UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been going to the gym for a long time and although I am happy with my body, I would like to start working out and eating to really hone and develop things... mainly my bum! I have had trainers and I can generally have a good well rounded workout, but I'm not making gains where I would like.

Can anyone suggest any books or materials I can read to help me start making an impact. I'm not looking to bodybuild, just remain lean but build myself a bum. I'm not even sure if that statement is redundant!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Katt x

·
Need ££ for AAS, please donate.....
12,434 Posts
As numb nuts stated above squats are your answer. Run a simple beginner program such as greyskull LP for six months and learn the basics, progress from there. Get microplates and add 1kg instead of the 2.5kg that's recommended to each lift when you make a jump in weight (I assume you are female). Eat lots of protein and keep kcals around 200 above maintenance.

·
ô¿ô
16,673 Posts
As far as training goes I'd start with a YouTube search for something like 'glute training for women' - it's not just about squats... (I wouldn't generally disagree with Quackerz but in this case I really don't think the programme he suggested would suit you at all.)

On the diet front the main thing to realise is that total calories are vastly more important than what you eat from the point of view of fat gain or loss. Eat fewer calories than you'll use and you'll lose fat; eat more calories than you use and you'll gain fat. Don't get sucked in by websites suggesting particular foods are going to magically transform your physique.

If you want to take things a bit more seriously I'd suggest using the Myfitnesspal app to track your calorie intake. Just don't take any suggestions it makes as hard facts, and eat more or less depending on fat gain or loss as required.

·
12,434 Posts
As far as training goes I'd start with a YouTube search for something like 'glute training for women' - it's not just about squats... (I wouldn't generally disagree with Quackerz but in this case I really don't think the programme he suggested would suit you at all.)

On the diet front the main thing to realise is that total calories are vastly more important than what you eat from the point of view of fat gain or loss. Eat fewer calories than you'll use and you'll lose fat; eat more calories than you use and you'll gain fat. Don't get sucked in by websites suggesting particular foods are going to magically transform your physique.

If you want to take things a bit more seriously I'd suggest using the Myfitnesspal app to track your calorie intake. Just don't take any suggestions it makes as hard facts, and eat more or less depending on fat gain or loss as required.
Look at any powerlifter or Olympic weightlifter. Probably the most well developed glutes you'll find in any discipline. Heavy squats and pulls for the most part. Just throwing it out there.

·
Gym Addict
5,050 Posts
Look at any powerlifter or Olympic weightlifter. Probably the most well developed glutes you'll find in any discipline. Heavy squats and pulls for the most part. Just throwing it out there.
Yeah but how many woman want to look like that lol.

But yeah I take your point.

@Katt as you know most guys want big and muscular, woman want lean and toned and not look like they lift weights.

I well rounded technique would be useful and really you should you tube a lot of woman's legs bums and tums routine. You would never catch a guy doing those but they do work! My gf really toned up in months. She was in no way wanted muscular definition just good shape and curves.

There good thing is that they can be done at home too.

What you need to understand too is that you don't need to do what a guy does and blast out reps to failure or exhaust the muscle right down. High frequency higher reps and lower weights will be the way to go.

Finally remember bf will be a very important factor. Lower bf and you will see curves. A narrow waist will make hips look much more appealing.

·
12,434 Posts
Yeah but how many woman want to look like that lol.

But yeah I take your point.

@Katt as you know most guys want big and muscular, woman want lean and toned and not look like they lift weights.

I well rounded technique would be useful and really you should you tube a lot of woman's legs bums and tums routine. You would never catch a guy doing those but they do work! My gf really toned up in months. She was in no way wanted muscular definition just good shape and curves.

There good thing is that they can be done at home too.

What you need to understand too is that you don't need to do what a guy does and blast out reps to failure or exhaust the muscle right down. High frequency higher reps and lower weights will be the way to go.

Finally remember bf will be a very important factor. Lower bf and you will see curves. A narrow waist will make hips look much more appealing.
Most female PL's and weightlifters I see are fit. Definitely not 'bulky'. Athletic would be the word. It's impossible for women to get too big really due to limitations on their genetics. Unless they use steroids of course.

·
Gym Addict
5,050 Posts
Most female PL's and weightlifters I see are fit. Definitely not 'bulky'. Athletic would be the word. It's impossible for women to get too big really due to limitations on their genetics. Unless they use steroids of course.
depends on what look they are after I guess. Quite individual really

but one thing I do notice that many many woman have a fear that if they lift weights the will become too muscular. If it were only that easy, a guys life would be much easier :lol:

·
ô¿ô
16,673 Posts
Women generally have zero interest in pec development and therefore bench pressing. I also really don't think a 5 rep set focused routine is appropriate, for both injury risk or results. Women can generally benefit from more volume than men.

I know relatively little about good training for women but know enough to realise it should be different. I would be extremely surprised if any of the people here who coach women would suggest a routine like greyskull, or indeed that any of the female competitors here use something similar. (I'd tag some relevant people if I wasn't on my phone.)

Finally, just because squats can develop glutes doesn't make them the only/best way to do this. The OP certainly doesn't have to worry about this but for anyone interested Bret Contreras is pretty much THE expert in this area.

·
12,434 Posts
Women generally have zero interest in pec development and therefore bench pressing. I also really don't think a 5 rep set focused routine is appropriate, for both injury risk or results. Women can generally benefit from more volume than men.

I know relatively little about good training for women but know enough to realise it should be different. I would be extremely surprised if any of the people here who coach women would suggest a routine like greyskull, or indeed that any of the female competitors here use something similar. (I'd tag some relevant people of I wasn't on my phone.)

Finally, just because squats can develop glutes doesn't make them the only/best way to do this. The OP certainly doesn't have to worry about this but for anyone interested Bret Contreras is pretty much THE expert in this area.
Women will never be able to develop noticeable pec development without PED's IMHO. It's just good to Bench and press for balance. Greyskulls is not really a standard 5 rep set approach also and you are encouraged to avoid ever hitting failure, the only injury risks attatched depend on the intelligence level of the person under the barbell.

Women need more volume, you are probably right there. It's easy enough to add a few sets. I would say a standard approach with progressive overload would be just as optimal for women as for men though, as stated female PL's will train almost identically to men and a lot of these women's physiques are top notch with little if any fluff work.

Would say squats are the most efficient. There may be other exercises with higher rates of muscle activation when tested with EMG (where Bret pulls ALL his theory) but when you look at it biomechanically you are getting a much fuller ROM with squats, higher TUT and they are also the most advantageous from a loading perspective. I am aware the glutes are a predominantly slow twitch muscle group, these fibres will be greatly stimulated on the eccentric portion of the lift though, there's always room for fluff work after. Everyone has their own opinions though I guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts