UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
One step at a time.
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another uni thread but though since there is a new one I will post my queries.

Just wondering which Uni some of you have been to and how you found it?

I'm currently thinking of Manchester Met, I start my HEFC course on the 13th of this month but need to have all my UCAS forms sorted and apply to Universities by the 15th October!

Very early I thought so I just want peoples experiences/pro's/cons about the Uni you went to.

·
Fatty Bum-Bum
1,075 Posts
I'm starting my 3rd year next week.

It's a lot harder than I thought, you really have to put a load of work in.

Especially for dissertations/essays etc

But it's great fun and you meet ace like-minded people,

I was going to go to Man Met but decided to stay where I am now,

word of advice (as I know loads of people who go there), you really have to

make you're own path there as 1-2-1 tutorials are pretty infrequent.

So get to know the guys/girls on the years above, because you are pretty much on your own.

But Manchester night life is ace :D

·
Pain is weakness leaving the body
253 Posts
Uni life is good mate...i go to teesside uni, area isnt cracking but the uni is one of the best. First year isnt that tough but it apparantly get harder as you go along (im going into 2nd year this time). You are very much on your own though when it come to work etc..

·
One step at a time.
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still don't know which Uni I want to go for, I haven't even had any open days yet! I wanted to have a trip down to Bournemouth Uni but I hear it's not very good if you aren't studying media or arts.

Man Met has the 2 perfect courses I want to do and I know the nightlife is good - which I consider very important when you need to relax - and I spent 6 days in my ex's room :D ... but then again I know nothing of their teaching methods/quality etc.

I really don't understand how people can choose a Uni!! So many things to consider and so little time to do it!

·
Fatty Bum-Bum
1,075 Posts
What you thinking of doing?

As far as uni's go I've been to a few open days.

Sheffield has a good rep,

Huddersfield has had a re-vamp lately with loads of new facilities,

Man Met has reputation and social life,

Bolton's not bad,

Salford's not bad either, very easy to get to...

Liverpool's pretty much the same as Manchester.

It is difficult to choose, took me ages :)

·
One step at a time.
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
frowningbudda said:
What you thinking of doing?

Human Biology and Nutrition.

I think I'm gonna have to take a week or so off work and just visit different places. :/

I start my HEFC diploma on 13th this month and will be studying Human Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

And I have a confession... It's thanks to UK-M I have sparked such a massive interest in Human Biology and Nutrition :thumb:

·
Fatty Bum-Bum
1,075 Posts
Best to have a look around bud,

I know a girl that is doing biology/chemistry in Manchester and tbh I knew more about protein synthesis and amino acids than her lol (all garnered from here).

She likes it, 1st year was easy then gets way more difficult - but that is the same everywhere.

Don't forget to ask about grants and (especially) bursaries as well as they vary uni to uni...

·
Gym Addict
437 Posts
Went to University of Southampton. Excellent uni, constantly developing and new infrastructure coming in and great reputation. Good uni gym as well! Small city but probably the most accessible university city i've been to.

Did my masters at Nottingham Uni, again a great establishment, loved the city as well. You cant go wrong.

And with both of these cities you have the Met unis, where the girls are not as smart but hotter and DTF! :)

But for you to get a real good idea you have to go on the open days ideally and spend some time on your own on campus in the town etc to get a good feel of the place.

·
Unless you're a bodybuilder you only rent food
5,555 Posts
The choice of Uni is not just about a course that fits you perfectly, ease of access and how much fun you'll have.

Some unis have particularly good departments in certain subjects - excellent facilities and staff.

For instance, Bristol is famous for aeronautics, Manchester for electronics, Birmingham (was) for automotive engineering...

School/college staff should be able to shed more light on other unis.

The quality of the department and the reputation of your uni not only affect how comprehensively you learn, but the value of your degree in the jobs market too.

And btw it's important to go away to uni - not to live at home...

·
Gym Addict
437 Posts
Prodiver said:
The choice of Uni is not just about a course that fits you perfectly, ease of access and how much fun you'll have.

Some unis have particularly good departments in certain subjects - excellent facilities and staff.

For instance, Bristol is famous for aeronautics, Manchester for electronics, Birmingham (was) for automotive engineering...

The quality of the department and the reputation of your uni not only affect how comprehensively you learn, but the value of your degree in the jobs market too.

x2 Definetly the most important aspect in your selection criteria.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-biosciences

Im sure you can fins a more specific rating guide for Human Anatomy/Biology but its a starting point.

·
Premium Member
12,895 Posts
I did my first year at Warwick Uni and then completed my degree with the OU.

Personally, I hated Warwick; ended up in really snobby halls where no one wanted any fun!! That was more to do with the halls of residence I chose though. I felt lost there; too many people and no guidence. It was different though when I studied for a certificate there though; I gained more support as a more mature student for some reason.

The OU on the other hand...they paid so much attention to ensuring I was settled and knew what I was doing, there was tonnes of support. Only downfall though is that it takes longer and requires more work IMO

·
Premium Member
12,895 Posts
Prodiver said:

So true! I always searched online to see how relevent departments had been rated so that the uni on my cv would be look good and to ensure a good education :)

·
EFBB Winner
4,620 Posts
Themanabolic said:
Uni of liverpool at the moment, its great for the course i do, really enjoy the city, last year now, and hopefully heading to a uni down south next...
Also at Uni of Liverpool, also going into final year. Got a 1st last year and hope to achieve the same this year. Can't wait to go into a graduate job and earn some cash before I figure out exactly what I want to do. Sick of being a broke-a55 motherfcuker!

Pros of uni

meet loads of cool people

get to be lazy for the whole first year

learn interesting stuff

probs the most fun period of your life

Cons

I'm personally skint all the time, but there's so many rich kids who aren't (and you have to hear about it)

you can't take bodybuilding amazingly seriously if you want to have fun (in my experience, jordan would probs disagree)

Some of the people on my department are pants!

Did I mention I was skint?

·
One step at a time.
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Prodiver said:

Good post, thank's for that :) I ditched the idea of Bournemouth when I read it's not much good if you're not doing media or the likes.

MMU really rates very low on that website Pira provided, thank's for that too mate.

I was looking at York as my first choice actually since it's not like Manchester full of drunks - or at least thats my impression.

Gonna look at Leicester, Bristol and Sheffield right now :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.