Sign in to follow this  
LittleChris

Journey to the Stage

I have posted on here before and ran a journal for my last prep which seems a long time ago. Competed in the U90kg Inters and came 4th, narrowly missing out on 3rd from feedback. In the intervening period I have taken time to add some muscle and overindulged in the food as per usual. Peaked at 243lbs, but far too much of that was needless weight.

Now 13 weeks out from the first show of the year, which will be the NABBA England Novice class. The following week will be the UKBFF Leamington Spa most likely the U90kg Inters, and then if I qualify the Brits or alternatively the NABBA UK. Although need to find out the rules here if place at NABBA England what class will have to do at the UK as Class 2 could end up being a massacre!

Aim is to place at the shows, but more importantly for me to come in much sharper and showing improvements from the last show.

Training is 2 on 1 off, 2 on 1 off and repeat. (Split is Legs/Chest and biceps/ rest/ Back/ shoulders and triceps/Rest)

Cardio is 30mins on waking fasted at 120-130BPM and this week HIIT cardio has been introduced at 10mins PWO.

Diet is fairly standard and am being guided along by Robert Craig (Rab). Using Optimus Protein for their great taste and super value. Red meat, chicken, oats, eggs, peanut/cashew butter, EVOO, Extra virgin avocado oil. All the staples really.

Current weight on waking is 215.6lbs, will post some pictures next weekend to give a clear indication on condition.

Edited by LittleChris

nice to see you posting again mate.

Other journal died a slow death as didnt come over here much to update as wasn't anything particularly interesting going on.

At least with prep more involved and hopefully will be of more interest.

At the moment issues with right knee so legs are being adapted. Was squatting 235kg for reps, but then went down to 160 for 3 sets of 150 but that also caused issues and no signs of improving so now hams are hit first, and then quads are more about time under tension and higher volume.

Also working on stretches for the quads, ham and IT band to see if tightness in these areas has caused issues with the knee.

Drove over to Phoenix gym in Swindon this afternoon to hit legs are more varied equipment. Trained here for a year when lived in Swindon and a great little hardcore gym run by Barney Du Plessis who has plenty of knowledge and very helpful as well. Would have liked to have done more on quads but going steady with them for the moment.

Lying ham curl

12.5kg x 10

15kg x 10

30kg x 7

30kg x 5-2

20kg x 12

Glute ham raise on pulldown machine

BW X 10

BW +2.5kg x 8

BW +2.kg x 6

Standing single leg curl done alternately

15kg x 12

20kg x 15

30kg x 11(left) 12(right)

40kg x 5(left) 6 (right)

Leg extensions: 1 sec hold at peak, 3 sec negative

20kg x 15

20kg x 12

20kg x 12

Pscarb leg press

300kg x 10- 6 sets, 10 sec rest

10minutes HIIT on crosstrainer

Subbed! I'm prepping for the nabba England and UK shows too so will see you there. :thumb:

What class do you compete in? See you there then :)

I will have a look over your journal, seems an awful lot of pages so I will be selective!

What class do you compete in? See you there then :)

I will have a look over your journal, seems an awful lot of pages so I will be selective!

Toned figure class. Lol, it has got quite lengthy now, but I've recently updated the first post with what went on last year.

Push session completed. Didn't manage to get onto the decline BB so started with the low incline smith for a change. Reasonable session overall, no spotter so no forced reps.

Low incline smith

60kg x 10

100kg x 10

120kg x 1

140kg x 5, drop to 120kg x 5

120kg x 7

100kg x 9

Low DB incline press

40kg x 14

40kg x 11

40kg x 10

Dips

BW+20kg x 10

BW+60kg x 7

BW+60kg x 5, drop to 40kg x 5

DB alternate curls

22kg DB x 16

x10 then 14kg simultaneously x 6

10mins HIIT on cross-trainer

Well have sold the motorbike this evening and got what I was expecting, although slightly less than I had been hoping. Helps the financial strain until payday though as had been expensive month so far with new car. Night off the weights tonight, so will indulge in Luther a little later on.

Compression tights full length have arrived from Amazon so looking forward to my next leg session with those.

UKBFF Muscletalk show on the Sunday so be good to see people up there and keep me working as hard as possible.

Pleased with DLs as weights up, will try again next week and see what can be done, although another 10kg jump for more reps than previous week may be optimistic. Funny as I was always under the impression minimal volume was important if aiming to get stronger consistently, but getting stronger, leaner with considerably more volume than before. You only learn by trying new things though, and perhaps once gains slow with this approach a new one will be needed. Always keeping it fresh; only constant being training as hard as you can on the day.

Felt drained towards the end of the session and the HIIT was a nasty grind, but finished now and getting ready for the Apprentice.

DLs

warmups

240kg x 7

210kg x 9

210kg x 6

Wide grip (little finger touching plates)

180kg x 5

Pullups hammer grip

Bodyweight +30kg x 8 and partial

Bodyweight +30kg x 7

Bodyweight +30kg x 5 and partial

Machine row

Stack x 16

Stack x 7

115kg to failure 3/4 reps avoiding lockout and constant tension

10minutes HIIT on cross-trainer

Subbed mate, nice deadlifting!! How do you feel wide grip benefits you? Was it just the one set?

Hits the upper back very effectively. Give them a go and see how you find them! Yes, one set, pumped up so struggle to do anymore after those. Had 160kg for 10 the week previous, so aiming for 10 at 180 was hopeful, but something to beat next week.

Hits the upper back very effectively. Give them a go and see how you find them! Yes, one set, pumped up so struggle to do anymore after those. Had 160kg for 10 the week previous, so aiming for 10 at 180 was hopeful, but something to beat next week.

I can see how that would work i'll try them next week after my normal deads! Looking forward to it.

Nothing like beating last weeks deadlifts!

Shoulders and triceps.

Clean and press

60kg x 6

90kg x 6, drop to 60kg x 10

60kg x 12

60kg x 10

60kg x 10

Seated viking front press

80kg x 10

80kg x 6

70kg x 8

Upright row

60kg x 12

80kg x 5 drop to 60kg x 5

60kg x 8

Dips

BW+ 60kg x 8

BW+60kg x 6

BW+40kg x 8

Pressdowns EZ bar attachment

Stack x 12

stack x 9

stack x 7

10minutes HIIT on cross trainer

Legs tomorrow so off to Phoenix gym in Swindon again. Some GHR and will also up volume a little on leg press. Squats are out for the moment but deadlifts in so still have a heavy compound.

12 weeks from Sunday to NABBA England so getting closer. Hunger whilst not driving me to torment is more noticeable now. Looking forward to a good week and seeing what changes can be made.

Will aim to shave fully at some stage and get some decent pictures up.

Outstanding legs mate good cuts so far out too and carry some proper mature thickness to your physique. Will be good to see how you come in from here.

Just lack abit in the chest on that side pose, but the hanging hamstrings make up for it and probably looks a lot better the leaner you are tbf.

Best of luck from here not that you'll need it mate.

Following :D

Outstanding legs mate good cuts so far out too and carry some proper mature thickness to your physique. Will be good to see how you come in from here.

Just lack abit in the chest on that side pose, but the hanging hamstrings make up for it and probably looks a lot better the leaner you are tbf.

Best of luck from here not that you'll need it mate.

Following :D

Thanks. Head down and have a cheat tonight first in a fair number if weeks which will be nice. Unsure what to have though!

Thanks. Head down and have a cheat tonight first in a fair number if weeks which will be nice. Unsure what to have though!

Haha mate got to be a pizza with BBQ sauce!! Nothing as filling/satisfying.

I've had one cheat in 16 weeks on prep looking forward to some food now :D

You going to Muscletalk tmro ?

Haha mate got to be a pizza with BBQ sauce!! Nothing as filling/satisfying.

I've had one cheat in 16 weeks on prep looking forward to some food now :D

You going to Muscletalk tmro ?

Not a huge fan of pizza never live up to the expectation!!!! I wae but CJ isnt going now due to car issue and not sure if fancy it alone! You pumped for it? :D

Back from legs and a good session. Have some industrial fans in there so was able to deal with the heat, but coming out and having PWO shake outside was dripping in sweat, utterly sodden. Had a can of sugar free Relentless as well but didn't seem to have an effect. Have a few coffees a day now so this would explain why.

Rab is happy with pictures, food is to remain the same, adding a fat burner which will give me some shakes no doubt. Also a cheat meal for tonight (main and dessert, not a binge), but undecided as to what to have so any suggestions will be useful. Pizza never really delivers from experience!

Steep leg press

100kg x 20

100kg x 20

200kg x 20

300kg x 20

400kg x 20

400kg x 20

440kg x 15

Staggered leg press- no rest between each leg

100kg x 12 each side

200kg x 20

240kg x 20

High rep leg press, pauses of 5 seconds and changing foot placement

280kg x 55

Leg extension- focus on form rather than weight as going too heavy aggravates knee

25kg x 15

30kg x 15

40kg x 12

Glute ham raise on lat pulldown

BW +5kg x 10

BW +5kg x 7

BW +5kg x 6

Lying ham curls

20kg x 12

20kg x 10

20kg x 10

Standing single leg curl

30kg x 12

30kg x 10

30kg x 10

Finished with the usual 10mins HIIT

Chris, how often do you cheat then mate ?

In the offseason was normally once a week or so but was overeating looking back so got a little out of shape!

Prevous prep did a refeed every Sunday. On this diet haven't really felt the need for a cheat, but imagine now getting into the grittier part will be more frequent.