UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

poached eggs help

5K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  TELBOR 
#1 ·
i love poached eggs but was just after peoples opinions on egg poaching pods/silicone holders anyone use them, do they work/taste as nice?

also seen pans with built in holders for the eggs anyone use these?

Whenever i poach eggs in the pan i seem to loose half the eggs into the misty water and left with lots of stringy floating bits when emptying the pan.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

#3 ·
Ian_Montrose said:
I've got one of the pans with the four holders in it. Works fine. For poaching eggs in a pan, add a spoonful of vinegar and stir the water to get a little whirlpool going just before you drop the egg in.
This vinegar is the key it's stop the egg splitting and dividing ! You don't necessarily need the swirling especially if you're doing more than one egg in a pan!!

#6 ·
I've got the little silicone pod things. They're fine, don't make the egg taste funny. Just remember to butter them inside before adding the egg. Don't have the water bubbling too fast/high as you can get water in with the pod.

I poach them in water with vinegar sometimes but it's a bit hit and miss for me.

#9 ·
You need to use the freshest eggs possible, otherwise the white of the egg, which should have a jelly like texture begins to break down and turn watery the older the egg is. My method is to boil a kettle then pour the water into a cold pan, this cools the water down to about 80-85 degrees which is perfect for poached eggs. Break the egg onto a saucer or ramekin, if there is some watery egg white then pour it away between your fingers, drop the egg gently into the water, no need to stir, leave for 3 mins. Hey presto. I dont add vinegar either as it affects the taste imo.

#11 ·
I've been working on my egg poaching technique for a few weeks now.

Vinegar helps, but with regards to getting it right, the best trick I can advise is putting the egg in FAST from a low high into water that isn't boiling hard.

Good quality eggs are essential as ****ty eggs have low dexterity.

The silcone things are OK if, but not as good as the real thing. If you use them put a lid on the pan to cook them evenly

#13 ·
R0BLET said:
Boil water, add vinegar, crack eggs into a cup or something, whisk boiling water, pour eggs in the opposite way to the water going around - wraps egg whites around the yoke.

Voila, perfect poached eggs with lots of white left with them :beer:
I might have to try that, do you put them in the microwave after?

#18 ·
just plop them in, don't let it boil... it breaks the whites up. Just get it steaming hot and they key to getting a good shape is how clean and quick you crack the eggs. If half the whites got into the pan before the yolk it won't be perfect.

Eggs need to be fresh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.