Sign in to follow this  
neverminder

Swimming

So I'm in kind of a maintenance/cutting mode. I always hit the gym first time in the morning - doing 4 days lifting (4 day split) and 3 days of cardio (running 5 km at moderate speed) per week. Problem is, the rest of the time I literally sit on my ass (desk job), so I was thinking, given my routine, how would a 20 minute swim during a lunch break on workdays sound? My main concern is - would it have a negative effect on my recovery?

Swimming is probably less likely to interfere with training than running, since swimming is non-impact. But you're already pretty active so you don't really need more activity from a health point of view I'd have thought. If the idea is to lose weight I'd be more tempted to eat less rather than add more exercise.

eventhou swimming is a great exercise and fun, what ultrasonic says it is true.

"Pain is temporary, Pride is forever»                                        

Swimming is a good form of exercise that can maintain fitness and helps to lose weight. Its a simple and best exercise that gives us freshness and makes our mind stress free.

But is it better than Zumba?

Im no expert but I used to do a run and weights 3 x week and circuit training x 2 before work.

Swim 4x week each lunch time.

Like you I sat at a desk all day. I found it helped a little with soreness of the legs as I was using them a little rather than just sat still. Always kept chest and tri's to a Friday when I didn't swim simply just nothing left in the muscles to swim.  

Like others have said its probably over training really but I enjoyed it, had nothing else to do so just did it.

Swimming is one of the best cardio you can do! Especially front crawl as lungs are limited by timing of breath. 

Very little impact on joints too and good for posture&  flexibility.

As for effecting recovery, yes I found it does to a degree, depending on how hard you push it. I found shoulders particularly affected but I was swimming at somewhat fast pace. 1mile in 32mins.

But drop the pace,  change stroke and it will be fine. But you're doing other cardio so maybe substitute.