UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
There are only two in my area out of thirteen. Another to open soon and that is not a commercial one either. It is a PT opening this one, made his money at other gyms and now he'll have his own.

The two commercial gyms are popular, due to a company in the town paying half the membership for certain employees at one and not heard of any complaints about either.

·
One set, one chance!
4,563 Posts
Before the pandemic I trained in 3 gyms depending on where or what time I was working, or whether I was at my girlfriends the night before etc.

All 3 in the same chain (pure) which were quite close to each other. I train around 7:30am > 9am. 2 of the gyms were fine, everything you’d want in a gym membership. Only around 40-50 people or so, less if there wasn’t a class on. Same usual crowd etc and people tidied away after each other - it was and still is great as I was in one on Saturday as it happens.

However, the other gym (pure gym Aintree) at the same time was ****ing horrific. Weights everywhere. Nuggets thinking they’re massive throwing weights around. Shouting, screaming and groaning. Even the PTs don’t tidy up after themselves.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went to The Gym before the lockdown because it was closest, I can honestly say it was a shithole but tbf I got so see some f*#ked up training methods being practiced there as the majority of people training there had next to no idea what they were doing. The shadow boxers where always my personal favourite.

But in their defence if you went for the PT sessions they looked ok and it was mainly tailored for overweight middle-aged people that wouldn't know what a macro was.

I'd say this is the same for most commercial gyms plus in my experience the machines are super cheap and nasty too

·
The future depends on what you do today
14,632 Posts
I use total fitness and it's a nice gym. Loads of equipment and always tidy.
It's a bit more expensive than most, so probably keeps the scruffs out.

I get corporate membership, so it's actually cheaper than some other gyms for me

·
Newbie Trainer
2,275 Posts
Everyone?

You really need to stop talking in absolutes.

Reactions: vlb

·
One set, one chance!
4,563 Posts
Remember The Warrior from Gladiators?! He had a gym near me that I used to train in. It was a great gym, proper spit and saw dust but it was high energy. Seen quite a few fights in there and some dodgy things go down. But even in there people were tidy.

I seen someone get a crack once and turfed out for leaving a bar and plates out after deadlifts. Got told to never come back. It was very hostile if you were new to them/ the gym. They’d stair at you etc.

Once one guy was staring whilst I was doing a back exercise (on a Hammer Strength machine). I started one of my sets and he took a 10kg weight off one side, whilst I was using it, mid set. I thought shit, what do you do?! So I waited for what seemed ages and went and took the weight back. He just nodded at me! So strange. Sounds corny but it was like I was accepted after that.

Was a great gym, closed down now.

·
Maximus Covidius
916 Posts
Whats the reasoning?
This is a retarded question. It's like asking "do you hate commercial grocery stores?". All gyms are commercial, unless you count your neighbor's garage as a gym. You pay money to go to your gym? It's a commercial gym, simple as that.

·
Registered
212 Posts
However, the other gym (pure gym Aintree) at the same time was ****ing horrific. Weights everywhere. Nuggets thinking they’re massive throwing weights around. Shouting, screaming and groaning. Even the PTs don’t tidy up after themselves.
That third gym at Aintree would really p*ss me off! I'm guessing you have forgot about the blaring music too.... 😋 The gym I'm a member of isn't like this and it's good to see even young people put the weights back on the racks. It is always tidy too. Glad I joined it and owned by a bodybuilder I have known for decades.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Once one guy was staring whilst I was doing a back exercise (on a Hammer Strength machine). I started one of my sets and he took a 10kg weight off one side, whilst I was using it, mid set. I thought shit, what do you do?! So I waited for what seemed ages and went and took the weight back. He just nodded at me! So strange. Sounds corny but it was like I was accepted after that.
The original gym I went to for 18 years on and off had a clique. They were OK, may stare at you, but you could nod and not get a response. After I said I was doing the local comp and did it - I was accepted by them then, unbelievable, as though we'd been friends for years. Never will forget it! 😂

·
Premium Member
2,667 Posts
The original gym I went to for 18 years on and off had a clique. They were OK, may stare at you, but you could nod and not get a response. After I said I was doing the local comp and did it - I was accepted by them then, unbelievable, as though we'd been friends for years. Never will forget it. 😂 Think what did it, I just said I'm doing the comp months prior and they were shocked at that because they would not apply until the saw the entry list and who was in it....
Pics from comp?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Pics from comp?
The comp was quite a while ago and even though digital cameras were out I think, the pictures I have are from film and taken from a distance. Some are OK but the person taking them did not take all when I was in the pose with muscles flexed. I'll try to sort something out, but the tablet I use will not upload photos as it says not enough memory to complete. I don't have an issue showing them as long as viewers know I'm a natty.

·
Gym Addict
2,940 Posts
Whats the reasoning?
Well for starters half of the likes of the so called experts who regurgitate what they have read on here thinking they know it all and stupid posts that people put up on here go to thoughs types of gyms so I do not go unless I feel like looking at women doing slutty squats. I hate thoughs pt blokes walking around puffing their chests out giving scientific diets and complicated workouts who think they are god. I prefer old equipment that have proper functionality that hits the correct muscle group that doesn’t break after 2 years of use.

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
Gym I go to was up for an award for “best boutique gym”… think that says it all.
yes it’s shit but it’s 2 mins walk away so I just bare with it. Music is crap. Machines are crap. It’s small. Not enough plates, benches or dumbbells and a lot of the people that go are just ****ing bizarre.

·
Gym Addict
2,940 Posts
The gym I go to the majority of machines are old school nautilus and being the main reason for going, can't beat the pullover machine imo
Panata are great too. The little snow flakes don’t like these types because they don’t shine. But yeah you must got to a great gym 💪

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
i've always liked being a member of 2 gyms, 1 commercial and 1 oldschool bbing. if you always train at similar times, seeing exactly the same people every session just annoys me somewhat and some days you just want abit of fluorescent camel-toe wandering around.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts