UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I need your wisdom. I've always been a morning trainer, but recently with a new job I'm now forced to train at about 7.30pm instead. For some reason, I will crank out a tough session, drive home, eat, shower and try to sleep... but end up being awake till 3am!

Not good when I have to get up at 6 every morning.

Do you guys have any tips for sleeping better while training in the evening? Or is this simply something I will get used to over time?

P.S. I don't consume any caffeine after 10am and don't take preworkout any more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your CNS is getting fired up that's all, do you do anything to relax in the evenings like a Hot Shower, feet up and watch some TV or even try a podcast or something while you try and drift off

·
Newbie Trainer
364 Posts
Everyone's body is different. If I train too late...no matter what I do I can't sleep. You can try things like melatonin or adjust your diet...eat less post workout for example.

·
Looking Freaky
2,767 Posts
I feel your pain , had the same trouble for a while some time back . Never really did get around the problem as the same as you jus to wired for hours on end after training . I just knock my self out these days , zopes are shite as they only work for a few days then become less affective and need a break . Now I take 15mg mirtazapine and sleep like a baby every night Usually drop a pill as I walk out the gym , by the time I get home eat and shower I am ready for bed

will warn you though if you do try , take them early , as they last 12 hours and can knock you the **** out first time trying them and can easily over sleep .(y)

·
Registered
Back, Hamstrings and Glutes, Shoulders and Triceps, Quads and Calves, Chest and Bicep
1 Posts
you may want to try a stim free pre workout if you are currently using a caffeine based one. try not to use your phone after the gym before bed and look for a book to read. the light from the screen tends to keep us up later compared to reading. it may just take some time for your body to adjust tot he new training schedule as it is currently used to the routine of: Train, work all day, sleep.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel your pain , had the same trouble for a while some time back . Never really did get around the problem as the same as you jus to wired for hours on end after training . I just knock my self out these days , zopes are shite as they only work for a few days then become less affective and need a break . Now I take 15mg mirtazapine and sleep like a baby every night Usually drop a pill as I walk out the gym , by the time I get home eat and shower I am ready for bed

will warn you though if you do try , take them early , as they last 12 hours and can knock you the **** out first time trying them and can easily over sleep .(y)
Mirtazipine. Ok, nice one. Can you PM me buddy? Cheers

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I had to swap my evening sessions for am sessions for the exact same reason, i sleep shit anyway but far better on morning training, sucks bud! Give magnesium L-Threonate a try, not normal magnesium as that stuff has a habit of keeping me awake, if you buy a high quality threonate version and take the max dose (maybe even an extra cap) it helps me fall asleep and fall back to sleep if i wake through the night.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had to swap my evening sessions for am sessions for the exact same reason, i sleep shit anyway but far better on morning training, sucks bud! Give magnesium L-Threonate a try, not normal magnesium as that stuff has a habit of keeping me awake, if you buy a high quality threonate version and take the max dose (maybe even an extra cap) it helps me fall asleep and fall back to sleep if i wake through the night.
Thank you. I will look into that. Hope I can make evening sessions work for me because I have no option to train in AM with my new job

It's evenings or not at all

·
Premium Member
22,829 Posts
I’m the same, can’t sleep if I train after 6pm, it’s bad enough around 4pm. Luckily I have the home gym option so if I was in your shoes, I’d get up at 4:30am and get it done.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m the same, can’t sleep if I train after 6pm, it’s bad enough around 4pm. Luckily I have the home gym option so if I was in your shoes, I’d get up at 4:30am and get it done.
Can't buddy. Gyms in my area all open at7. I'm due at work at 8.

Irs evenings or not at all

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
I start work at 7:30am and my gym opens at 6:30am but from my gym to work it takes 15 mins, so i blast a quick 30-40 min session out and head straight to work, its not ideal but i aint chasing gains these days so its enough for what i need.

·
So it seems a Human had been rather injured by a k
9,544 Posts
Do you have weekends off? You could get a couple good workouts in then. Then get a couple 30 min workouts in the morning before work.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, what I think I'm gonna do is try to re-jig my routine to base it mainly around the weekends

I could manage 1 evening sesh at the end of the work week because I can sleep in sat

then train sat.sun also

that's at least 3 solid sessions

i will work it out

thanks for all the input guys

·
Premium Member
Full Body Routine.
1,005 Posts
I trained at night for years, coming home from the gym about 10pm. Got used to it, can't remember ever struggling to sleep, that said I'd been at work prior, probably tired out. Sorry mate can't help.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I trained at night for years, coming home from the gym about 10pm. Got used to it, can't remember ever struggling to sleep, that said I'd been at work prior, probably tired out. Sorry mate can't help.
yeah i think ive noticed its more down to the intensity

if i train hard, like properly hard, then its damn near impossible to sleep

if i kinda half arse it, then i can fall asleep

·
Gym Addict
3,239 Posts

How long you been doing that for though ? You could get addicted? Not lecturing you by the way just saying. I’m having some sleep problems occasionally myself and then I have a bad day and I get the occasionally anxiety.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts