UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Trade to get into as i have some free time on my hands

1K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  BigPinkShrimp 
#1 ·
Ive been working in office based jobs for over 15 years. Call centres, finance etc.

However i have some free time finally. Ideally wanna study or do some sort of course to get into a decent trade . Im almost 40. Need to a career change. Asap

Any suggestions.

I was thinking of gas engineering or electrician.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
My lad is a tradesman. Judging by how much times he spends in the cold and on his knees I’m glad I stuck to being an office worker. Over 40 I‘d cautiously suggest sticking with it and qualifying in something that pays. Not the answer you are looking for but that’s my view.

#6 ·
I have overseen apprenticeship schemes for various trades; pipefitters, sparks, carpenters etc. Until a few years ago getting on an apprenticeship over the age of 21 was extremely difficult because of how the funding worked however since the introduction of the levy system the age barrier has been lifted and it is now not uncommon to get apprentice applications for people into their 50s.

As for which trade; as a mechanical engineer I am bias towards fitting, however if you enjoy getting manicures and fellating other men then electrical may be the route for you

#14 ·
whats the goal?

more money, less work, more physically active, better work/life balance?

imo at nearly 40 you arent going to be able to change into a new career thats going to make you more cash, generally speaking of course. If you factor in the 2,3 or 4 years of training that takes you on the wrong side of 40 with zero competitive advantage over younger guys.

#15 ·
^ that's the issue isn't it. I'm 33 and would love to get out of my trade and into a different one. But without at least halving my income its extremely hard. Trapped by the pay cheque unfortunately. Obviously its possible and there are exceptions to that. All depends on what you're earning and what you're happy to earn for the next few years

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.