UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
UK-Muscle Moderator
15,472 Posts
Well guys thought I would fill you in with how my last 2 weeks prep for the finals has been coming on..

Start of last week i started getting a pain down my left leg which basically got worse and worse probably due to doign 2 hours cardio a day giving my leg/back no time to rest..

by wednesday the pain was horrific so I went to see Miss BC who gave me a deep tissue massage on my glute which was AGONY but really relaxed my glute.. THANKS :D

the next morning i woke at 6am as normal to do my cardio.. the pain was so bad down my leg I went down the hospital and got diagnosed with Sciatica.. (which was fairly obvious) as most hospital A&E doctors in the UK they were in a rush wrote me a prescription for co-codomol, dicafenic and diazipan. Then sent me on my way...

i refused to go and asked for some physio after explaining i had the finals in 10 days etc...

so I went and got some physio booked for 2mrw (Monday) morning, the pain killers started the kick in so went home and chilled..

Went to bed on friday night still in pain but had a deep tissue massage that day and felt looser fro it..

woke at 4am with my stomach in agony so went to hospital AGAIN curled up in a ball.. got there, they put a drip in and gave me some pain killers and then a urine sample, which came back that I had blood in my urine..

so they did a heart ECG and took my BP which was all fine, took some blood tests which all came back fine with them saying the dicafenic was tearing my insides..

so still in brutal pain with the sciatica and the show is one week away :boohoo:

life sucks

·
Massive improvements made, cant wait to compete ag
6,981 Posts
:crying:

On the mend though with all fingers and toes crossed!!

·
UKBFF Scottish Classic Class Champ 2013
2,677 Posts
**** dude thats no good eh.

Yeah these days they will write you a pill for almost everything. Im sure when you get the physio tomorrow you will be pain free after getting the Sciatica popped back into place, had this done a few months ago. Agony for like 30secs then it heaven, no pain. :D

Geo

·
6,981 Posts
Captain Hero said:
am sorry to hear that your in such a bad way.

What can cause sciatica? and what is Dicafenic?
many things can cause sciatica ( i think DB has more a disc issue) resulting in sciatica symptoms

and diclofenac is an anti inflammatory

·
Complete Basket Case
4,766 Posts
diclofenac is similar to aspirin in that it aggravates the stomach lining. overdoses of diclo will cause ulcers and bleeding.

·
My Protein Discount Code MP2819
5,868 Posts
Hey DB! well, you are in a fix my little treacle tart :laugh:

Fortunately your regular little sportsdr may just have the cure for what ails ya :cool:

Sciatic pain is excrutiating and runs right down the back of the leg, but particuarly inthe glute and ham area.

Excluding trauma, its caused by impingment of the nerve, finding out by what is the battle.

You have had a little bum massage from the divine Miss BC, and the Drs at A&E have filled you full of pain killers bless them, neither I take it have worked? The Drs were trying to relax the muscles hoping to relieve the imingement, nice try, rarely succesful, and of course they were doing what they do best and treating symptoms.

Not trying to trad on anyones toes but this is a speciality of mine and can usually be fixed instantly. Pretty much 90% of the time I see this its due to vertebral mis-alignment, causing the impingement.

A physio can fix this with a manipulation of your back, *crack* its quick easy and painless, wish we lived closer or I would do your back for you. It certainly wont make matters worse if done well and I strongly suspect it will be an instant fix.

You can do it yourself but it requires relaxation and correct technique, hard to explain here but I will try! follow these instructions at your own risk as I am not there to show you personally.

On a bed, lay on your back, shimmy over to the left side of the bed so you are just touching the edge with your left side of your body.

Move your right arm away from your body to the side, you will use this arm for balance.

Take your right leg *gently* up and over the left twisting your lower torso and pelvis but keeping your shoulders flat on the bed. Use right arm for balance.

Your right leg should be bent with the lower part of your leg dangling down the side of the bed.

You may experience a few pops as you stretch out your back dont worry, quite healthy.

Position you are in now:

Laying down

Shoulders flat on bed

Right arm away from body for balance

Left arm tucked into left side

Left leg straight

Right leg crossed over left and relaxed

Lower torso and pelvis rotated to the left

NOW RELAX. As you relax your lower back muscles, which right now you are tensing, your lower back may give a few clunks, no worries quite normal.

Gently return to beginning position, shimmy over to right side and repeat.

All being well, you will hear a few clunks and straight away feel some relief. If you got no clunks, you werent relaxed enough, understandable as you are in pain, and will need a manipulation possibly or it is just a muscular problem.

I have had this myself DB, its agony, I farted around with muscle relaxants, pain killers etc for months but it wasnt until my GP manipulated me that I was fixed...instantly!

My ex (the physio) taught me to do it and it has worked wonders for nurses I have worked with and it works immediately.

I hope there is a solution here for you matey!

Take care

SD

btw, if it works, you have to let the manip settle. Dont go doing deads, squats etc or you will go right back ok! 1 week!

·
6,981 Posts
SportDr said:
Hey DB! well, you are in a fix my little treacle tart :laugh:

Fortunately your regular little sportsdr may just have the cure for what ails ya :cool:

Sciatic pain is excrutiating and runs right down the back of the leg, but particuarly inthe glute and ham area.

Excluding trauma, its caused by impingment of the nerve, finding out by what is the battle.

You have had a little bum massage from the divine Miss BC, and the Drs at A&E have filled you full of pain killers bless them, neither I take it have worked? The Drs were trying to relax the muscles hoping to relieve the imingement, nice try, rarely succesful, and of course they were doing what they do best and treating symptoms.

Not trying to trad on anyones toes but this is a speciality of mine and can usually be fixed instantly. Pretty much 90% of the time I see this its due to vertebral mis-alignment, causing the impingement.

A physio can fix this with a manipulation of your back, *crack* its quick easy and painless, wish we lived closer or I would do your back for you. It certainly wont make matters worse if done well and I strongly suspect it will be an instant fix.

You can do it yourself but it requires relaxation and correct technique, hard to explain here but I will try! follow these instructions at your own risk as I am not there to show you personally.

On a bed, lay on your back, shimmy over to the left side of the bed so you are just touching the edge with your left side of your body.

Move your right arm away from your body to the side, you will use this arm for balance.

Take your right leg *gently* up and over the left twisting your lower torso and pelvis but keeping your shoulders flat on the bed. Use right arm for balance.

Your right leg should be bent with the lower part of your leg dangling down the side of the bed.

You may experience a few pops as you stretch out your back dont worry, quite healthy.

Position you are in now:

Laying down

Shoulders flat on bed

Right arm away from body for balance

Left arm tucked into left side

Left leg straight

Right leg crossed over left and relaxed

Lower torso and pelvis rotated to the left

NOW RELAX. As you relax your lower back muscles, which right now you are tensing, your lower back may give a few clunks, no worries quite normal.

Gently return to beginning position, shimmy over to right side and repeat.

All being well, you will hear a few clunks and straight away feel some relief. If you got no clunks, you werent relaxed enough, understandable as you are in pain, and will need a manipulation possibly or it is just a muscular problem.

I have had this myself DB, its agony, I farted around with muscle relaxants, pain killers etc for months but it wasnt until my GP manipulated me that I was fixed...instantly!

My ex (the physio) taught me to do it and it has worked wonders for nurses I have worked with and it works immediately.

I hope there is a solution here for you matey!

Take care

SD

btw, if it works, you have to let the manip settle. Dont go doing deads, squats etc or you will go right back ok! 1 week!
Sounds good but im thinking it may be a little more than mis-alignment, hes very very positive with the slump test and SLR, he has crap lumber flexion and extension and pain with side bends, He has a very tight piriformis and pain coming down the back of his hams, pins and needles and also numbness in his foot!

I advised him to have a chat to the physio about maybe doing a distal glide of his sacrum in a side lying slump position and also maybe looking at taping him at a painful interface such as his fibular head or offloading his glutes!!

·
5,868 Posts
I love it when a lady talks science, its sexy :thumb:

Hmm DB is in a pickle, it wouldnt be unusual for those muscles to spasm in reaction to a mis-alignment, but it is severe if its all the way down to his foot.

Try the stretch DB, it may just save your bacon, just go easy fella :beer:

·
6,981 Posts
SportDr said:
I love it when a lady talks science, its sexy :thumb:

Hmm DB is in a pickle, it wouldnt be unusual for those muscles to spasm in reaction to a mis-alignment, but it is severe if its all the way down to his foot.

Try the stretch DB, it may just save your bacon, just go easy fella :beer:
as we speak DB is on the floor apparently doing a really nice piriformis stretch, in supine, one leg up on wall at 90 deg and the left leg externally rotated so his foot is on the other knee and just trying to stretch out a bit that way!!

Yea those muscles would spasm with just a pure mis alignment but with the numbness and pins/needles i think this is more of a disc issue especially with his highly positive SLUMP and SLR!!

·
5,868 Posts
Its no good we are gonna have to perform a discectomy, fetch the saw little luke DB has an appointment with my friend 'old painless' :D

Good job MissBC, looks like you have the big fella in hand. I remember this punk kid that turned up asking about dumbell curls or something a few years back amazing what a few protein shakes can do :beer:

Get well soon DB or your competitors are gonna be very happy you didnt turn up and blast em off the stage you super freak you! :bounce:

·
6,981 Posts
SportDr said:
Its no good we are gonna have to perform a discectomy, fetch the saw little luke DB has an appointment with my friend 'old painless' :D

Good job MissBC, looks like you have the big fella in hand. I remember this punk kid that turned up asking about dumbell curls or something a few years back amazing what a few protein shakes can do :beer:

Get well soon DB or your competitors are gonna be very happy you didnt turn up and blast em off the stage you super freak you! :bounce:
YUS doctor sounds good (means my naughty nurses outfit can get brought out of the closet)

Im trying my best to give him some guidence if its going to help!! Hes been through far to much in the lead up for it to go to poo now!! His competitors wont know what hit them!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts