jamiedilk

cardio on a cut?

hi guys and gals whats everyone preference on cardio whilst on a cut I have decided to do 3x 20 min cardio sessions a week then up it every 2 weeks to eventually every morning then after every weights session but wondered if people did it different or think I shouldn't do it like that ??

Like many here I do very little cardio when losing fat, and prefer to rely on eating less for the required calorie deficit. To a large degree it's personal preference how you split the calorie deficit between eating less and moving more, although relying solely on cardio is next to impossible. If someone is cutting to compete then cardio is more likely to become a factor for most in the latter stages, as it becomes harder to reduce food intake even more.

The problem with cardio for me is that it takes a lot of time/effort for relatively few calories used. It is far easier to eat 100 kcal less than do 100 kcal of cardio.

Edit: Oh, and if doing lots of cardio has a negative effect on your weight training then this is definitely a bad thing.

I do 30-40 minutes Fasted cardio (wether there's a difference in fasted cardio or not, I just do it). I just go a brisk walk with the dog. That was 3x per week, then upto 4, now it's 5 times per week. But that's because I have a holiday in 4 weeks and fat loss is stalling/pretty damn slow. 

Depends on goals, do you have a time limit? Up cardio when fat loss stalls...

24 minutes ago, jamiedilk said:

hi guys and gals whats everyone preference on cardio whilst on a cut I have decided to do 3x 20 min cardio sessions a week then up it every 2 weeks to eventually every morning then after every weights session but wondered if people did it different or think I shouldn't do it like that ??

Depends on how much deficit i want to create from cardio.

I think I will carry on doing cardio 3x per week for now and then if I happen to hit a wall I will up it !! ill up it to 3-40 mins steady cardio and see how I get on ... :) so much easier being fat lol

20 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

Like many here I do very little cardio when losing fat, and prefer to rely on eating less for the required calorie deficit. To a large degree it's personal preference how you split the calorie deficit between eating less and moving more, although relying solely on cardio is next to impossible. If someone is cutting to compete then cardio is more likely to become a factor for most in the latter stages, as it becomes harder to reduce food intake even more.

The problem with cardio for me is that it takes a lot of time/effort for relatively few calories used. It is far easier to eat 100 kcal less than do 100 kcal of cardio.

Edit: Oh, and if doing lots of cardio has a negative effect on your weight training then this is definitely a bad thing.

Know where your coming from.  It is dull, not fond of it myself and first thing to get dropped from my gym rountines. However with this website being called UK Muscle most of us will natural shy away or discard cardio but nevertheless it still trumps out most other things discussed here in terms of general and vital health. That has to be bourne in mind. Pity I don't practice what I preach :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, JohhnyC said:

Know where your coming from.  It is dull, not fond of it myself and first thing to get dropped from my gym rountines. However with this website being called UK Muscle most of us will natural shy away or discard cardio but nevertheless it still trumps out most other things discussed here in terms of general and vital health. That has to be bourne in mind. Pity I don't practice what I preach :rolleyes:

Agreed. I do cardio for health not fat loss, and actually do more cardio when bulking than cutting.

2 minutes ago, JohhnyC said:

Yeah I hate cardio but managed 40 mins this morning moderate walking and running lol

1 minute ago, Ultrasonic said:

Agreed. I do cardio for health not fat loss, and actually do more cardio when bulking than cutting.

same here, i feel "healthier" if I can run 10k but feel "better" and more confident if I lift weight. Mind you I have a heart condition so that is always at the back of my mind

4 minutes ago, JohhnyC said:

same here, i feel "healthier" if I can run 10k but feel "better" and more confident if I lift weight. Mind you I have a heart condition so that is always at the back of my mind

Weight training is good for general health as well of course :)

I actually enjoy moderate cardio. 

I do 30 mins per day for health benefits primarily. I just bought a decent semi-commercial cross trainer so do cardio at night whilst watching some Netflix. 

Weight in the a.m. before work. 

Been intent on adding in some hill sprints a few times per week but haven't quite been arsed yet to start them.