UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
As you said same can be said about cars etc. But if you buy right (investment wise) that's where it becomes smart purchase and not a flash of wealth.

I'm not wealthy and I own a Rolex along with other luxury watches.

There are people out there that spend £10 a day on cigarettes that £3650 a year spent. You could buy a luxury sports Rolex with two years worth of cigarette cost and make a hefty return.

More you can go buy a brand new BMW drive out of the showroom and immediately lose 10% value

For me my purchase was investment only.. when my daughter is 18 it's hers to do what she pleases with it.
I think 18 is a risky and slightly foolish time to give it to a child. Hear me put I remember when I was 18 I was at a party with friends wiped out. Now I have two sons I will be giving them my watches at 21. I think those 3 years when they leave school and are working or in uni they mature a lot more than they would be at 18 and will realise the significance of being giving such a valued item by their father. At 18 I was an idiot, at 21 I was a solider with a much different outlook on the world

·
So it seems a Human had been rather injured by a k
9,454 Posts
As a £600 car will drive the same 32 mile to work as a Bugatti, just like a £2 engagement ring is a promise of marriage like the 2 million pound counter part
Actually the ring is a good example, it's money value is one of the main things about it. A woman would get very upset if they found out it was fake even if they could not tell the difference. The real more expensive ring doesn't do anything extra but it's financial value is the important thing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm the same. Refuse to pay way over retail. That said I'm waiting 20 months to get the call from my authorised dealer in Belfast for the no date sub at £5450 but nothing yet. I went to buy an older polar explorer II 16570 for £3800 18 months ago second hand. Same watch now is about £5500
Ya ... You won't loose money on it mate . It's virtually impossible to lose money on a second hand Rolex . If not nigh on impossible

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
I own about 7 watches.

4 of which were off of wish.com and cost me about £2 each but look decent with an outfit out and about. Barely holds the time though so definitely used as a decorative piece over actual function.

1 is a smart watch

The 2 others are Daniel wellington and Hugo boss for them special occasions (dinner, dates, events, etc) where cheap just doesn't cut it (£160 and £230 respectively) which seems cheap for watches these days but f**k paying anymore than that for something that literally just tells the time.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
My younger brother 35 years ago worked for Rolex in old Bexley, he was actually self taught and used to take wrist watches apart on the coffee table indoors with a penknife! He worked there for quite a while working on celebrity watches, think he told me Michael Aspels watch came in for a service and looked like it had been run over by a bulldozer. He used over £500 worth of parts to put it right again and when handing it back to the shopfloor foreman with a list of parts used he was told "don't worry about that, Aspell wears his watch on tv every night, we don't charge him".

Now staff discount at the time was I think 50% so staff regularly changed their watches, at the time and if I'd known I could have bought plenty with staff selling their old ones to finance new. My brother often offered me mates submariners for £250 which although cheap was a lot of money then, what put me off more than anything was I was supposed to get them serviced at regular intervals, I guess I got used to wearing a watch till it stopped working then chucking it and buying a new one.

My brother being as this was his profession had a bedroom full of watch paraphernalia [lived at home with my parents], watch making tools watch spare parts, odd rolex spares that were removed from clients watches and destined for the bin, even my cheap divers watch at the time had a Rolex button fitted. Hundreds of watches that had been bought in job lots from boot fairs and secondhand shops etc . It's what he did, make and repair watches and clocks, I have a brass skeleton clock bought in bits that he rebuilt, he always repaired family/friends clocks and watches free unless he had to buy parts.

My brother used drugs so knew others that way inclined, one of his so called mates got busted and cut a deal with the police, he told them all about this guy that had a bedroom full of stolen Rolex's, 2.00am [why always 2.00am?] the police smashed down mum and dads door [dad in his 70's], search the house top to bottom and confiscated all the watch stuff arresting my brother in the process, think they held him 48 hours or till Rolex examined all the watches and parts, Rolex informed police none of the items were theirs other than a couple of little bits that they agreed would have been thrown, my brother was released but Rolex didn't want to know him anymore.

Now I want a Rolex I can't get a cheap one!

You all know Tudor watches are Rolex don't you? Rolex didn't want to miss out on the cheaper watch market but obviously didn't want to do a "cheap Rolex" so invented the brand Tudor, at the time was the same watchmakers and same parts used just under a different label.

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
My younger brother 35 years ago worked for Rolex in old Bexley, he was actually self taught and used to take wrist watches apart on the coffee table indoors with a penknife! He worked there for quite a while working on celebrity watches, think he told me Michael Aspels watch came in for a service and looked like it had been run over by a bulldozer. He used over £500 worth of parts to put it right again and when handing it back to the shopfloor foreman with a list of parts used he was told "don't worry about that, Aspell wears his watch on tv every night, we don't charge him".

Now staff discount at the time was I think 50% so staff regularly changed their watches, at the time and if I'd known I could have bought plenty with staff selling their old ones to finance new. My brother often offered me mates submariners for £250 which although cheap was a lot of money then, what put me off more than anything was I was supposed to get them serviced at regular intervals, I guess I got used to wearing a watch till it stopped working then chucking it and buying a new one.

My brother being as this was his profession had a bedroom full of watch paraphernalia [lived at home with my parents], watch making tools watch spare parts, odd rolex spares that were removed from clients watches and destined for the bin, even my cheap divers watch at the time had a Rolex button fitted. Hundreds of watches that had been bought in job lots from boot fairs and secondhand shops etc . It's what he did, make and repair watches and clocks, I have a brass skeleton clock bought in bits that he rebuilt, he always repaired family/friends clocks and watches free unless he had to buy parts.

My brother used drugs so knew others that way inclined, one of his so called mates got busted and cut a deal with the police, he told them all about this guy that had a bedroom full of stolen Rolex's, 2.00am [why always 2.00am?] the police smashed down mum and dads door [dad in his 70's], search the house top to bottom and confiscated all the watch stuff arresting my brother in the process, think they held him 48 hours or till Rolex examined all the watches and parts, Rolex informed police none of the items were theirs other than a couple of little bits that they agreed would have been thrown, my brother was released but Rolex didn't want to know him anymore.

You all know Tudor watches are Rolex don't you? Rolex didn't want to miss out on the cheaper watch market but obviously didn't want to do a "cheap Rolex" so invented the brand Tudor, at the time was the same watchmakers and same parts used just under a different label.
5 years ago I loved Tudor and I've owned a Pelagos previously. I loved the initial launch of the black bay with the old rose logo before they replaced it with the shield logo and the last few years they have took the piss and went the way omega has went with loads of variants of the same watch just various colours and sizes ect cheapens the whole range in my onion and thus I've went of them unless your talking a 1970's snowflake submariner

·
Registered
4,669 Posts

if your brother was a watchmaker he would tell you that the only thing you can do to a watch with a penknife is pop the back off (this is only if the case is pop on and not screw down or a front loading watch) - you definitely wont be stripping down a watch with one.

*im not saying that your brother is not a watchmaker , i just think you got a bit excited about what you can do to a watch with a pocket knife :p

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
if your brother was a watchmaker he would tell you that the only thing you can do to a watch with a penknife is pop the back off (this is only if the case is pop on and not screw down or a front loading watch) - you definitely wont be stripping down a watch with one.

*im not saying that your brother is not a watchmaker , i just think you got a bit excited about what you can do to a watch with a pocket knife :p
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts

The majority of that story is fictional I'm sorry. I know you should never let a good lie get in the way of a good story but that while police thing, '48 hours' rolex inspecting parts ect is 100% bollox

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
The majority of that story is fictional I'm sorry. I know you should never let a good lie get in the way of a good story but that while police thing, '48 hours' rolex inspecting parts ect is 100% bollox
Sorry guys, I thought it might have been interesting, should have known better really.

As said it was 35 years ago, perhaps I just imagined it :confused1:

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
Sorry guys, I thought it might have been interesting, should have known better really.

As said it was 35 years ago, perhaps I just imagined it :confused1:
Yea they don't have powers to question for 48 hours based on your story nor would they be able to get the paperwork and requests in to be authorised for exhibits to be examined

anyway cool story

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I must be getting old , I thought the story was real ... i enjoyed it anyway ;)

It was the Michael Aspels bit which did it for me famous but not too famous, see I would have said Michael Caine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I know that many watches are worth a lot of money these days. If I had known about it in my period, I also stocked up on eyes and sold them now for a pretty penny. But I like to wear antiques in my hands. I do not respect the new ones for some reason. Recently, grudgingly I had to give back, grandfather's commander's watch, which I had to wind up every morning, with a brown leather strap and gold inlay, very simple and looked stylish. It was both a memory and an antique and just love. But I found myself a 레플리카시계 cheaper and which winds itself watches and well assembled in quality.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, I know that many watches are worth a lot of money these days. If I had known about it in my period, I also stocked up on eyes and sold them now for a pretty penny. But I like to wear antiques in my hands. I do not respect the new ones for some reason.
Yes I like to wear moist panties on my head whilst doing cart wheels and singing Kumbaya. If I had known I would have stapled some watches to my bellend, but I like to wear watches round my neck. I do not respect twats that talk gash in forums. Interested to hear your thoughts.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts