UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Gym Addict
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never really been to any gyms with really big guys in, saw

someone bench 140kg x 6 the other day and was really inspired by that

stuff, and I think someday I'd like to do the same.

my genetics are average i'm 6'2 195lbs age 18 can bench about 70kg i think so nothing out of the ordinary but I always give it my best

do you think this is an attainable weight for a natural, average lifter

I don't care about the 6 reps part just would like to be able to lift it someday

G

·
Yeah, 140's a good weight but not unobtainable for someone of your stats mate.

Learning to bench with leg drive will add weight to your lift straight away.

·
Gym Addict
183 Posts
I read somewhere that the average man who has never lifted weights before would be able to bench 50kg.

I train alot "average" guys and this is about right, 50kg squat and 110kg dead is average for the first timer.

·
Has a 6 pack in the right light
3,643 Posts
to the op, have you just started training or has it taken some time to get to 70?

i have similar stats to you appart from im quite a bit older

when i started i reckon i could have done 1 rep 65-75, 5 reps at 55-60

·
Newbie Trainer
45 Posts
140kg is about 308 pounds and often on American boards you see guys talking/aiming for 300/400 lbs bench presses. There is the strength standard of 400 lb Squat, 300 lb Bench and 500 lb Dead which they say one should aim for. Keep plugging away.

·
4,336 Posts
i would say 140kgs i was lifting max before turning unnatural but i was young so could have lifted more so 140kgs is more than achievable mate, i found it a slow start when i first started bench press free weight and i was stuck at 70kgs for a while but it then started going up rapidly. May have been diet etc i cant really remember. i would focus on light good reps to start, you will also be suprised on the heavy weights how much you will use your shoulders

·
Premium Member
9,828 Posts
aj4 said:
140kg is about 308 pounds and often on American boards you see guys talking/aiming for 300/400 lbs bench presses. There is the strength standard of 400 lb Squat, 300 lb Bench and 500 lb Dead which they say one should aim for. Keep plugging away.
This is about right. 300lbs bench, 400lbs squat and 500lbs deadlift are a good tartget for an average man with average genetics. Some people may do more or less so it is just a rough guide.

·
Premium Member
10,733 Posts
140 is achievable for most I'd think. The speed at which you get to it will of course depend on whether you prioritise pure strength training or bodybuilding... the lower reps of typical strength training make load progressions a lot easier.

As for a starting bench press weight anywhere from 30-60kg seems about right for someone untrained... is not that important what you lift when you start, it's how consistent you progress that counts with consistent small gradual increases. No shame in having a 'weak' bench press if you've only been doing it a few months.

·
Cutting properly this time 1lb a week until I am h
634 Posts
cant king said:
I read somewhere that the average man who has never lifted weights before would be able to bench 50kg.

I train alot "average" guys and this is about right, 50kg squat and 110kg dead is average for the first timer.
110kg dead is a bit high for an average guy who doesn't work out.

·
Banned
9,878 Posts
Smitch said:
I would class 140kg as an above average bench weight even for somone that is on gear.

I'd be interested to see how many people on here could really bench 140kg.
Count me in :thumbup1:

But if im honest its my 1RM so cant do it for reps, most ive got is 2 with 140kg

·
Getting HUGE!
1,393 Posts
Smitch said:
I would class 140kg as an above average bench weight even for somone that is on gear.

I agree. It is easy to band around big numbers but 140Kg is a massive weight which ever way you look at it. Sure there are plenty of guys that will do 140kg+ but these tend to be people that have been training a long time and have built up to it over a number of years.

I think 100Kg is a major bench mark. IMO it is harder to 100kg from scratch than it is to get from 100kg to 140kg.

·
4,336 Posts
Smitch said:

i disagree, theres a fair few people at mine gym lifting this weight. i couldnt say for certain they are not on gear but im sure a few of them arent. 140kg for 6 reps really isnt alot when you have been training for a while.

For the new trainer this weight definately isnt achievable and i would say 99% of people out there if they havent trained before would be able to lift over 100kg.

Also what you have to bear in mind is how good is the lift, is it all the way down, i know before i turned to the gear they were smallish reps

·
Premium Member
11,201 Posts
the only natural guys i know who can bench big numbers are not average, they are the rugby playing naturally big guys who are born to be strong without even setting foot in a gym.

·
Mr Universe
8,690 Posts
a.notherguy said:
the only natural guys i know who can bench big numbers are not average, they are the rugby playing naturally big guys who are born to be strong without even setting foot in a gym.
Thats the thing that stuart mcrobert points out in his book beyond brawn... that most of the people who train and are NOT hard gainers in the true sense (what he would call most people from what I gather so far) always blat on about how anyone can lift heavy its just a matter of lifting... its simply not true... I would say that a huge proportion of the population would find it a struggle to lift 100 or more... for reps... bbing boards are the last place to ask this sort of thing cos EVERYONE can lift hyoooooge weights now cant we... :D :whistling:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.