UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gym Addict
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought i would pop this to you guys as i value the experiance around here.

So i work in the NHS as an Medical Engineer, bascily i fix/service medical equipment ie defibs,ecg recorders.

Ive worked here for eight years now and still at college one day a week and have to get up to degree level. First problem i have the engineering i do at college is crazy hard with all the maths.. We cover nothing i do at work because i work on medical stuff. So puts alot of pressure to try understand any of it.

Second part of my problem is that there is me,another two engineers and the boss. The two other guys havnt spoke to each other in ten years and hate each other, i was dragged into this and because of one getting up in my face i have a grivence in against him.. ( too long to mention what complments they put against each other ).

So anyway.. the two i get on with i both get on with but they have the tendency to belittle me as they both think they know every thing so with one person ignoring me and two others being a pain sometimes everything gets a bit too much!

Hard to explain everything as so much has happend, Im 25 now and just wish i was doing something i had more interest in like working with Computers ( web design or alike ) . Ive lost all intersest in what i do with all the crap going on so doesnt make college any easier to concentrate.

So rant over.. what would you do? Stick it out and let them pay for more college courses or take the hump and leave? Just the morgage i have to think about as i moved into my own place 2 months ago and live alone atm.. ( darn being single )

Sorry it probably doesnt all make sense but thanks for taking the time to read it

Adam

·
EFBB Winner
3,996 Posts
sounds like a very akward environment to work in,with all the bad vibes and getting looked down upon...also tough is the educational aspect...but you gotta tough it out cos you got a mortgage...if your really unhappy...try and secure something in i.t. before your ready to go,or something else so you know you can step away with something to go into!!!

guess you got experience on your side,which is so valuable as much as qualifications these days!!!

i'm finding it hard as hell to find a job mate and i got a smelly degree,with 5 agencies,applied for 59 jobs in the last 3 1/2 moon...been to 3 major hospitals,even applied for voluntary work,under staffed for that too...and all want at least 2 years experience...so i dont know if a bloody degree would help....maybe in your field as you have experience...but being unhappy in a work environment can be total head mash!!!!

but you need the income,getting things paid for etc

·
Pest!
2,417 Posts
I'd quit that job if you hate it that much however i'd make sure i have something secured before doing anything. How long do you have left at college till your qual'd up? Theres lots out there mate, your still only young so unless you can imagine yourself still doing this job in 5 years time when your 30 i'd look elsewhere.

·
Gym Addict
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies :)

Indeed it is a akward enviroment and really wouldnt have enough time to type everything that has happend here but ive just tried to stay in the middle and get on with it.

Yep i do have exp with 8 years under my belt and a few qulifications but nothing like you have (degree).

What are you looking at doing ?

Im going to take a look at IT courses and maybe have a long long think what's best.. i know i hate coming to work at the moment.. But like slamdog said, not the best time to be out of the job with whats going on at the present time.

Question is.. Whats more imporant..Having no intererst in your job but you have a job for life and decent money? Or take a risk at a unknown salary but you could end up A, enjoying it more and B, have a good pay..

Questions Questions................................Questions ???

·
Gym Addict
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YoungGun said:
I'd quit that job if you hate it that much however i'd make sure i have something secured before doing anything. How long do you have left at college till your qual'd up? Theres lots out there mate, your still only young so unless you can imagine yourself still doing this job in 5 years time when your 30 i'd look elsewhere.
Well the goverment changed what my job requires so at the moment i have a BTEC in Engineering and currently doing my last year in Electronics Engineering. I could stay on that level but its preferd to have a degree in any engineering level. Just finding it so hard with college as it is without the crap at work!

So i do have Qulifications,but im not sure id do Engineering if i wasnt working in a hosptial.

·
aka Marc
2,158 Posts
Live is for living you've got to be happy in your work becasue its a big part of your day to day activities, but the last thing you want is being jobless with a mortgage to pay, stick it out whilst looking for for other things, you day will go much quicker and you'll be happier at least if you know your looking to change career

·
Live in the Now
3,130 Posts
i suggest writing down what you currently do at the top of the page and what you want to do at the bottom of the page--- now fill in the middle step by step with how to get there stick rough dates/time line along each one--- its surprising how much clearer things are when you have a progressive path to what you want in front of your eyes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.