UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Joined
·
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys

been putting on to much weight recently and ts time to cut.

been doing some more research into what diet i should do, and to be honest im confused now????

theres to many diets out there, keto, detox, atkins, carb free, timed carbs ect ect the list goes on

in your personal experience what is the best cutting diet?

im tempted with the keto diet as iv read lots of good things, but to be honest im a little confused with it?

any one got any pointers they can give me :thumb:
 

·
Looking Freaky
Joined
·
921 Posts
IMO its all individual, some cut better on low/no carbs others do fine with them!

As long as you have a calorie deficiet you will loose weight, keep protein high and training intence to ensure its not muscle your loosing

Low carb diets will make you loose the most WEIGHT initially as its mostly water etc, however IME and studies I have read have shown no/little differnce in FAT loss over a sustained dieting period in both low/high carb diets.

So I would say it all comes down to calories, I would start with a smallish deficiet (so you can easily reduce calories further when fat loss stalls) then as fat loss slows slowly reduce further/add cardio

check out http://www.bodyrecomposition.com which is Lyle Mcdonalds website, hes got excellent articles on all aspects of training and diet, including fat loss
 
G

·
kaos_nw said:
Low carb diets will make you loose the most WEIGHT initially as its mostly water etc, however IME and studies I have read have shown no/little differnce in FAT loss over a sustained dieting period in both low/high carb diets.
You got links to any studies?
 

·
Gym Addict
Joined
·
476 Posts
oliver Roberts said:
ok guys

been putting on to much weight recently and ts time to cut.

been doing some more research into what diet i should do, and to be honest im confused now????

theres to many diets out there, keto, detox, atkins, carb free, timed carbs ect ect the list goes on

in your personal experience what is the best cutting diet?

im tempted with the keto diet as iv read lots of good things, but to be honest im a little confused with it?

any one got any pointers they can give me :thumb:
The easiest diet of all, and the one that all these are based on, is getting into a calorie deficit, it doesn't get musch simpler than that. All the above imo are advanced techniques to get body fat levels into singke digits; they will work for getting someone from 20%+ down but maybe just a bit extreme.

Work out your maintenance cals, deduct 500 and work from there, once BF levels drop and weight becomes harder to shift then try ketos, cab cycling etc.

Good luck dude :thumb:
 
Joined
·
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rankinc said:
The easiest diet of all, and the one that all these are based on, is getting into a calorie deficit, it doesn't get musch simpler than that. All the above imo are advanced techniques to get body fat levels into singke digits; they will work for getting someone from 20%+ down but maybe just a bit extreme.

Work out your maintenance cals, deduct 500 and work from there, once BF levels drop and weight becomes harder to shift then try ketos, cab cycling etc.

Good luck dude :thumb:
sweet advise pal.

better go and write down all my intake of cals and start dropping cals off

cheers

reps
 

·
Gym Addict
Joined
·
180 Posts
Presence of carbs in diet = insulin

Insulin = reduced fat burning & increased fat storage

Presence of fats in diet = reduced fat storage & increased fat burning

For sedentary people I see close to zero reason why they should have anything more than a few % of cals from carbs, as they do not need them other than for micronutrients - which are easily found in none-starchy veg.

For trained individuals the requirements change, as stored glycogen is used during training.

Net recommendation - eat carbs around training, and not so much elsewhere. Alternatively just have them at weekends, on the provision you can train effectively without them during the week. I typically do the latter.
 

·
Getting HUGE!
Joined
·
2,554 Posts
Tony Barnes said:
Presence of carbs in diet = insulin

Insulin = reduced fat burning & increased fat storage

Presence of fats in diet = reduced fat storage & increased fat burning

For sedentary people I see close to zero reason why they should have anything more than a few % of cals from carbs, as they do not need them other than for micronutrients - which are easily found in none-starchy veg.

For trained individuals the requirements change, as stored glycogen is used during training.

Net recommendation - eat carbs around training, and not so much elsewhere. Alternatively just have them at weekends, on the provision you can train effectively without them during the week. I typically do the latter.
You've obviously never met a "normal" sedentary person. If if was that easy then no-one would be fat.

Oliver - you probably just need to cut back a little and probably train a bit harder. Don't get into the vicious circle of cutting and bulking until your big enough to need it. Just train properly and eat well.
 
Joined
·
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
martin brown said:
You've obviously never met a "normal" sedentary person. If if was that easy then no-one would be fat.

Oliver - you probably just need to cut back a little and probably train a bit harder. Don't get into the vicious circle of cutting and bulking until your big enough to need it. Just train properly and eat well.
cheers pal, wise words.

used to do cut and bulk.

but now just looking to lose some excess fat and maintain it. im happy with my size just want to cut up a bit and maintain best as possible. training is currently ok, just need to increase cardio to be fair
 

·
EFBB Winner
Joined
·
4,620 Posts
Oli in my personal experience I always need to keep carbs fairly low. I've dieted with keto before and the fat loss is very fast but muscle loss is almost inevitable. Plus I felt like death all the time and never reached that sweet spot.

I don't think keto's necessary for most. imo just take in carbs when you need them and have protein and fat the rest of the time. I'd suggest carb cycling, so have a serving of oats at brekkie and then no more carbs til PWO. If you don't train that day then just carbs at brekkie. I've always found that's the best way.
 
Joined
·
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AlasTTTair said:
Oli in my personal experience I always need to keep carbs fairly low. I've dieted with keto before and the fat loss is very fast but muscle loss is almost inevitable. Plus I felt like death all the time and never reached that sweet spot.

I don't think keto's necessary for most. imo just take in carbs when you need them and have protein and fat the rest of the time. I'd suggest carb cycling, so have a serving of oats at brekkie and then no more carbs til PWO. If you don't train that day then just carbs at brekkie. I've always found that's the best way.
thanks ali

i have been looking into some think similer to this. sounds the way to go really
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,733 Posts
Without getting too fussy about the science, insulin stimulated from carbs does limit fat burning but it doesn't stop the process... the main limiting effect it has on fat burning process is post prandially/just after you eat... at which time you won't be losing much weight anyway because your body is being flooded with calories from the meal you've just eaten... the supressive effects of insulin on fat burning only happen significantly at times when your body is unlikely to be able to burn a net amount of fat anyway!

That's not to say lowering carbs might not help in some people... many folk, especially those who have allowed their bodyfat percentage to get quite high have a degree of insulin resistance, even if its not medically problematic, and so kick out a disproportionate amount of insulin in response to a carby meal... and this group of people might benefit from lowering carb intake. Also, eating/snacking on carbs constantly throughout the day may not be sensible as it could leave you with raised insulin levels above baseline for a longer than ok length of time.

The other reason to maybe lower carbs is that when the body doesn't get enough energy from glucose it has to make it from protein, and that is a very energy expensive process... if I remember right it costs six extra ATP molecules to convert one protein molecule to stored ATP energy as it does one glucose molecule. That's enough to potentially make a difference of up to a few hundred kcals a day on a very low carb/high protein diet and is where the metabolic advantage often talked about seems to lie.

The idea that high fat diets themselves encourage the body to be more fat burning isn't actually demonstrated... sure on a very low carb/high fat diet your body upregulates enzymes required to burn fat but the extra fat you are burning comes from the extra fat you are eating, not stored fat! To burn this stored fat there's still only one way...A CALORIE DEFICIT!

With all that in mind, remember whatever diet you choose, calorie restriction is the most important thing... and also that low carb diets without any carb intake will be more catabolic to muscle and also reduce exercise performance. If you are gonna go low carb do a CKD or TKD diet... flat out keto is pretty [email protected] for someone who works out IMO.
 
Joined
·
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dtlv74 said:
Without getting too fussy about the science, insulin stimulated from carbs does limit fat burning but it doesn't stop the process... the main limiting effect it has on fat burning process is post prandially/just after you eat... at which time you won't be losing much weight anyway because your body is being flooded with calories from the meal you've just eaten... the supressive effects of insulin on fat burning only happen significantly at times when your body is unlikely to be able to burn a net amount of fat anyway!

That's not to say lowering carbs might not help in some people... many folk, especially those who have allowed their bodyfat percentage to get quite high have a degree of insulin resistance, even if its not medically problematic, and so kick out a disproportionate amount of insulin in response to a carby meal... and this group of people might benefit from lowering carb intake. Also, eating/snacking on carbs constantly throughout the day may not be sensible as it could leave you with raised insulin levels above baseline for a longer than ok length of time.

The other reason to maybe lower carbs is that when the body doesn't get enough energy from glucose it has to make it from protein, and that is a very energy expensive process... if I remember right it costs six extra ATP molecules to convert one protein molecule to stored ATP energy as it does one glucose molecule. That's enough to potentially make a difference of up to a few hundred kcals a day on a very low carb/high protein diet and is where the metabolic advantage often talked about seems to lie.

The idea that high fat diets themselves encourage the body to be more fat burning isn't actually demonstrated... sure on a very low carb/high fat diet your body upregulates enzymes required to burn fat but the extra fat you are burning comes from the extra fat you are eating, not stored fat! To burn this stored fat there's still only one way...A CALORIE DEFICIT!

With all that in mind, remember whatever diet you choose, calorie restriction is the most important thing... and also that low carb diets without any carb intake will be more catabolic to muscle and also reduce exercise performance. If you are gonna go low carb do a CKD or TKD diet... flat out keto is pretty [email protected] for someone who works out IMO.
great post pal

iv got a stag due next weekend.

after that i will be starting a diet. no point starting it now. but will just be watching cals and carbs. im not going to cut out carbs like ali said. but time when i have carbs
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top