UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is in the right section, I am sorry if it is not.

I was just after your opinions really on my current training, see what you would recommend any changes?

Monday - Shoulders

4 Exercises,

Military Press - 3 sets x 8 Reps

Arnie Press - 3 sets x 8 Reps

Shrugs 6 sets x 8 Reps (not sure why, we were just told to do 6 sets)

and one other exercise usually decided on the day - 3 sets x 8 Reps

Tuesday - Biceps

4 Exercises, 3 Sets x 8 reps

Preacher Curls

Concentration Curls

Hammers

one other.

Wednesday - Chest and Triceps

Bench

DB Press

DB Flys

Triceps Pull Down

Thursday - Legs

Squats

Leg Press

Calf Extension

Hammy Curls

Friday - Back

Deadlifts

Wide Grip Pull Ups (three sets to fail)

bent over row

Lat Pull down

Saturday and sunday are both rest days, sometimes gentle swim but mainly relaxation. Monday's I also have rugby training, usually cardio and match practice, Wednesday I have a rugby match.

All comments welcomed.

Thanks.

·
Ex-mod
4,744 Posts
What are you training towards? Increased strength and fitness for the rugby or to get big? How big are you? How long have you been training? How old are you? What's your diet like? Do you supplement or take gear?

Without knowing anything other than you do quite a lot of rugby related stuff I'd say that you'd be better off aggregating your workouts into three, and use the push / pull system to maximise your recovery time and ability (which will already be stretched due to your rugby).

I'd recommend day on, day off:

Day 1: Chest, front & side delts, triceps

Day 2: rest

Day 3: Legs, abs

Day 4: rest

Day 5: Back, rear delts, traps, biceps

Day 6: rest

Repeat.

This way each muscle is only trained once in a six day cycle and gives them maximum time to recover and then grow and gain strength. I won't advise on the individual workouts - you'll know yourself what exercises to do but I'd increase the reps a bit (pyramid them) if you're training to gain size.

Don't forget rest, water, diet and supplementation are just as important as your workouts. Hope I don't sound too patronising, it's not intended to be!!

Good luck, train hard!

·
Newbie Trainer
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ideally want to get big, I want to move futher infield for rugby, currently a winger..

I am 20 and been trianing on off for around 3 years but earlier on was all cardio. Been lifting for 6-8 months.

Rest I am getting around 7-8 hours usually about 12.30 - 8.30 Diet is deffinetly improving.

Good breakfast, eating smaller meals frequently, a good breakfast.

Supplements - Protein and creatine.

Since posting this I have thought along the same lines as you, split into 3 days Back and Bis, chest and tri's, legs and shoulders, though i see you put front delts and side delts, would you recomend this over my idea?What do you mean by pyramid?

Thanks for your advice and time,

Coady.

·
Hulking Out!
1,950 Posts
i would say defdaz's schedule is more what you want. biceps certainly doesn't need it's own workout, it's such a tiny muscle!

day 1: legs/forearms - this means squats.at least 5 sets.preferably 8. SL deadlifts/good mornings, lunges. compounds. farmers walk and other forearms.

day 2: chest/tris/delts - benchpress/db press,military press/shoulder press, lateral raises, you know the deal theres a million exercises for these groups.

day 3: back/bis/abs - this means DEADLIFTS!some form of rows, shrugs, WEIGHTED ab exercises (would you train your biceps by curling thin air for 30 reps?), pullups/pulldowns.

place your rests in between as you feel.

·
Newbie Trainer
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for advice, yeah I am always focusing on compound exercises, Squats, DL's Bench, Pull ups etc... Like the advice on the weighted ab exercises! never thought of it like that.

·
Ex-mod
4,744 Posts
Problem with training your delts separate from your chest and triceps is that when you do the pushing exercises such as dumbell presses, barbell presses etc. you use your triceps and even your pecs too.

This means you end up training your pecs, front delts (exercised hard on chest day) and triceps all would get worked twice in the six day period, seriously reducing your recovery ability and probably resulting in an over-trained state. Not good!

Pyramid - increase the weight each set of an exercise. So the first set is very light - easy to knock out 15 reps. More as a warm-up than anything. Next set increase the weight and possibly go to failure. Next set increase the weight again and go to failure. It's the safest way of working up to your heaviest weight and becomes increasingly important as your strength improves (the more weight you lift the more your joints / tendons and muscle fibres themselves need warming up).

Sounds like your diet is great! Good luck!

·
Newbie Trainer
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers for the advice, will try encorporating it into my training on monday ( always have to start new things on a monday, I am strange like that)

cheers again.

·
Grey but still growing
51 Posts
I'd tend to agree with what everyone else is saying, but to add a thought.

Have a look at the sets you were doing for each body part compared to their relative size. For example in your original post you were doing 12 sets for biceps (not including the indirect work they receive from training back), and only 6 sets for quads with another 3 for hams.

Stick with the compound movements, and eat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.