Amazin

is it actually possible to get 40-50g of protein per meal from veg?

yes it is, how much actually protein are you going to get, do you think you are going to get an 80 or 90%take up from veg protein, in it normal form, you would have to graze like a cow, tell me the diet I would need to get me at 210lbs to get what those in the bodybuilding world considers to be sufficient, the quality of protein form any veg is not that you would get from an egg, I don't even count protein from poor sources.

what you meant to say is simply not true, in your opinion!!

I used to have the same opinion of you mate, until I did a bit of research, type 'vegetarian bodybuilders diet' into Google, shìt loads of information on it and proof that it does work. I see a lot using pea protein powders and others to bump the levels up.

I don't believe the amino acid profile is good enough in veg for you to actually derive protein from it in any large amount, some people count wholemeal bread as protein stating that there is 6 grams in every round, but at best they would only derive around 20% of this so if they ate 6 rounds per day they would get maybe 5 grams or so.

Eggs, milk, nuts, pulses, eggs being by far the best, but you would have to eat a lot of eggs to attain enough to aid you in bodybuilding.

Was Bill Pearl always a veggie??? I cant see that when he was a Marine?!

There's a few things to consider... first, the protein macro target a person is trying to hit is a guesstimate a best; whatever formula it is derived from wont presume that every gram of protein you eat is 100% bio-available and has a full amino profile... it will take into consideration variances in sources.

Secondly foods aren't digested in isolation. If there are amino missing from one food, these might be obtained from another food.

There's a few things to consider... first, the protein macro target a person is trying to hit is a guesstimate a best; whatever formula it is derived from wont presume that every gram of protein you eat is 100% bio-available and has a full amino profile... it will take into consideration variances in sources.

Secondly foods aren't digested in isolation. If there are amino missing from one food, these might be obtained from another food.

Yes I understand the amino soup idea, but if you are eating foods deficient in these amino's then how are you going to raise the poor profile, given a vegetarian meal sufficient in all these amino's, and the normal answer is all 9 amino's but to build a complete protein there are many more, I am not dismissing, I am just saying I don't believe you can derive as good a protein source from veg alone.

I put meals together all the time to compliment each other in this way.

I used to have the same opinion of you mate, until I did a bit of research, type 'vegetarian bodybuilders diet' into Google, shìt loads of information on it and proof that it does work. I see a lot using pea protein powders and others to bump the levels up.

Can you give me a name of a top vegetarian/vegan bodybuilder, yes if you really start to put many protein sources together you can start to get a better bio availability but it is going to fail in all most all, it is going to be a task and a half, if someone can show me a vegetarian meal that has the right numbers of aminos required, i'll eat it myelf.

If someone was selling soy protein in big bags I would buy it and add it to my normal protein in small amounts, but I am not sure on the way some of these proteins are procured, soy products get slammed these days, and tofu is apparently the source of all evil.

Like others have said its definately possible.  Beans are one of my main sources of protein as a vegan.  I have alot of kidney beans and rice, mixed beans in rice.  Nothing fancy.  You can get kidney beans or mixed beans in vegan chilli sauce for about 60p in Sainsburys and i just get some micro brown rice or mushroom rice for 60p also and combine them.  Tasty filling meal thats cheap, piece of piss to make and a good amount of carbs/protein.  I also have smoothies with 30g soy protein, 100g oats, 3 or so bananas and some peanut butter.  They're super nice and I havnt worked it out but its easy over 40g of protein and prob around 1000 cals, I have 2 a day religeously lol.

One thing that I found hard as a vegan (4 years as a vegan) was that its harder to get a high protein diet at the same calorie level as an omnivorous diet. An example is, in 500 calories of whey isolate I can get 120g of protein, almost no fat and no carbs. In 500 calories of chicken breast I can get 100g protein, almost no fat and no carbs.

To get that out of say beans and lentils, I would be consuming way, way more calories. 500 calories of kidney beans offers around 45 grams of protein, takes forever to eat.

