UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
For the sake of very very little klcs I'd much prefer to drink squash. Don't know anyone until now looking for another way to make water taste better. There's a few low kcl zero sugar squashes around

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Because you'll be over flushing your system
Thanks guys. @Brian Multigym Well Shite I'm ****ed then, usually drink between 4-5 litres daily, never used electrolytes before.
How do the electrolytes work as in putting them in the water Do you use them per litre or just add them in your last litre of the day? Unsure how to add them in to the water intake. Will definitely be getting some after reading this.

·
Premium Member
16,878 Posts
Thanks guys. @Brian Multigym Well Shite I'm ****ed then, usually drink between 4-5 litres daily, never used electrolytes before.
How do the electrolytes work as in putting them in the water Do you use them per litre or just add them in your last litre of the day? Unsure how to add them in to the water intake. Will definitely be getting some after reading this.
Can just buy effervescent tablets and drop them in your water. Will flavour it too

·
Premium Member
16,878 Posts
Thank you gman, il order some. Il start with 2 tabs a day, one mid day then the other during training.

I'm doing 10000 steps most days in work and sweat quite alot as work in construction, plus training 4x a week hence drinking the 4-5 litres a day to replace it all. Thanks again
Keeps your minerals topped up and defo worth it for a few £

Can buy them in loads of places

·
Premium Member
Full Body Routine.
2,082 Posts
A post I have already written on this forum:-

Electrolytes Levels and Bodybuilding.

Electrolytes are minerals that are electrically charged (Positive and Negative charge) when dissolved in liquid. They are Essential for many important body functions. They are most known to start nerve impulses, aid with muscle contraction and help balance fluid in the body.

Five most common Electrolytes (minerals):-

Chloride
- Helps support the balance of fluids on the inside and outside of cells within the body. Also helps peak muscle function.
Potassium - Aids in nerve impulse conduction, muscle contraction and heartbeat regulation.
Calcium - Supports muscle contraction and helps regulate heartbeat.
Sodium - Helps maintain Fluid Balance within the body and muscle contraction.
Magnesium - Vital in many chemical reactions within the body - regulating heart rate, supporting muscle contraction, conduction of nerve impulse and more.

Electrolytes support Essential Functions:-

Muscle Contractions
- Electrolytes help trigger the muscle contraction process, without them your muscles would not contract. Not forgetting your heart muscle!
Fluid Balance - Your body is made up of mostly water. Water is used when you breathe, to digest food, to regulate your temperature and many other body functions. Your organs, tissue and cells need Fluid Balance to function.

So remember when you are training hard in the summer in warm gyms you will be sweating and losing Electrolytes. If you train hard for an hour or more, especially with HIIT thrown in, be careful. Lack of Electrolytes in your body can cause nausea, vomiting, muscle cramps, muscle weakness, irregular heartbeat, dizziness and worse.

In addition, drinking to much water can cause the loss of important minerals and some people develop a condition known as "water intoxication" which causes blood Sodium levels to drop causing an Electrolyte imbalance and you definitely do not want that.

Moral of the story is, have a sports drink with you containing the above minerals or Smart Water or buy your own Electrolyte powder to mix your drink for the gym yourself. You normally get your intake of Electrolytes (minerals) from food and fruit. Also a multivitamin.

Once you feel thirsty, you are already 3% dehydrated which reduces maximal performance by 15%.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts