Sign in to follow this  
RepsForJesus

Nate Diaz v Conor McGregor

Entertaining, but theatrics and a limited skill set only get you so far in modern MMA. Barring the odd exception, Nate has lost every time he's fought someone decent that doesn't get goaded into a slugfest like Johnson allowed himself to fall to. He's got good hands and is tough but woefully lacking in footwork and wrestling. He got destroyed by Josh Thomson and Rafael dos Anjos and shut down by Henderson's movement and grappling. He's not a top ranked lightweight and has never looked like winning a title for a reason.

Nate vs. Conor would be a good fall back option as a fun fight that would undoubtedly draw if Conor were to come unstuck against championship calibre FWs and LWs. It's not a fight to make imminently though, I wouldn't be surprised if dos Anjos's performance doesn't spook Conor into staying exclusively at FW for 2016. I see him fighting Edgar and re-matching Aldo.

4 minutes ago, toecutter said:

Entertaining, but theatrics and a limited skill set only get you so far in modern MMA. Barring the odd exception, Nate has lost every time he's fought someone decent that doesn't get goaded into a slugfest like Johnson allowed himself to fall to. He's got good hands and is tough but woefully lacking in footwork and wrestling. He got destroyed by Josh Thomson and Rafael dos Anjos and shut down by Henderson's movement and grappling. He's not a top ranked lightweight and has never looked like winning a title for a reason.

Nate vs. Conor would be a good fall back option as a fun fight that would undoubtedly draw if Conor were to come unstuck against championship calibre FWs and LWs. It's not a fight to make imminently though, I wouldn't be surprised if dos Anjos's performance doesn't spook Conor into staying exclusively at FW for 2016. I see him fighting Edgar and re-matching Aldo.

he's a couple of good wins against quality opponents...Diaz is his own worse enemy, kinda like Nick, sometimes sets out to lose....think Diaz vs McGregor will get made, as it'll have loads of interest in it, wereas Dos Anjos, still hasn't got a big following...Edgar deserves the next shot, but McGregor wants to move up

19 minutes ago, toecutter said:

I wouldn't go as far as limited, the guys a 2nd grade black belt in bjj if i remember rightly, his boxing is top notch and for first time in my memory he actually blocked a few leg kicks against Johnson (that's impressive for any Diaz brother).

Yeah he got crushed by Thomson and RDA but RDA has gone on to prove himself to be top caliber opposition. As you've suggested I can't see McGregor stepping up just yet.

I think Diaz is the money fight, in that, it would allow him to step up but not have to drop the belt.

12 minutes ago, barsnack said:

he's a couple of good wins against quality opponents...Diaz is his own worse enemy, kinda like Nick, sometimes sets out to lose....think Diaz vs McGregor will get made, as it'll have loads of interest in it, wereas Dos Anjos, still hasn't got a big following...Edgar deserves the next shot, but McGregor wants to move up

Yeah got to agree here but these boys just wanna fight, they don't wanna play that corporate game. Like Nate doesn't even seem interested in a rematch with RDA 'cause they have already fought.

I love Edgar but i think thats an easy W for McGregor now....

2 minutes ago, RepsForJesus said:

I wouldn't go as far as limited, the guys a 2nd grade black belt in bjj if i remember rightly, his boxing is top notch and for first time in my memory he actually blocked a few leg kicks against Johnson (that's impressive for any Diaz brother).

Yeah he got crushed by Thomson and RDA but RDA has gone on to prove himself to be top caliber opposition. As you've suggested I can't see McGregor stepping up just yet.

I think Diaz is the money fight, in that, it would allow him to step up but not have to drop the belt.

Yeah got to agree here but these boys just wanna fight, they don't wanna play that corporate game. Like Nate doesn't even seem interested in a rematch with RDA 'cause they have already fought.

I love Edgar but i think thats an easy W for McGregor now....

Mendes showed McGregor is open to be taken down, I would expect Edgar to do the same...Mendes opened a nasty cut above mcGregors eye as well...Still expect a McGregor win, but think Wrestlers are his weak point...Cant see him beating Dos Anjos...UFC are looking at booking McGregor in at Croke Park for UFC 200...They'll want the most lucrative name, which is probably Diaz, due to the interest in the build up...but who knows

Just now, barsnack said:

Mendes showed McGregor is open to be taken down, I would expect Edgar to do the same...Mendes opened a nasty cut above mcGregors eye as well...Still expect a McGregor win, but think Wrestlers are his weak point...Cant see him beating Dos Anjos...UFC are looking at booking McGregor in at Croke Park for UFC 200...They'll want the most lucrative name, which is probably Diaz, due to the interest in the build up...but who knows

True, and i reckon a full camped Mendes might have actually went on to beat him but I must admit McGregors defeat of Aldo has really made me take notice (although if Joe Rogan is to be believed, it was a different non juiced up Aldo that lost that fight and his team are actually 0-8 since the testing rules changed), his striking is just so powerful for that weight class and his reach / movement would be too much for Edgar.

A packed out Croke Park for a McGregor fight would be insane...

Any McGregor fight is a money fight.

Diaz fights are "fun fights" at best. Same as putting Shogun, Rampage, etc, on a card. They've got name value with a certain portion of MMA fans and are usually entertaining to watch, but the majority of fans also like to see championship fights, the best fighting the best.

Just now, RepsForJesus said:

True, and i reckon a full camped Mendes might have actually went on to beat him but I must admit McGregors defeat of Aldo has really made me take notice (although if Joe Rogan is to be believed, it was a different non juiced up Aldo that lost that fight and his team are actually 0-8 since the testing rules changed), his striking is just so powerful for that weight class and his reach / movement would be too much for Edgar.

A packed out Croke Park for a McGregor fight would be insane...

80,000 in Croke would be epic...yeah I read that Aldo team is 1-8 with the new testing rules lol...Aldo was beat before he got in the Octagon..his head was down, no confidence etc

1 minute ago, toecutter said:

Any McGregor fight is a money fight.

Diaz fights are "fun fights" at best. Same as putting Shogun, Rampage, etc, on a card. They've got name value with a certain portion of MMA fans and are usually entertaining to watch, but the majority of fans also like to see championship fights, the best fighting the best.

McGregor vs whoever

Holm vs Rousey

Rockhold vs Belfort

Jones vs Cromier

Oh how I pray

A huge fan-set will want to see Diaz fight McGregor. who wouldnt.... Diaz is entertaining and even Joe average now knows who Conor McGregor is even if they don't know any other fighters. The trash talk and build up would hype the fight no-end. 

For the purists.... Edgar vs Mcgregor would be the fight to see.  

But then you have to give Aldo the respect he deserves and give him the rematch if he wants it too... 

Mcgregor wants the LW title to replicate his two-weight title hold in Cage Warriors. 

either way 2016 will mean more cash for the UFC and McGregor, Dana White has always wanted someone like McGregor and now he has him,

Nate Diaz has defeated Conor McGregor.

Great fight but ultimately weight classes exist for a reason. Much harder for a smaller man to really get inside and land anything devastating against someone with natural attributes like range, as Conor himself enjoys at Featherweight. Once Nate started to establish his rangy Boxing and jabs, Conor was getting tagged and hurt by the bigger man. Conor shot for a poorly timed and desperate take down to stop the punishment, and Diaz's BJJ sealed the deal with a rear naked choke within seconds of the fight hitting the mat.

McGregor perhaps felt under pressure this time as Diaz is someone that won't fall for his trash-talking and fight emotionally and tense like Aldo appeared. Nate has been doing this for years and had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Despite Conor's hype, it's a sobering reality check. We must remember that he's only won 2 really note-worthy fights and both kind of have asterisks next to them in the sense that Mendes was clearly in poor shape, fighting on short notice and it was a flash KO that stopped Aldo. We've seen that before - Velasquez/dos Santos 1 for example - and the rematches can be markedly different.

33 minutes ago, toecutter said:

Nate Diaz has defeated Conor McGregor.

Great fight but ultimately weight classes exist for a reason. Much harder for a smaller man to really get inside and land anything devastating against someone with natural attributes like range, as Conor himself enjoys at Featherweight. Once Nate started to establish his rangy Boxing and jabs, Conor was getting tagged and hurt by the bigger man. Conor shot for a poorly timed and desperate take down to stop the punishment, and Diaz's BJJ sealed the deal with a rear naked choke within seconds of the fight hitting the mat.

McGregor perhaps felt under pressure this time as Diaz is someone that won't fall for his trash-talking and fight emotionally and tense like Aldo appeared. Nate has been doing this for years and had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Despite Conor's hype, it's a sobering reality check. We must remember that he's only won 2 really note-worthy fights and both kind of have asterisks next to them in the sense that Mendes was clearly in poor shape, fighting on short notice and it was a flash KO that stopped Aldo. We've seen that before - Velasquez/dos Santos 1 for example - and the rematches can be markedly different.

Good analysis but i cant stand this weight thing

Its being made into too big of an issue. Connor didnt do anything special. All he did do WAS NOT CUT ANY WEIGHT

Guess what diaz did, probably cut a couple of pounds , why ? because he just rolled off the couch on 10 days notice

The weight cut was a non issue.

Mcgregor has atleast a 12 week training camp, got in probably hundreds of rounds sparring, all that preparation vs someone who wasnt in fighting shape and hadnt done and did not do any sparring.

