldn't be to long as banks usually have very quick sla response time in things like this.

Good name you have for this thread! Ha

1 hour ago, gycraig said:

"Yes sir your account is under review because we think you are a money laundering terrorist" 

they don't need to tell you as far as I'm aware but can only be for a reasonable time scale ? 

I'd say if someone has been up to no good and shifting kg's of White or Brown or some other illegal substance or lawbreaking activity and with huge amounts  of money going in and out of the account then they I'd imagine they wouldn't need to tell you but I reckon for OP, this isn't the case. 

1 hour ago, SILV3RBACK said:

So the bank can't tell u why you can't get YOUR money out?

I'd tell them to fvck off and take YOUR money elsewhere!!

Can't move my money at the moment, account is frozen! I've applied for a first direct account anyway so will be closing this one when they've sorted themselves out. 

i had a similar experience last year, i ordered a take-away from the local kebab shop and paid via debit card (not the 1st time either) the amount was like £20 or so.

the next day my account had been frozen,no funds in or out so i rang the bank and it was with the fraud department, something to do with where the money went via the takeaway order. it was sorted within a day though, never did find out what the issue was.

dodgy turkish fekkers lol

1 minute ago, big shrek said:

i had a similar experience last year, i ordered a take-away from the local kebab shop and paid via debit card (not the 1st time either) the amount was like £20 or so.

the next day my account had been frozen,no funds in or out so i rang the bank and it was with the fraud department, something to do with where the money went via the takeaway order. it was sorted within a day though, never did find out what the issue was.

dodgy turkish fekkers lol

I use an online site called 'just eat' to do my takeaway orders, they have most takeaways in  my area listed including my favourite chinese,seems very secure. 

6 hours ago, sen said:

Yeah had mine locked as I sent 5k from myself to myself they thought was suspicious lol

4 hours ago, sen said:

The thing that's annoyed me is no one told me. No email, text, phone call or f**k all. Just made me look like a dick when my card kept getting declined! 

FEDs got yah bro! RIP

Recently had this with Barclay's. Some kind of payments went in to my account and got transferred . I have been with them years yet they said i no longer meet the requirements to be a customer and closed my account.. Its a scam of some kind and the banks areunable to stop it so they just close the accounts.. I am livid and taking them to court

10 hours ago, gearchange said:

Recently had this with Barclay's. Some kind of payments went in to my account and got transferred . I have been with them years yet they said i no longer meet the requirements to be a customer and closed my account.. Its a scam of some kind and the banks areunable to stop it so they just close the accounts.. I am livid and taking them to court

Only others I can find on google are Barclays and loads have had their accounts closed. Did you lose whatever funds were in the account?