The same is true of most vegan protein sources besides pea protein isolate etc, but they were so awful I struggled to take them consistently. 

8 hours ago, JP92 said:

One thing that I found hard as a vegan (4 years as a vegan) was that its harder to get a high protein diet at the same calorie level as an omnivorous diet. An example is, in 500 calories of whey isolate I can get 120g of protein, almost no fat and no carbs. In 500 calories of chicken breast I can get 100g protein, almost no fat and no carbs.

To get that out of say beans and lentils, I would be consuming way, way more calories. 500 calories of kidney beans offers around 45 grams of protein, takes forever to eat.

The same is true of most vegan protein sources besides pea protein isolate etc, but they were so awful I struggled to take them consistently. 

But you don't need lots of protein so it doesn't matter. Plus Seitan is 80% protein if one was to really want high protein

pea protein is not that good.

textured vegetable protein has about 25 gm of protein per 1/2 cup

soy protein isolate (27 quid for 5kg from trade ingredients) is a complete protein and can be used to cook all sorts and make

protein shakes. guaranteed not to make you grow tits lmao

6 minutes ago, unclezillion said:

pea protein is not that good...

soy protein isolate (27 quid for 5kg from trade ingredients) is a complete protein and can be used to cook all sorts and make

Soy has been shown to be less effective than whey though which is thought to be due to the lower leucine content. Pea protein is therefore probably better than soy for people OK with the taste (since pea protein has higher leucine content).

4 hours ago, Ultrasonic said:

Soy has been shown to be less effective than whey though which is thought to be due to the lower leucine content. Pea protein is therefore probably better than soy for people OK with the taste (since pea protein has higher leucine content).

not tried pea but soy works fine for me :)

19 minutes ago, Ultrasonic said:

Sure. Just commenting on what might be slightly better rather than soy being useless.

i will try it to see. 

in Thailand pea is double the price of soy but 2kg for 14 quid in the UK  is worth a  test. soy is about 9 quid a kg, whey protein isolate unflavoured is similar to the UK

my shakes at the moment are 1 scoop Dymatize ISO 100 and 1/2 a scoop of unflovoured soy protein isolate: I  can't handle the sweetness of dymatize :(

i was on soy alone for a couple of years and loved it. its great with fat free milk, ice,  banana,  mango or cocoa and stevia for a sweetener.

30 minutes ago, unclezillion said:

i will try it to see. 

in Thailand pea is double the price of soy but 2kg for 14 quid in the UK  is worth a  test. soy is about 9 quid a kg, whey protein isolate unflavoured is similar to the UK

my shakes at the moment are 1 scoop Dymatize ISO 100 and 1/2 a scoop of unflovoured soy protein isolate: I  can't handle the sweetness of dymatize :(

i was on soy alone for a couple of years and loved it. its great with fat free milk, ice,  banana,  mango or cocoa and stevia for a sweetener.

Any difference would not be worth twice the price so I wouldn't bother.

(I posted purely in response to your 'complete protein' comment, as there is a little more to it.)

7 hours ago, unclezillion said:

this guy is a vegan :)   patrik baboumian

885bf8150bc69f5086f0cb6fe017541a--bodybu

not the biggest out there but you can do it :)

Not gonna mention that he trained for over 15 years as a meat eater (likely building most of his size and strength within that period) before turning veggie?

he had been  a veggy for 7 years when he set his strength records i think you will find that reasonably conclusive 

that a veggy diet can work :)

also seeing he turned veggy at 25 i doubt he trained for 15 years as a carnivore :D but we won't mention that either ;)

I do just fine without any animal parts or derivatives.

It's a great idea to add pulses and good grains to your meals, top everything with chia seeds or nutritional yeast, take in a couple of pea protein powder shakes in a day and you're golden. Find a non-dairy milk that you enjoy and do a bottle every day or two if you want.

You absolutely DO NOT need to contribute to the slaughter and exploitation of animals to build muscle.