UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Probably Deficient In Everything, Where To Start??

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  DappaDonDave 
#1 ·
Hello All :)

Bit of background first, rewind to the end of last October, have always been a big boy (fat not muscle), last October weighed myself in Boots on their "industrial scales" and got the shock of my life, 30 stone 2 pounds at 37 years old and 5 foot 10, always carried it really well though and it had been a long time since I weighed myself so was a bit of a surreal moment :(

Enough was enough, there was no way on this earth I was going to ever weigh more than this and the verynext day it began, fast forward 4 months and 50kg has gone! Great achievement for me but still a long way to go, now I have achieved this through fasting, a bit like the 5 / 2 diet but turned upsiode down, so 5 days "fasting" 2 days eating, on the fasting days all I eat is around 150 - 250g of meat and usually maybe 30 - 50g of hard cheese, lots of water and not much of anything else. The 2 days I eat, which are generally Saturday and Sunday all I eat is 1 decent size meal that usually consists of a good protion of meat, piles of veg and then 3 or 4 pieces of fruit for afters, zero carb since October, well apart from what naturally occurs in the foods I am eating but nothing, not 1 single crumb of amnything flour related, bread, potato, rice, pasta not a single crumb :)

Now, yes this is extreme, yes it has been hard but the results have so far been great and I have lived by the idea that my body has more than enough of most things stored to not do me an serious damage, so far so good. For various reason I will go in to on another thread I only got back to the gym properly 3 weeks ago, I am there every day for gym, swim and sauna, gym at them moment consists of maily cardio (bike, treadmill and cross trainer) with leg presses and a very small amount of upper body, don't want to go wild on the weights yet until the bulk has gone. Swim 10 lengths every day (250m) and then unnwind in the sauna afterwards until I am on the verge of dying :)

After having a chat with a friend in the gym whois also a personal trainer (known him for years so all good intelling him what I am doing) he suggested taking some vitamins as I will be very deficient in all sorts by now, no symptoms to report really, feel m#ore healthy and alive than I have done for 20 years but got me thinking that he must be right as I am just not eating the foods regularly enough to keep these things at optimum levels.

Here is where you knowledgabkle lot come in, I need to start a daily vitamin "regime" but have no clue where to start and what, if anything would be a good thing to take to help me on my way, I am sure there are many things out there that will help but have no idea what.

I would rather not be taking hundreds of pills a day and do not have a £200+ per month budget, I am fine spending money on this but would like to somehow see a return for my invstment, also I would rather not go widly over RDA's either unless there is clear almost guaranteed benefit with minimal risk, I just want to make sure my body has all it needs to get the rest of this weight off, start to build muscle in the future and keep me in tip top health.

I am noob to vitamins and this kind of nutrition so please assume I have no clue what anything is (probablt don't anyway!), I know a bit about Zinc and have already decided to take a daily suppliment of this but apart from that have no clue so I thought I would try and tap into the wisdom and knowledge all you have built up :)

Thanks in advance :)

See less See more
#2 ·
id say a good multivit, try myprotein alphamen, on sale most of the time so wont break the bank. Also get a high strength omega 3, vitamin d and zma. The zma you can get in pound land, the rest on ebay or in the sales from one of the bulk providers. I got my vit d from gonutrition sale £3 for years supply.

#3 ·
Hi IB

Thanks for the reply, they do not have to be the cheapest there is, O am fine with spending up to say £50 a month, I want to make sure they are actually doing what they should, the reason I say this is that looking on here and also Google there seems to be a bit of a mixed opinion as to whether a multi vitamin is worth taking at all due to synthesised ingredients or soemting like that, so a bit torn on this and really do not know what to do.

What does Omega 3 and Vit d do? And, sorry, ZMA? What is it and what does that do? I could search Google for this information but thought you guys would be able to cut through the crap so to speak.

#4 ·
Hi IB

Thanks for the reply, they do not have to be the cheapest there is, O am fine with spending up to say £50 a month, I want to make sure they are actually doing what they should, the reason I say this is that looking on here and also Google there seems to be a bit of a mixed opinion as to whether a multi vitamin is worth taking at all due to synthesised ingredients or soemting like that, so a bit torn on this and really do not know what to do.

What does Omega 3 and Vit d do? And, sorry, ZMA? What is it and what does that do? I could search Google for this information but thought you guys would be able to cut through the crap so to speak.

Don't bother, eat more veges!

#5 ·
Hi Chris

1st I would like to congratulate you on your efforts and fat lost. That's some solid weight you've got rid of in a short time.

For some people vitamin supplement is a must, for some they believe they get it all in the food they eat. With the food industry the way it is I highly doubt it. If you live in the uk you will most likely be vit D deficient for sure.

Best way I have found to absorb most vits is through fruit and vegetable juices. Buy organic and juice away every day or every other day, add a good vit D supplement and you're good to go.

#11 ·
Hi ABC

Well what a video and a real eye opener as well, I have been prattling on about the basics of this (ie what our ancestors used to eat compared to us and most importantly how often they ate, this 3 meals a day thing is crap) for a good while now, this next step with all the vitamins, minerals and nutrients in fruit and veg makes total sense to me and is absolutely the way I want to be in the long term rather than popping loads of pills and suppliments and injections of this that and the other.

The fasting thing I find incredibly easy anyway, have been doing it since October so to do it and consume this much fruit and veg in juice form would be even easier for me at the stage I am now, I would be consuming a LOT more than I currently am but would be full to capacity with vits and mins, this 60 day fast would be agret thing for me to do now I think, 7 stone off already the next 5 achieved whilst brimming my body with good stuff seems like logic.

I need to do a bit of research first and get a decent juicer, recipes etc but I might just try and start this on Monday and see how I go with it, I have been to the guys website rebootwithjoe.com seems cool, loads of recipes and an active forum to boot, was a bit disappointed to see he has monetized it with all sort of extras, I can understand him wanting to do this he is a businessman at heart but he was already "well off" to begin with so it would have been great to see it totally free in a genuine "this will change your life" way, however saying that the core principles and recipes are free so, hey money makes the world go round, unfortuunately!

Thank you for sharing that movie with me I really feel like I have just had a light bulb moment...............

#16 ·
Hi ABC

Well what a video and a real eye opener as well, I have been prattling on about the basics of this (ie what our ancestors used to eat compared to us and most importantly how often they ate, this 3 meals a day thing is crap) for a good while now, this next step with all the vitamins, minerals and nutrients in fruit and veg makes total sense to me and is absolutely the way I want to be in the long term rather than popping loads of pills and suppliments and injections of this that and the other.

The fasting thing I find incredibly easy anyway, have been doing it since October so to do it and consume this much fruit and veg in juice form would be even easier for me at the stage I am now, I would be consuming a LOT more than I currently am but would be full to capacity with vits and mins, this 60 day fast would be agret thing for me to do now I think, 7 stone off already the next 5 achieved whilst brimming my body with good stuff seems like logic.

I need to do a bit of research first and get a decent juicer, recipes etc but I might just try and start this on Monday and see how I go with it, I have been to the guys website rebootwithjoe.com seems cool, loads of recipes and an active forum to boot, was a bit disappointed to see he has monetized it with all sort of extras, I can understand him wanting to do this he is a businessman at heart but he was already "well off" to begin with so it would have been great to see it totally free in a genuine "this will change your life" way, however saying that the core principles and recipes are free so, hey money makes the world go round, unfortuunately!

Thank you for sharing that movie with me I really feel like I have just had a light bulb moment...............
It's been three weeks...how are you doing?

#12 ·
im no scientist but i think you need to start eating a bit more normally. be careful juicing (personally i think its not a great idea).

Stick with green veg with each meal - cabbage, broccoli, kale, spinach. more healthy fats (not cheese) so virgin coconut oil, nuts (almonds, cashews etc)

You have done really well. maybe time to learn more about your TDEE and calories in/out so you can have a more normal diet (aim for 10% lower cals over the week for example). This means you can eat more normal foods that you enjoy and means its less of a chore.

plus you can do more in the gym smash the weights and keep getting fitter!

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
im no scientist but i think you need to start eating a bit more normally. be careful juicing (personally i think its not a great idea).

Stick with green veg with each meal - cabbage, broccoli, kale, spinach. more healthy fats (not cheese) so virgin coconut oil, nuts (almonds, cashews etc)

You have done really well. maybe time to learn more about your TDEE and calories in/out so you can have a more normal diet (aim for 10% lower cals over the week for example). This means you can eat more normal foods that you enjoy and means its less of a chore.

plus you can do more in the gym smash the weights and keep getting fitter!
100% this!

We have all seen yo-yo dieters and eating patterns like this one are why.

What you are doing has to be sustainable for life, otherwise when you try to go back to eating 'normally' you will still have no perception of a suitable portion size or, arguably what a decent, balanced meal consists of.

really well done on sticking to it and dropping so much weight, but I would totally recommend attempting to find a more long term, balanced approach.

a smaller deficit and regular exercise is really all that you need to sustained fat loss.

#14 ·
Hey.

First you will need to bridge the nutritional gap alongside with your diet with vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients essential for your body. I would suggest you watch the video below and see how you can bridge this gap.

Let me know if you require help or more information. I am happy to help

Jake :)

#15 ·
Congrats on taking charge of your health. That is a big step and you are well on your way. I have to agree with Sambuca on eating more greens and the healthy fats. A lot of people get the wrong information on what healthy fats are. Go online and do some research on healthy fats and it's benefits. http://www.livestrong.com/article/557726-eat-fat-to-burn-fat/ Just an article I enjoyed reading and thought you might too. I would include avocado's as well as they are a great source of healthy fats. Those kinds of fats will not make you gain weight, but it helps in some weight loss along with your cardio.

I know this is not a multi vitamin, but you can go to the store and get Emergen-C, which is a great source of B vitamins, vitamin C and electrolytes and other vitamins. Its a powder form and you just add 8 oz of water. I drink this everyday to keep my immune system up and it helps with energy. Just a suggestion for you. I also take a multi vitamin, but if you do choose one, make sure it is not a hard capsule form, it needs to be a gel form or a soft easy dissolve. The reason for this is hard capsules don't fully digest and just pass through your system, and you don't get the full benefits. Hope this helps some and keep up the good work. Stay focused on your goals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.