The fact Mcgregor lost that fight, shows how good nate is. What Nate said at the press conference was correct, he won because he was the better martial artist

Connor going on before the fight in true warfare weight is meaningless, weight doesnt matter blah blah, soon as he fights a guy his own size he loses, first reasons he gives ooooo bigger guy

Dont get me wrong connor is a great fighter but i feel this fight is the end of him. If he rematches Aldo at 200 i think aldo will also beat him, then what is left ?

Doesnt matter to him really though as he probably has 30 million dollars. Hes played the game brilliantly

4 minutes ago, 0161M said:

Guess what diaz did, probably cut a couple of pounds , why ? because he just rolled off the couch on 10 days notice

The weight cut was a non issue.

Diaz was training and competing in triathalons. Hardly rolling off of the couch.

And the weight is an issue when you're preparing for a 155lb fight and suddenly need to be at 170lb within 10 days notice. It's hard to do, which was proven as McG could only get to 168lb. 

9 minutes ago, Rogan said:

Diaz was training and competing in triathalons. Hardly rolling off of the couch.

And the weight is an issue when you're preparing for a 155lb fight and suddenly need to be at 170lb within 10 days notice. It's hard to do, which was proven as McG could only get to 168lb. 

Connors own line, in true warfare weight is not an issue, just youtube all about mcgregor talking about how weight doesnt matter etc etc

So why is weight an issue ?

Who would you rather be person A. who gets 12 weeks minimum to prepare for a 5 round championship fight and get to train through hundreds of fight simulations or person B. who weighs 5 pounds more but gets no fight training preparation what so ever ?

Connor had every single advantage you could possibly want going into that fight. Nate might have been a few pounds heavier, so ? and it was heavier because of bodyfat, there was no added muscle on nate from his last fight, only added visible bodyfat. So he had a couple pounds of fat on connor lol

The fact is nate is a better fighter. Connor couldnt believe nate could take his best shots and just keep walking forwards, eventually it got to him, he took a shot, wobbled, and became.............a panicked grappler

41 minutes ago, Rogan said:

If Diaz cut to 150 he'd be just skin and bone, he's holding hardly any mass compared to McGregor.

I

Said to my mate yest i thought conner was takin nate to lightly 

He seem to think he was just goin land an ko him 

hes been pushed to f**k coz hes irish no other reason 

hes tapped in to the american thing of all pretending there irish 

dont get me wrong i like conner wanted him to win but think he got caught up in his own hype 

52 minutes ago, 0161M said:

Connors own line, in true warfare weight is not an issue, just youtube all about mcgregor talking about how weight doesnt matter etc etc

So why is weight an issue ?

Who would you rather be person A. who gets 12 weeks minimum to prepare for a 5 round championship fight and get to train through hundreds of fight simulations or person B. who weighs 5 pounds more but gets no fight training preparation what so ever ?

Connor had every single advantage you could possibly want going into that fight. Nate might have been a few pounds heavier, so ? and it was heavier because of bodyfat, there was no added muscle on nate from his last fight, only added visible bodyfat. So he had a couple pounds of fat on connor lol

The fact is nate is a better fighter. Connor couldnt believe nate could take his best shots and just keep walking forwards, eventually it got to him, he took a shot, wobbled, and became.............a panicked grappler

I'm not defending Conor, I don't even like him. And he isn't right when he says weight is not an issue. Weight is clearly an issue. He's walked through the Featherweight division and thought he'd do it at Lightweight / Welterweight and has ultimately failed.

Weight plays a part in everything, no matter how much Conor will try to deny it.

Needs to work on defense, ground-game, and make the jump up naturally, not forced and in quick time....McGregor was dominating, but Diaz pretty much had him out on his feet.....McGregor needs to spend less time with that movement s**t (them spinning kicks were wank), and focus more on MMA...I still think McGregor will make a big splash at featherweight and lightweight...welterweight, he should stay away from....Mcdonald, Lawlor, Woodley, Condit, Nick Diaz would spark him

Feel bad for Meisha Tate, no one will talk about her win, which was great

5 minutes ago, barsnack said:

Needs to work on defense, ground-game, and make the jump up naturally, not forced and in quick time....McGregor was dominating, but Diaz pretty much had him out on his feet.....McGregor needs to spend less time with that movement s**t (them spinning kicks were wank), and focus more on MMA...I still think McGregor will make a big splash at featherweight and lightweight...welterweight, he should stay away from....Mcdonald, Lawlor, Woodley, Condit, Nick Diaz would spark him

Feel bad for Meisha Tate, no one will talk about her win, which was great

well said! my thoughts exactly. 

love meisha tate, sexy as f**k! 

Just now, barsnack said:

her boyfriends a fu**ing knob...will be interesting to see if they give holm a rematch or Nunes

yes, he is a prize t**t!

No rematch! im sick of every cent getting a rematch, unless it was super close (think jones vs gustafson) then they should have at least one fight before being back in the mix.

Frankie should get next shot at conor NOT aldo.

looking forward to Jones v cormier (think jones will smash him this time)