UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
whatever you think of rolex watches (im no fan , they are just mass produced mid tier imo) , one thing for sure is their marketing dept is one of the best in the world the way they control the sales and prices.
Same don't see the appeal of them at all, would much rather have a grand seiko snowflake or the new blue dialled one they released not long ago.

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
Same don't see the appeal of them at all, would much rather have a grand seiko snowflake or the new blue dialled one they released not long ago.
The GS snowflake I mean the old version the SBGA011 is a fantastic watch. I bought one in 2013 from a fella in Israel for £2800. Accuracy, finish and dial was amazing and super lightweight. Wish I didn't sell it. Same as my SBDX001 marinemaster. Both fantastic Seiko watches. I now hate the new prospex X on the new dive watches and I dislike the new GS logo

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
The GS snowflake I mean the old version the SBGA011 is a fantastic watch. I bought one in 2013 from a fella in Israel for £2800. Accuracy, finish and dial was amazing and super lightweight. Wish I didn't sell it. Same as my SBDX001 marinemaster. Both fantastic Seiko watches. I now hate the new prospex X on the new dive watches and I dislike the new GS logo
One day I will have one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
OMG .. NICE ONE !

I've had my eye on the GS range for a few years now there a very understated watch ( which I like ) I don't do bling .. as you say the quality, fit & finish is spot on .... my only concern is the price is ticking up and I know if I don't purchase one soon they will be in the land of silly prices .

Have you seen the new limited edition SBGH269 .. the dial is breathtaking

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
OMG .. NICE ONE !

I've had my eye on the GS range for a few years now there a very understated watch ( which I like ) I don't do bling .. as you say the quality, fit & finish is spot on .... my only concern is the price is ticking up and I know if I don't purchase one soon they will be in the land of silly prices .

Quick look on watch recon and with exchange they are around £3200-3500 for the SBGA11 though they don't pop up often and when they do they are all state side. I got mine from Israel and it's because I'm active on watch forums and have rapport with people

·
Newbie Trainer
1,779 Posts
I was on watchfinder just and the markup on flipped Rolex is mad there's a black dial S/S Daytona for £21,000 there £9995 New on the Rolex site

Oris is a good make of watch . Very underrated. Another brand I had a soft spot for a few years ago and was relatively cheap was JLC but sadly there's taking the piss now .
Rolex are very clever in their marketing and rarity, and it really pisses me off, but it works. I nearly laid down 15k for a Daytona about 6 months ago, and now I see 15k wouldnt even get one, its infuriating but then again, demand drives price.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
OMG .. NICE ONE !

Is that the blue dial one?

·
Gym Addict
550 Posts
Rolex are very clever in their marketing and rarity, and it really pisses me off, but it works. I nearly laid down 15k for a Daytona about 6 months ago, and now I see 15k wouldnt even get one, its infuriating but then again, demand drives price.
15k on a watch... i know its all relative and that but seriously

·
Newbie Trainer
1,779 Posts
15k on a watch... i know its all relative and that but seriously
I get you, and I used to think the same for a watch, I guess it's like anything though once you gain an interest you adjust your perception of value.

That said, I despised the thought of paying over retail, so didn't do it, but you could say if I bought it at 15k I could have sold it at 20, so its a pretty decent form of investment.

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
I get you, and I used to think the same for a watch, I guess it's like anything though once you gain an interest you adjust your perception of value.

That said, I despised the thought of paying over retail, so didn't do it, but you could say if I bought it at 15k I could have sold it at 20, so its a pretty decent form of investment.
I'm the same. Refuse to pay way over retail. That said I'm waiting 20 months to get the call from my authorised dealer in Belfast for the no date sub at £5450 but nothing yet. I went to buy an older polar explorer II 16570 for £3800 18 months ago second hand. Same watch now is about £5500

·
Newbie Trainer
1,779 Posts
I'm the same. Refuse to pay way over retail. That said I'm waiting 20 months to get the call from my authorised dealer in Belfast for the no date sub at £5450 but nothing yet. I went to buy an older polar explorer II 16570 for £3800 18 months ago second hand. Same watch now is about £5500
I wouldn't be surprised if the waiting list is fictional. I was on the list with my AD for the Daytona, and I back-handed them the offer of £15k and they took it without hestitation - imagine how many other people are willing to do that, unless you're a very good customer I think their "list" is just a pointless excel file!

I honestly think quite a big part of it is a display of wealth. A watch costing £10 will tell you what time it is.
You could say that about a thousand different day to day items.

·
n/a
5,686 Posts
I honestly think quite a big part of it is a display of wealth. A watch costing £10 will tell you what time it is.
As you said same can be said about cars etc. But if you buy right (investment wise) that's where it becomes smart purchase and not a flash of wealth.

I'm not wealthy and I own a Rolex along with other luxury watches.

There are people out there that spend £10 a day on cigarettes that £3650 a year spent. You could buy a luxury sports Rolex with two years worth of cigarette cost and make a hefty return.

More you can go buy a brand new BMW drive out of the showroom and immediately lose 10% value

For me my purchase was investment only.. when my daughter is 18 it's hers to do what she pleases with it.

·
So it seems a Human had been rather injured by a k
9,454 Posts
As you said same can be said about cars etc. But if you buy right (investment wise) that's where it becomes smart purchase and not a flash of wealth.

I'm not wealthy and I own a Rolex along with other luxury watches.

There are people out there that spend £10 a day on cigarettes that £3650 a year spent. You could buy a luxury sports Rolex with two years worth of cigarette cost and make a hefty return.

More you can go buy a brand new BMW drive out of the showroom and immediately lose 10% value

For me my purchase was investment only.. when my daughter is 18 it's hers to do what she pleases with it.
I can see it's a good investment but if I did that I think I'd lock it away. I'm quite happy to wear a cheap watch.

·
n/a
5,686 Posts
I can see it's a good investment but if I did that I think I'd lock it away. I'm quite happy to wear a cheap watch.
That's why I have worn mine only on special occasions - it's a box queen. I have a few Breitling I usually wear or an Ebel which is a low end luxury watch I usually wear.

I'm on the waiting list for a Rolex hulk. They retail at 6.9k but are fetching 13-14k grey market. Again this is for investment purposes only.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts