UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gobby
10,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bored at work so feel the need to start a stupid thread :laugh:

So, do you remember the first gym you ever trained at? And how much have things changed?

I was 16 and a friend wanted to get fit for the Navy medical - she dragged me to the gym with her so she wasn't on her own. I loved it! Few things I remember;

It was up loads of stairs and smelled like a gym (you know what I mean!)

There was no ladies changing room so he had to clear a room for us :D

The only cardio equipment was a couple of those old bikes with the fan in the wheel

The owner and all his staff had competed at some point

I was put on a full body 3 sets of 15 workout - no girly exercises, he even made me do squats, lol - and the first time I could barely walk down the stairs! :lol: (I couldn't even lift my bag onto my shoulder)

They played rock music, that actually got you going - actually they played whatever you wanted.

The only magazines in the seating area were muscle mags

Although they sold protein shakes and all sorts of interesting things, the drink they sold most of was pints of milk - in bottles (silver top lol) :tongue:

I was quite impressed to see it's still open, but I bet it's all tarted up now with classes and stuff. I'm very tempted to go and pay a visit next time I'm in Notts...

Oh and I used to train for a quid cheaper cos I was under 18 :beer:

·
Routine is the enemy
2,044 Posts
whereabous was that in notts?

my first gym was the uni gym in nottingham. I remember being scared of te weights room downstairs and ****ing about on the machines for several months before i ventured down there.

·
Dieting :(
2,821 Posts
I went to a place called Phoenix in Manchester, owned by an ex City player who had an injury and had to stop playing. Was up some stairs on an industrial estate. Was only 15 at the time, so didn't have a clue, but loved it from the first visit.

Not much cardio equipment, and really old weights, but I liked that about the place. Much better than the posher gyms I have to train in these days!

·
Sans Peur
3,973 Posts
my first 'gym experience' was a local place where the majority of the equipment was a f**king huuuge multigym smack bang in the middle of the room..

dont recall a lot of cardio gear either lol.

the place i train at now is a proper 'old skool' gym and i love it - no faffy chrome or lycra in sight :D

·
Gobby
10,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gerg said:
whereabous was that in notts?

my first gym was the uni gym in nottingham. I remember being scared of te weights room downstairs and ****ing about on the machines for several months before i ventured down there.
Ilson.....I seem to recall that Shaun Davis trained there sometimes :D

·
if I can't be unfit in heaven.I'l definate
619 Posts
trained back in 1991 at the merc training gym,all the members were mostly doormen in and around telford,couple of ex nabba pro's trained there ronnie brown,real hardcore gym ,was brilliant,one of the biggest guys there lost 2 fingers from a dodgy dumbell and the blood squirted up the wall it stayed there for years,arnie sergio olivia all over the walls,ahhhh those were the days best gym ever.

·
Solid Gold
6,442 Posts
leasowe leisure centre on one of the hardest estates on merseyside........ proper good laugh it was in there, on mondays you used to get lads coming in with suitcases full of robbed gear(not drugs)trying to flog the stufff..................... ahhh the memories!!!!

·
Everybody wants to be GOOD, but not many are prepa
1,345 Posts
Inshape Health Club, Saltash, Cornwall...back in ooooh 1985; I had first come in touch with bodybuilding (couples) on late night TV I was about 14 and I thought WOW!! I want to look like that. It wasn't until a year later that I went to the local 'healthclub' and aksed if I could train in return for cleaning the club....the owners accepted and I went on to do a Health and Leisure studies course too based at that same club.

Lou

·
Vanity is a Sin
6,890 Posts
16 years ago, Atlanta Gym York, owned by Brian House (still is I think) an ex competator of many comps (great guy), some of you may know him, was a great gym, few competitors male & female, who's names I can't remember trained there and loads of taxi driver/doormen. Was best gym I've ever trained at (4 years) but he simply doesn't open long enough hours, miss it:sad:

If he opened earlier or later I'd go back in a shot.

·
8,379 Posts
First gym experience was the local leisure centre before it became all Health-Club-ificated. First proper gym experience was Body Limits in St Albans, a real hardcore gym. I loved it and hated having to leave when I moved.

·
bright red & sweaty, somewhere at prolife in paisl
358 Posts
goldenstones in yeovil.

used to have computerised machines which had no negative weight to them.

so once you set it up,say like the bench machine. you'd push the weight forward & it would stay there, then you'd have to pull it back towards you, like hammer row style :whistling: load of sh1te

·
Little Lion
12,516 Posts
good lord dredging the memories here......

i think the very first was some sh*thole in Niddrie (one of the roughest scummiest housing estates in Edinburgh). You had to get given a key to go into the free weights section, and I was the only girl in there lol.

Around the same time I was boxing at sparta boxing club in Leith and was one of only 2 girls but I never met the other as I was getting trained by 10x east of scotland champion eric brown and we went in and trained at times when it was quiet and there werent many folk there. It was another spit and sawdust affair lol.

Actually.... even before that when I was a very young student in agric. college I trained with the rugby team twice a week (we had a girls team but we never played a single match haha) and we had a gym of sorts but it hardly counts for all that it was lol.

·
EFBB Winner
3,996 Posts
the very first gym i actually trained in was feltham young offenders gym...and it got me hooked and started physically properly from then,although i used to read and collect bodybuilding mags etc from young...and train with my bro's york dumbells/barbell now n again...it was in fact the bleeding penal system that got me going properly to experience my very first real session...plenty more after too!!!!!

cheers maggie or was it john major back in 92!!!!

·
Little Lion
12,516 Posts
funny how so many of us started in the rougher/darker side of things hey?

many years down the line here we are, doing decently well, healthy and fit, working hard etc....

just goes to show you what sport/training can do for you when you could so easily have gone the other way....

·
Getting HUGE!
1,441 Posts
Being a newcomer I can't really comment, I did stick my head round a couple/few doors of "Proper" Gyms years ago, one in Battersea, one in Camden but I lacked the courage to actually go in....why gawd only knows. Guess I was a bit intimidated...bit out of my comfort zone..( I'm a bit posh apparantly...you can't help the way you speak) but nevertheless it held me back, funny what seems SO important back then to what matters now..I wish I had had the courage to go in I always get on with people but there you go I didn't. Most of the old school gyms seem to be gone..its all health clubs with s.w.a.n.k.y logos and even s.w.a.n.k.i.e.r machines...thankfully my gym has a lot of free weights as well as the machines (yes they are a bit s.w.a.n.k.y but very nice nonetheless). I would have preferred a Old style gym but there isn't one, they are it seems in very short supply.

BTW who remembers the Bullworker...my brother bought one to contend with his bich tits (MOOBS)...it always made me smile whenever I saw it...do they still make them?

Andrew

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.