Greshie

Greshies New Beginning

Five years ago I started to lift weights, I was 53 years old and had just downshifted away from the rat race taking semi retirement, the slow and sometime faltering progress was chartered in my old journal 'Into the Deep End'. That journal is now closed.

Some of you will know I've had a sh1t year so far. I took on a temporary work contract that drained my energy and took away any work/life balance.  During this time my Mum was declining rapidly and passed away two days into a week's  holiday booked in March, so I didn't get a break. On returning to work things soon started to spiral downwards and eventually a couple of weeks ago I was signed off with depression.  At that point I took a good hard look at my life, one morning I listed a series of headings... Job, Relationships, Social Life, Holidays. Hobbies, Training etc and marked them out of 100... a couple of the headings got zero...  this focused my thoughts.  I resigned the contract and decided to take several months off.

The old journal had run it's course. In it's time I have broken both wrists and lost a testicle (the two events are not connected).  I have broadened out (in a good way) and gained strength and am fitter now than  5 years ago ( I have also gained several body piercings in the last two years too ;) ) .  I'm never going to be a bodybuilder or power lifter but at least I can try to look as good as possible for as long as possible ... and lets face it there are seniors older than me  out there who are competing and looking great for their years.

I have followed many different programs in the last 5 years and have the experience to create my own, but decided to follow a program from bodybuilding.com called Jim Stoppani's 12 week shortcut to size.  In truth it is a program I tried to do before however it became too difficult with the demands of work, but I rather liked the concept that underpinned it. 

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/shortcut-to-size-training.html

The program is based around periodisation, in other words changing the training at specified points .  To begin with you do light weights at high reps and as the program progresses the weights become heavier and the reps lower. The other element of this program is microcycles, where the weights and rep ranges are changed on a weekly basis.  Traditional periodisation routines the same weight/rep ranges might last a  month or more.

There will be four workouts a week lasting 12 weeks.  Now this wont be a straight 12 weeks as I intend to take a break down south in June and unless I can find a decent pay as you go gym in the Caterham area wont be training whilst away.  But I expect to finish by the middle of September when I have faithfully promised my best friends I will join them in the South of France on holiday.

Nutrition has always been hit and miss, more miss than hit actually. This is something else I shall focus on despite having to watch my expenditure whilst not working ...

The first session of this program begins tomorrow morning.... 

@Flubs @Mingster @Rykard @Dirk McQuickly @BestBefore1989 @Dai Jones   and anyone else who wants to follow :)

Bugger I must have overdosed on the 'Likes' yesterday so can't give  any more at the moment ... so thank you everyone for your kind words ;)   1st session coming up shortly ..

And it will be the first session in my shorts this year, the sun is shining. the skies are blue, and it's already hot  on the "Scottish Riviera"

14 hours ago, Greshie said:

, one morning I listed a series of headings... Job, Relationships, Social Life, Holidays. Hobbies, Training etc and marked them out of 100... a couple of the headings got zero...  this focused my thoughts. 

think i need to do this my self.

Good luck with the new program :)

Monday 9th May

Stoppani's Shortcut to Size

Week One Day One

Chest/Triceps/Calves

Bench press:- 1x12@30 w/u   1x12@40 1x15@45 1x15@50 1x11/4@55 rest/pause

Incline Wide Grip Bench Press:- 1x12@40 1x12@45 1x8/5 @50 rest/pause

Incline DB Flyes:-  1x15@11.8 1x12@14.3 1x12/6 @14.3 rest/pause

Flat DB Flyes:- 1x15@11.8  1x12@14.3 1x10/6 @ 14,3 rest/pause

Triceps Pushdown:- 1x15@20  1x15@25 1x15@30 1x12/6@ 35  rest/pause

Lying Triceps extension:- 1x12@19.3 1x13@19.3 1x13/5 @ 19.3 rest/pause

Decline EZ bar triceps Extensions:- 1x12@19.3 1x8@19.3 1x15@19.3  ... no rest pause too knackered

Calf raises:- 1x80/18 @ 38.2

Notes:-  This knackered me!  I've had to substitute a couple of exercises. I don't have cables.  So Flat Flyes were done instead of cable crossovers and decline EZ bar tricep exts instead of cable overhead triceps exts.  Found the rest/pause on the flyes difficult to achieve so paused when form started to go rather than at failure . Also failed on the decline triceps was running out of steam totally by that point.  Didn't even feel the calf raises, rest/pause happened when  I lost balance off the step.

At some point this week I need to look at the cable attachment on the cage, it's twisted so limits it's use.

Nutrition so far today has been  a large slice of melon and a small shake (this was supposed to be on waking ... on waking all I want is a cup of tea , which I took back to bed with me!) This was followed by my usual pre-workout fix of oats/banana/whey/rocket fuel/milk all whizzed together with some creatine and BCAA added to the mix. I'm supposed to have Stoppani's version of this pre/during/post workout but i neck this down before and then drink water during to keep up hydration levels. Had a  small shake afterwards with more creatine. Breakfat/brunch will be eggs mixed with low fat cheese. At some point I'll have some cottage cheese and pineapple, then dinner will be salmon and veg, with yet another shake before bed ....   This is not quite the Stoppani plan as I've added a post w/o shake and skipped his tuna mayo lunch ... I'll try to get more in line with his plan over the next few days...

Once I have recovered sufficiently , today will be finishing clearing out the loft and taking the cr@p to the tip. Then this afternoon will be spent flaked out in my summerhouse ...

Next Session will be tomorrow ... back/biceps/Abs   (I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the ABS on the Merc.....  oh my Abs? ..oh don't know where those are! :whistling::lol:  )

1 hour ago, Dai Jones said:

think i need to do this my self.

Good luck with the new program :)

It's a good thing to do @Dai Jones it helps you focus. Too often we are so immersed in the everyday that we lose sight of the bigger picture and the stuff that is important such as work/life balance and relationships. 

I wish I had done this earlier because some of the results make uncomfortable reading, and some of the conclusions I've come to are drastic.  It's really about being in control of your life and being assertive rather than just going with the flow or taking the easiest option.    

1 hour ago, Flubs said:

Morning Gershwin. Just checking in. It's piddling down where I am, boo! Hope your days goes well. 

Morning Flubbles :) ...overcast here but supposed to be 21 degrees today ...    and the wind has died down a little ... am hoping the rain stays south as we deserve some decent weather here in the Costa Del Scotland  :D

Tuesday 10th May

Week One Day Two

Back/Biceps/abs

DB Bent Over Rows:-  1x12@6.8 wu 1x15@11.8  1x15@16.8 1x15@19.3  1x20/8 @ 21.8  rest/pause

Wide Grip Pulldowns:- 1x15@20 1x15@25 1x15@30 1x15@35 1x10/6 @ 40   rest/pause

Standing Pulldowns:- 1x15@@25 1x15@30 1x8/6 @  35 rest/pause

Straight Arm Pulldowns:- 1x15@20 1x15@25 1x8/10 @30    rest/pause

BB Curls :- 1x15@30 1x15@35 1x12@40 1x10/6@45  rest/pause

DB Incline Curl:- 1x8@11.8 1x9@11.8 1x9/7@11.8  rest/Pause

Inner Bicep Curls:- 1x12@11.8 1x12@11.8  1x10/8 @ 11.8  rest/Pause

Hip Thrusts:-  20 20 20/6  r/p

Crunches:-  20 20 20/5 r/p

Oblique Crunches:-  10 10 15/8 r/p

Notes:-   This was a disrupted session, postman called during the final set of the straight arm pulldowns with a special delivery letter containing Mum's grant of probate, so I  had to 'phone Dad and then my Brother ...  Dad (who is 90) was cleaning his windows .....  and my Bro was out walking his neighbour's dog and 'phoned back during the BB curls .....

I totally messed up the weights on the wide grip pulldowns starting far too light and had to do an extra two sets before reaching failure, the subsequent pulldown exercises became  a law of diminishing returns as did the curls.  As I don't have a cable , high cable curls were changed to Inner bicep curls.  The incline curls were a little awkward as the preacher attachment on my bench got in the way so I'm thinking about swopping these for preachers...

And as for the Abs exercises lol ... the Hip thrusts were fine, but the crunches and obliques ...oh dear ... a lot of work is required on those, I could hardly get my torso off the floor!

Was reading Trained by JP's blog yesterday, he was talking about training lagging areas, of which my upper legs are a prime example ... he says train these areas more than once a week...  I shan't do anything this week and I don't particularly want to interfere with the Stoppani program but JP does have a point so I'm thinking of adding  leg extensions and lying leg curls in somewhere ... possibly on a rest day ...  the only other day would be shoulders/traps/calves as this is the shortest routine but that is the day before legs so may not be such a good idea.

I'm also having to think about getting some heavier plates for my Dumbbells, the max I've got are 5kg, and  I need to get some 7.5kg and 10kg plates ....

Yesterdays food included scrambled eggs with low fat cheese, cottage cheese mixed with pineapple ( I actually quite like that combo)  half a peanut butter sandwich and a shake, then for dinner cold chicken with cooked vegetables mixed with salad , the vegetables were overcooked and not nice. Then before bed a shake with peanut butter added.  I'm mixing protein  powder with Milk which  Stoppani doesn't specify but then that will counteract the fact that I'm skipping lunch... ( I hope)  when I get my act together I will start tracking everything on myfitnesspal again.

After showering I need to get the grant of probate stuff sent down to Dad, then tidy the house, I've a potential cat sitter coming to visit later, she charges £7.00 a visit which is almost half the price of the cattery and will disrupt the cats less.  I'm  hoping to go down south from the 3rd of June to the 14th Jun,  and have been given details of a gym in Caterham-on-the-Hill , just need to check they do payasyougo....

Thanks for reading all my waffle and hope you all have a good day ;)

ps next session Thursday ... the day SGN come to dig up my front  garden to reconnect me to the gas main... so not quite sure when training will happen

3 hours ago, Greshie said:

Tuesday 10th May

Week One Day Two

Back/Biceps/abs

DB Bent Over Rows:-  1x12@6.8 wu 1x15@11.8  1x15@16.8 1x15@19.3  1x20/8 @ 21.8  rest/pause

Wide Grip Pulldowns:- 1x15@20 1x15@25 1x15@30 1x15@35 1x10/6 @ 40   rest/pause

Standing Pulldowns:- 1x15@@25 1x15@30 1x8/6 @  35 rest/pause

Straight Arm Pulldowns:- 1x15@20 1x15@25 1x8/10 @30    rest/pause

BB Curls :- 1x15@30 1x15@35 1x12@40 1x10/6@45  rest/pause

DB Incline Curl:- 1x8@11.8 1x9@11.8 1x9/7@11.8  rest/Pause

Inner Bicep Curls:- 1x12@11.8 1x12@11.8  1x10/8 @ 11.8  rest/Pause

Hip Thrusts:-  20 20 20/6  r/p

Crunches:-  20 20 20/5 r/p

Oblique Crunches:-  10 10 15/8 r/p

Notes:-   This was a disrupted session, postman called during the final set of the straight arm pulldowns with a special delivery letter containing Mum's grant of probate, so I  had to 'phone Dad and then my Brother ...  Dad (who is 90) was cleaning his windows .....  and my Bro was out walking his neighbour's dog and 'phoned back during the BB curls .....

I totally messed up the weights on the wide grip pulldowns starting far too light and had to do an extra two sets before reaching failure, the subsequent pulldown exercises became  a law of diminishing returns as did the curls.  As I don't have a cable , high cable curls were changed to Inner bicep curls.  The incline curls were a little awkward as the preacher attachment on my bench got in the way so I'm thinking about swopping these for preachers...

And as for the Abs exercises lol ... the Hip thrusts were fine, but the crunches and obliques ...oh dear ... a lot of work is required on those, I could hardly get my torso off the floor!

Was reading Trained by JP's blog yesterday, he was talking about training lagging areas, of which my upper legs are a prime example ... he says train these areas more than once a week...  I shan't do anything this week and I don't particularly want to interfere with the Stoppani program but JP does have a point so I'm thinking of adding  leg extensions and lying leg curls in somewhere ... possibly on a rest day ...  the only other day would be shoulders/traps/calves as this is the shortest routine but that is the day before legs so may not be such a good idea.

I'm also having to think about getting some heavier plates for my Dumbbells, the max I've got are 5kg, and  I need to get some 7.5kg and 10kg plates ....

Yesterdays food included scrambled eggs with low fat cheese, cottage cheese mixed with pineapple ( I actually quite like that combo)  half a peanut butter sandwich and a shake, then for dinner cold chicken with cooked vegetables mixed with salad , the vegetables were overcooked and not nice. Then before bed a shake with peanut butter added.  I'm mixing protein  powder with Milk which  Stoppani doesn't specify but then that will counteract the fact that I'm skipping lunch... ( I hope)  when I get my act together I will start tracking everything on myfitnesspal again.

After showering I need to get the grant of probate stuff sent down to Dad, then tidy the house, I've a potential cat sitter coming to visit later, she charges £7.00 a visit which is almost half the price of the cattery and will disrupt the cats less.  I'm  hoping to go down south from the 3rd of June to the 14th Jun,  and have been given details of a gym in Caterham-on-the-Hill , just need to check they do payasyougo....

Thanks for reading all my waffle and hope you all have a good day ;)

ps next session Thursday ... the day SGN come to dig up my front  garden to reconnect me to the gas main... so not quite sure when training will happen

Good lord man!

Your only on day 2 of a 12 week program and already your considering changing it!

IMO you need to commit to the program, you picked it because it made sense to you and many others have enjoyed results from it.

Its only 12 weeks mate. Stick with it, change as little as possible and judge your results on where you are in 12 weeks time. Then If you still want to train legs twice a week, go for it.