UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Getting HUGE!
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right..ive heard so many timesa that people do situps to lose weight off the stomach...

"im fat lets do 1,000 situps" etc

as far as i reckon this is ab unch of complete a.r.s.e...

males lose fat more off the stomach region, but htey also lose it all over so you wont be concentrating the fat loss on the stomach..females tend to lose it off the hips/ass first (am i wrong?)

so - working out an area of the bodsy to lose weight off it specifically makes no sense to me...

fair enough, increase the muscles under the fat so it looks slimmer, but it wont be actually slimmer in that specific area....

am i wrong? right?

anymore workout myths>

·
Gobby
10,535 Posts
I was always told you couldn't spot reduce, but it seems the jury is still out on that....

Genetics determine where the fat is lost first - for me it does start to come off my stomach quite early :)

You can do thousands of sit ups but if your bodyfat is too high, the abs will never show......

·
bashing the bishop
1,818 Posts
Kezz said:
but i would have thought doing more reps would burn more calories though so it is partially true!!
maybe. but when dieting and doing high reps you can go catabolic.

the body keeps hold of muscle out of necessity (i.e it knows you need to lift big)

it gets rid of the unnecessary (i.e your brain thinking why the feck do i need muscle for 20 reps of light weight)

just my theory

that and lifting heavy is good for nueral adaption

·
Road to Juniors 2011??!!
693 Posts
Sylar said:
Doing crunches strengthens the abdominal muscles, it will not help to get rid of a belly. You achieve that via cardio and diet.
This is completely true. Sure you can do plenty of crunches/ab work but it will only give you stronger abs, which you won't be able to notice. However including cardio & having a certain diet you can lose the fat around your belly & then you can see the abs.

·
Getting HUGE!
2,072 Posts
Higher reps wont burn more kcals. The weight is lighter=less energy used per contraction.

Anyway, spot reduction of fat is a myth. The way you lose fat and the way you gain it is mainly hormone dependent. But this pattern is set during childhood and teenage years. As a boy/teen you might have stored a lot of oestrogenic fat and this tendency will probably follow you into adulthood. Of course a lot of AAS will cause the usual aromatisation problems and increase anyones oestrogenic fat depot.

Alternatively, and more likely if you were active/sporty as a child, you may have produced only moderate oestrogen amounts (big fluctuations are seen in teen males). Due to this, you probably store fat in a more widespread way, less centred and with more covering the extremities.

So, your fat storing tendancies are established from youth but can be altered by various factors as you age.

So that one was a myth.

Next.....

·
EFBB Winner
3,996 Posts
spot reduction is a big debate...it is possible to spot increase...but as for spot reduction...its down to diet and cardio...an overall reduction....then you can concentrate further to this area while overall reduction takes place to enhance that particular bodypart!!!!

dont get me wrong,any exercise is good...and can have an effect to a degree...and even anaerobic activity includes some aerobic respiration...so high reps does exert a very small amount of both,but nothing near cardio to rid the body of fat stores(adipose tissue)...looking to tap into fat storage through beta-oxidation(pathway for fat burning after 20mins + cardio) and lipolysis(breakdown of fat cells)!!!!

but to reduce fat in a certain area....liposuction....or as i say diet and cardio....then jab a harpoon full of GH and winnie and take some anavar...with tren!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.