UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

Registered
Whys it not feasible when compared to a shake?
Feasible simple means it's of convenience / ease, which a glass of milk most certainly is.

Assuming the rest of your diet is as it should be, consuming some lactose isn't going to cause any undue burden on your pancreas or cause you to become insulin resistant and it offers all of the other benefits I listed as a snack in part of a broader meal plan.
"Feasible" depends on the intentions of the individual; in this case it would depend on how often this guy intends to consume said snack. "Snack" certainly suggests a degree of regularity to me.

So assuming he wants to beat the 42g of protein he mentions from a protein bar, he's gonna have to consume a lot of milk to do that. Let's say he just wanted 50g, that would be a litre and a half of milk each time... and 75g of sugar. And probably bloating like you wouldn't believe.

So no, I don't think drinking a litre and a half of milk at a time is a feasible (healthy on a regular basis) snack since the sugar outweighs the protein, and it's a crazy amount of liquid to sit and consume when you could just make a shake.

What ill effect on your gains and or health are you suggesting will occur by consuming 400-500ml of milk in a day?
At no point did I ever suggest that.

Premium Member
Bear in mind whole milk is very nutritious (vitamins, minerals etc) compared to straight whey. IMO milk tastes much better too can鈥檛 beat a cold pint of milk, whereas a shake even a 鈥減remium鈥 one always feels like a chore to drink.

If very concerned about lactose then lactose free/reduced is readily available.

Super Moderator
"Feasible" depends on the intentions of the individual; in this case it would depend on how often this guy intends to consume said snack. "Snack" certainly suggests a degree of regularity to me.

So assuming he wants to beat the 42g of protein he mentions from a protein bar, he's gonna have to consume a lot of milk to do that. Let's say he just wanted 50g, that would be a litre and a half of milk each time... and 75g of sugar. And probably bloating like you wouldn't believe.

So no, I don't think drinking a litre and a half of milk at a time is a feasible (healthy on a regular basis) snack since the sugar outweighs the protein, and it's a crazy amount of liquid to sit and consume when you could just make a shake.

At no point did I ever suggest that.

Okay well we've obviously different interpretations of the term snack.

I've never really associated it with any kind of particular frequency rather than just something that is quick and easy to eat on occasion.

Either way the lactose in the milk isn't going to kill him and the bloat is person dependent, I can easily consume a litre of milk without bloating 'beyond belief' or as @lewdylewd has pointed out there is always lactose free options for those that are particularly sensitive.

Must be a new age thing that milk is considered deleterious to a performance and muscle gaining focused nutrition plan and health.

Have to agree to disagree on this one I think.

Super Moderator
Bear in mind whole milk is very nutritious (vitamins, minerals etc) compared to straight whey. IMO milk tastes much better too can鈥檛 beat a cold pint of milk, whereas a shake even a 鈥減remium鈥 one always feels like a chore to drink.

If very concerned about lactose then lactose free/reduced is readily available.
Sooner drink milk myself also.

Whey bloats me out to the point I barely consume it these days as it ends up being a false economy on getting kcals in

Goes down easy but then leaves me bloated, struggling to digest other foods and subsequently not very hungry.

Premium Member
Sooner drink milk myself also.

Whey bloats me out to the point I barely consume it these days as it ends up being a false economy on getting kcals in

Goes down easy but then leaves me bloated, struggling to digest other foods and subsequently not very hungry.
Whey protein just makes me feel sick those artificial flavourings and sweeteners are sickly

41 - 52 of 52 Posts