Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So due to my piriformis being f**ked and finding out that my psoas is too tight, causing slight anterior pelvic tilt I have decided to do a few yoga poses to help stretch these muscles out and correct the imbalances I have created through constant heavy lifting, I have looked into the pigeon stretch and have already started a basic beginner routine to help me achieve this position, anyone know how long this will take with twice daily stretching to achieve? It looks like this for anyone who cares........

 

pigeon-pose.jpg

 

Now the question is can I be doing anything else that may help my problem? Is there any poses that can help to stretch my psoas directly? 

Probably not the best question for this board but thought I would give it a shot....... LOL

 

@Mildo

Your the only person I can think of that may have any knowledge of this........ just a long shot ;) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Yes said:

Can't help mate, sorry. 

But are you sure that those yoga stretches alone will help?

From what my pysio has told me this is the best way to stretch the piriformis and psoas. I will also be performing mobility work along side it and massaging with a lacross ball to get into the deep tissue. 

I was just curious as to whether there was anything more I could be doing? My hamstring flexibility is already as good as it gets, this is just the main problem area, dorsifexion is good, hips are slightly tight due to squatting volume over the years. 

Will also be doing a lot of lower abdominal exercises as there seems to be an imbalance there too, it will help keep my spine in a more neutral position. 

I might not be able to deadlift for months, it's mental fu**ing agony. :( 

At least I can still do upper body work and work on my bench more........ something that is lagging in my lifts. Just going to have to grit my teeth and get it done. :D 

It's the most painful stretch you could possibly imagine also...... not a fun experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Quackerz said:

From what my pysio has told me this is the best way to stretch the piriformis and psoas. I will also be performing mobility work along side it and massaging with a lacross ball to get into the deep tissue. 

I was just curious as to whether there was anything more I could be doing? My hamstring flexibility is already as good as it gets, this is just the main problem area, dorsifexion is good, hips are slightly tight due to squatting volume over the years. 

Will also be doing a lot of lower abdominal exercises as there seems to be an imbalance there too, it will help keep my spine in a more neutral position. 

I might not be able to deadlift for months, it's mental fu**ing agony. :( 

At least I can still do upper body work and work on my bench more........ something that is lagging in my lifts. Just going to have to grit my teeth and get it done. :D 

It's the most painful stretch you could possibly imagine also...... not a fun experience. 

Sorry, don't know. Youre far more knowledgable on the subject than I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just persist and it comes eventually, but its a lot more useful to hold a comfortable stretch longer than a difficult stretch for shorter. Problem is it takes time to go through a lot of routines. Same with you, my muscles have tighten up way too much over the years and it makes it a easier to injury myself in the gym, especially lower back

It will work no question,.... if you can persist. i can go well for about a month, see steady daily but slow progress, ...and eventually quit. 

I do that exercise but more lying on my leg, as I have a large imbalance between legs, rips the arse out of you.

A lot of the time when I am browsing this website, I am in some sort of stretch position.

Try a range and you will soon find out where the imbalances are or where the tightness is. I had a pelvic tilt (still do) caused but tight hamstrings, thought it was more glutes but chiropractor said hams are more the problem 

For the Poas, I find this helpful but it wouldn't be just isolated to this I'd have thought, usually the larger muscles can be the offending/contributing factor so I think its important to go through a range 

 

psoas-stretch1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JohhnyC said:

Just persist and it comes eventually, but its a lot more useful to hold a comfortable stretch longer than a difficult stretch for shorter. Problem is it takes time to go through a lot of routines. Same with you, my muscles have tighten up way too much over the years and it makes it a easier to injury myself in the gym, especially lower back

It will work no question,.... if you can persist. i can go well for about a month, see steady daily but slow progress, ...and eventually quit. 

I do that exercise but more lying on my leg, as I have a large imbalance between legs, rips the arse out of you.

A lot of the time when I am browsing this website, I am in some sort of stretch position.

 

Nice to hear I'm not alone. :D Did it put you out for long? 

This is what I have been doing the past week, I find it a lot more comfortable than on a table or chair, tried it with bands but could not feel the muscle properly....... 

 

 

 

I'll use this as a base and progress from there............

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Quackerz said:

Nice to hear I'm not alone. :D Did it put you out for long? 

This is what I have been doing the past week, I find it a lot more comfortable than on a table or chair, tried it with bands but could not feel the muscle properly....... 

 

 

 

I'll use this as a base and progress from there............

 

 

Mate over 25 years its the same pattern time and time again, I know its coming and do no stretching then quickly I can't lift as I sieze up, pain occurs. However in matter of weeks it reverts and I quit stop stretching like a muppet

I think getting back on track is pretty quick (days / 2 weeks) but the following months is crucial  to prevent re-occurrence, (not that I listen to my own advice). My front delts have been acting up lately and bench was becoming a problem as well as shoulders, a good week of stretching everyday and problem dissipated . I caught it in time but as I am on cycle I don't want to cock it up. Any time I am on cycle its sods law that I get injured, get the flu, have to go away etc 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JohhnyC said:

 

Mate over 25 years its the same pattern time and time again, I know its coming and do no stretching then quickly I can't lift as I sieze up, pain occurs. However in matter of weeks it reverts and I quit stop stretching like a muppet

I think getting back on track is pretty quick (days / 2 weeks) but the following months is crucial  to prevent re-occurrence, (not that I listen to my own advice). My front delts have been acting up lately and bench was becoming a problem as well as shoulders, a good week of stretching everyday and problem dissipated . I caught it in time but as I am on cycle I don't want to cock it up. Any time I am on cycle its sods law that I get injured, get the flu, have to go away etc 

 

 

 

 

Mental focus. Twenty minutes of your day should see you sorted mate, buy a foam roller and a lacross ball and learn how to self deep tissue massage also, works wonders. :D 

Best of luck and I hope you stop being a muppet and spend some time stretching........ three times a week at least....... :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm yoga qualified and those above exercises are great for what U need. The trouble is it's like anything u need to modify ur workouts around the problem area and ALWAYS stretch anyway...so many only stretch when they get an issue...just always do these and more and u won't hit times where ur stopped from training properly.  Holding the stretch is important too particularly at the end of workout u need to be holding for a good 3-5min.  That pic u put up first..if u can do that on something high like a table so ur standing it's better. 

Failing all this I can come give u some salutations if u like :smartass:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Skye666 said:

I'm yoga qualified and those above exercises are great for what U need. The trouble is it's like anything u need to modify ur workouts around the problem area and ALWAYS stretch anyway...so many only stretch when they get an issue...just always do these and more and u won't hit times where ur stopped from training properly.  Holding the stretch is important too particularly at the end of workout u need to be holding for a good 3-5min.  That pic u put up first..if u can do that on something high like a table so ur standing it's better. 

Failing all this I can come give u some salutations if u like :smartass:

 

post up a pic of the downward dog or gtfo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Skye666 said:

I'm yoga qualified and those above exercises are great for what U need. The trouble is it's like anything u need to modify ur workouts around the problem area and ALWAYS stretch anyway...so many only stretch when they get an issue...just always do these and more and u won't hit times where ur stopped from training properly.  Holding the stretch is important too particularly at the end of workout u need to be holding for a good 3-5min.  That pic u put up first..if u can do that on something high like a table so ur standing it's better. 

Failing all this I can come give u some salutations if u like :smartass:

 

The video I posted, would you reccomend it as a decent starting point to develop my felexibility? Or would you say performing this on a table is better? 

And three to five minutes! I have only been doing 90 seconds at most, guess I need to grow a pair and just get it done....... :D 

Should once daily with this amount of time be sufficient? 

Thanks for your input. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Quackerz 

I can't really add much to what has already been said as its great advice for sure.

Something else you may want to try is Thai Chi. I find doing this along with Yoga helps my coxic. The slow movements of harnessing energy to a specific point in the body can help a lot. 

I broke my back in 2006 and my coxic is twisted and sits slightly off to the left. I find both Yoga and Thai Chi helps greatly. Actually both are great for all round well being and certainly helps mental focus for the gym.

Another thing I would suggest is being mindful on what way you sit on a chair, couch, car etc as this can put pressure on the body.

Sorry I can't be off any more help than this ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mildo said:

@Quackerz 

I can't really add much to what has already been said as its great advice for sure.

Something else you may want to try is Thai Chi. I find doing this along with Yoga helps my coxic. The slow movements of harnessing energy to a specific point in the body can help a lot. 

I broke my back in 2006 and my coxic is twisted and sits slightly off to the left. I find both Yoga and Thai Chi helps greatly. Actually both are great for all round well being and certainly helps mental focus for the gym.

Another thing I would suggest is being mindful on what way you sit on a chair, couch, car etc as this can put pressure on the body.

Sorry I can't be off any more help than this ;) 

I'm not too clued up on thai chi but I am being more mindful of my core whist breathing, keeping it relaxed but pulling my lower abdominals inwards to hold my torso straight instead of in APT. I think this is basic thai chi principals if I am not mistaken? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Quackerz said:

I'm not too clued up on thai chi but I am being more mindful of my core whist breathing, keeping it relaxed but pulling my lower abdominals inwards to hold my torso straight instead of in APT. I think this is basic thai chi principals if I am not mistaken? 

watch this, all you need to know right there.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuXPEyO5HPW3H1vhJSUzG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Quackerz said:

Will do. Looks like some decent info....... c**t. :D 

Can't believe I haven't seen this.

and I just realised this is my new Facebook I spend way more time on here then on there lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×