UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Patch is no Match
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am 23 years old I handed my notice in at work last Saturday. I am going to college next Wednesday. I am currently going to recieve 1500 a year student benefits.

.. I am going to live at home with my parents but at 23 and being independant for over a year I think I should be entitled to more than this..I am not expecting my parents to pay for me my clothes food and things. Jobs are hard to come by as you know. I reckon it will be hard going back to live with them in their new house because that is exactly how it will feel "theirs"

I am going to look for a part time job at college...

I am not a scrounger or a sponge. But I really do want to get the most I can when I can since I have paid taxes and deserve it plus I am going to get a decent education and hopefully be able to put something back into society in the long run..

I know a lot of people who are out of work and live off the social and have a much easier life than I do..

·
Premium Member
17,863 Posts
"Jobs are hard to come by"???

ANYONE can get a job doing something be it call centre, cleaning toilets etc.

I had to have a part time job when i was at college and work every bit of overtime i could, it was hard but doable.

I know doesnt answer your question mate but is this a possibility for you??

·
Eat-Sleep-Train
6,419 Posts
kieren1234 said:
"Jobs are hard to come by"???

ANYONE can get a job doing something be it call centre, cleaning toilets etc.

I had to have a part time job when i was at college and work every bit of overtime i could, it was hard but doable.

I know doesnt answer your question mate but is this a possibility for you??
Are you for real ? :confused1:

·
Getting HUGE!
1,393 Posts
Just to be clear.... your off to college and going to live with your parents. You get £1,500 in student benefits and are going to find a part time job.

Why exactly do you need benefits? I would have thought living on your part time job with a bit of support from the folks is just what every student does? :)

·
Patch is no Match
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well no I am going to try and get a part time job,, I have cleaned to toilets for over 19 months, lol..

I don't really want to recieve hand outs from my parents haven't since I started work really..

·
Premium Member
17,863 Posts
offo said:
well no I am going to try and get a part time job,, I have cleaned to toilets for over 19 months, lol..

I don't really want to recieve hand outs from my parents haven't since I started work really..
I know what you mean mate, i dont like handouts at all as feel guyilty and prefer to pay my own way. although i must admit, when i was a student my dad did clear about £2k of my loan, but that was because he always said he would pay tuition fees for me and didnt....

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
offo said:

Your parents have done their bit . give them some peace. your 23, share a place with other students

Goodluck

·
Patch is no Match
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should be able to claim jobseekers if looking for a part time job I believe even when I am a full time student... I hope I do recieve something for being a mature student...

I am lucky my employer said to me today that if it doesn't work out at college I can always come back to work their..They also said I can come back to work the odd weekend if its busy that will help...

I handed my notice in the right way about it and I am a grafter I guess it pays off to be sensible about things

·
Patch is no Match
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Replicator said:
Your parents have done their bit . give them some peace. your 23, share a place with other students

Goodluck
Thats exactly what I have said..But this college doesn't have accomadation and it really is my parents pushing me to come home and study to be fair..The want me to come home and do this.. I dont want to sponge off them or live at home f I could...but because of circumstances I lost a few important years.. due to moving countries..right in the middle of studying...So most people have a head start over me

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
offo said:
Thats exactly what I have said..But this college doesn't have accomadation and it really is my parents pushing me to come home and study to be fair..The want me to come home and do this.. I dont want to sponge off them or live at home f I could...but because of circumstances I lost a few important years.. due to moving countries..right in the middle of studying...So most people have a head start over me
Well if they are pushing you then go HOME !!! LOL

·
4,145 Posts
If you go to your college and see the financial advice people they will be able to tell you what you are entitled to. As you have a grant i doubt you will be able to claim job seekers allowence. You do however not have to pay council tax if you are in full time education.

·
going for it!!!
1,354 Posts
i actualy think it will take one phone call lol to the job centre they can pretty much tell you what you can and cant get.

but at the end of the day i lived at home through college had a weekend job no grant and lived fine.

if you have direct debits ur fooked haha

·
One step at a time.
5,255 Posts
Were you doing shift work? I'm starting full time college in September and have arranged with my boss that I can do 10 and 12 hour shifts from Friday-Sunday and 4 hour shifts on Wednesday and Thursday so I can still work my usual 42-44 hours per week and study.

If you're doing shift work maybe you can have a similar arrangement?

·
Test Enth with a few little blue hearts. MP65688
1,498 Posts
Well you wont get almost any benefits if you admit to handing your notice in, JSA etc wont take you on for a minimum of 8 weeks (unless they're softer now).

As for education, you maybe entilded to an adult learning grant (£30 p/w)

Jobs, try mcdonalds, burget king, greggs, call centres anywhere which doesnt require skills...looks better on your cv.

·
Getting HUGE!
1,643 Posts
Check with Connexions or CAB, chat with your folks re how much keep they want out of you, pending on your course you might have laods to shell out on books etc.

Part time work is available, be it mopping out, KP, or delivering take aways, even if you just earn in £50-60 a week you be able to pay for you gym n extra grub.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.