UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Dance like nobodys watching....Fcuk like your bein
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Im thinking of wall mounting my tv. Its a 42'' samsung. Im fed up of it being in the corner on the glass stand and would prefer it up on the wall.

I have a bit of a problem though, the wall inwhich the tv is to be mounted on is brick and not studded. and i would therefore need move a plug socket to the location of where my tv is to help hide any wires.

So, i have simply two solutions:

I can either: chisel out a channel from where my tv is to be to move the plug socket and then replaster and paint

Or

I can use some sort of tidy cable organiser thing like a wire raceway to hide the wires gonig to the plug socket in its original position.

Is it diffcult to move a plug socket? How would you extend a plug socket to move it...would you use a junction box and rewire it to your preferred location?

Any help, experience or advice would be great.

Thanks

·
Getting HUGE!
1,393 Posts
Personally, I would use some trunking stuck to the wall but that is because if I started moving a plug socket, that would end in a wall needing to be re-built!!

You can get some quite fancy trunking these days and would take care of the other cables etc.

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will101 said:
Personally, I would use some trunking stuck to the wall but that is because if I started moving a plug socket, that would end in a wall needing to be re-built!!

You can get some quite fancy trunking these days and would take care of the other cables etc.
Cheers will, im worried about having to rebuild a wall also. Truncking would be the better option but im unsure whether it would be the tidiest option.

Thanks for the advise though, ill have a look to see what is avaliable

·
Ohh, it's the deep burn. Oh, I can barely lift
86 Posts
The best way is to chisel out where your goin to lay the wire ,move the wire and socket fill it then plaster it. This way is the neatest finished job but can be messy and if you cant do it yourself will cost you a few quid.

·
Gym Addict
476 Posts
Ant Marks said:
Cheers will, im worried about having to rebuild a wall also. Truncking would be the better option but im unsure whether it would be the tidiest option.

Thanks for the advise though, ill have a look to see what is avaliable
Trunking is defo the best option, it'll hide all the cables nice and neat and you'll be able to access them when required. An extension lead to just sit above the skirting board, a lot cheaper and a lot less @rsing about :thumb:

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rankinc said:
Trunking is defo the best option, it'll hide all the cables nice and neat and you'll be able to access them when required. An extension lead to just sit above the skirting board, a lot cheaper and a lot less @rsing about :thumb:
hmmm....think im going to have to go with trunking as it does seem the easiest, but extending the cable and fitting an additional socket on the wall would look the best

·
Newbie Trainer
58 Posts
Hi Mate

I'm guessing you'll also have an aerial cable to hide + DVD + Sky Signal?

Trunking is a good option but if like me you want the cables to be hidden then chase the plaster out......I did trunking once and it drives me mad!

Do you know if it's plasterboard or plaster straight on to the brick/stone? You may need to check the depth.

Regarding the electrics.....It'll be better if you get a sparky (or someone Part P registered) in to wire up a proper spur for the power....whilst channeling out you can sling in any other cables you may need.

If you don't already use a HDMI cable then buy one and run it in for future use (Blue Ray etc etc).

Another way round the electrics is to run a small extension or 3 core 1.5mm/sq cable and terminate it yourself with an IEC (TV end) and a 13a plug. The 13a plug will of course need to be fused correctly. This means you won't need to run twin and earth etc etc.

Any questions send me a message mate..... :beer:

A totally different way to do it would be to build out a false wall with stud and plasterboard. You can be clever with this and leave a cove / overlap around the TV wall. This means you can put lighting in there to give the real pro edge! It's actually not a massive or expensive job so long as you know someone who's handy with 2" x 1" and plasterboard.

Hope this helps:thumbup1:

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bawny said:
Hi Mate

I'm guessing you'll also have an aerial cable to hide + DVD + Sky Signal?

Trunking is a good option but if like me you want the cables to be hidden then chase the plaster out......I did trunking once and it drives me mad!

Do you know if it's plasterboard or plaster straight on to the brick/stone? You may need to check the depth.

Regarding the electrics.....It'll be better if you get a sparky (or someone Part P registered) in to wire up a proper spur for the power....whilst channeling out you can sling in any other cables you may need.

If you don't already use a HDMI cable then buy one and run it in for future use (Blue Ray etc etc).

Another way round the electrics is to run a small extension or 3 core 1.5mm/sq cable and terminate it yourself with an IEC (TV end) and a 13a plug. The 13a plug will of course need to be fused correctly. This means you won't need to run twin and earth etc etc.

Any questions send me a message mate..... :beer:

A totally different way to do it would be to build out a false wall with stud and plasterboard. You can be clever with this and leave a cove / overlap around the TV wall. This means you can put lighting in there to give the real pro edge! It's actually not a massive or expensive job so long as you know someone who's handy with 2" x 1" and plasterboard.

Hope this helps:thumbup1:
Exactly Mate, ive just noticed now. Ive got the bloody aerial socket to move and sky cable to extend too!!

Im really liking the studded wall idea you know. I want the cables totally hidden and i would bet installing a floating shelf underneath to hold the sky, dvd, and ps3. It shouldnt be a really big job either.

Think i will get a sparky to take and look and see what can happen, Cheers for the reply mate!

·
Banned
10,291 Posts
I went the trunking route, put the arials in it too - and network cable etc, sat just on top of the skirting board. Also got some truncking up to the TV and then wallpapered over it the same pattern as the wall so you cant see it, looks ace.

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Magic Torch said:
I went the trunking route, put the arials in it too - and network cable etc, sat just on top of the skirting board. Also got some truncking up to the TV and then wallpapered over it the same pattern as the wall so you cant see it, looks ace.
so im assuming that you socket is located directly below the tv just above the skirting board?

if i was to run the trunking then it would have to be straight down, then run roughly 1 metre along the left of the skirting board to the socket.....dont this it would be accomplishable

·
Banned
10,291 Posts
Ant Marks said:
so im assuming that you socket is located directly below the tv just above the skirting board?

if i was to run the trunking then it would have to be straight down, then run roughly 1 metre along the left of the skirting board to the socket.....dont this it would be accomplishable
Nah there is a TV Unit from Ikea under the TV (about a foot off the floor and 4 feet long) which has the DVD, Wii etc in it. I ran the trunking from 12 feet to the right of it in the corner of room to under the TV and put the ext block inside the unit. The arial is in it too as the TV used to be in the corner too. Then there it some flatter wider trunking up the wall to the TV with the Scart, HDMI and power and arial in it.

The TV is in the middle of the room now.

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dude, if its not too much to ask...could you get us a photo up....it would be alot easier for me to do this...but i want to see how it looks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.