UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, moving into Uni next month - Durham :D

Anyway, I want to continue my progress of muscle gain without too much fat. However uni does involve a LOT of drinking, especially in the first term, and this could harm my gains if I don't take it into account.

I'll try keep my diet to 500 surplus for my gains and such, and hope the alcohol will be countered by the time I can and will spend in the gym, along with sports like rowing and basketball.

So are there any tips from people who are in uni or who have been through it to help keep me on track?

Thanks a lot :)
 

·
Unless you're a bodybuilder you only rent food
Joined
·
5,555 Posts
filberto said:
Hey all, moving into Uni next month - Durham :D

Anyway, I want to continue my progress of muscle gain without too much fat. However uni does involve a LOT of drinking, especially in the first term, and this could harm my gains if I don't take it into account.

I'll try keep my diet to 500 surplus for my gains and such, and hope the alcohol will be countered by the time I can and will spend in the gym, along with sports like rowing and basketball.

So are there any tips from people who are in uni or who have been through it to help keep me on track?

Thanks a lot :)
1 hour 4 days a week at a real hardcore Durham gym away from your studies should be easy and the contrast and exercise will do you a power of good.
 

·
Mr Universe
Joined
·
6,244 Posts
carry on training

enjoy uni

drink

have fun

eat as best you can

dont ruin one of the best times of your life by being boring.....there is plenty of time to do that when your much older

oh....join a sports team there as well....cos one day you will be too old to run without tearing a hammy :(
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
904 Posts
Let's be realistic.

Your first and second years at Uni will be awesome, they will be full of drinking and pizza and if they're not, you won't make as many friends.

Fact is, you have a choice, between going to bed on time every night, eating clean and hitting the gym, or going out, meeting new people, getting to bed late, getting up late (and thus skipping breakfast and pushing all of your subsequent meals out of time) and taking part in ordering food with everyone else.

There isn't really a good half way house at University, but grab the social aspect by it's balls because there will be plenty of time for muscle building in your third year when you've got a group of friends already and you've settled down a bit.

Just enjoy it mate, relax, go to the gym, eat clean when you can but don't turn down nights out or offers of going out for food or ordering take-away, especially not in the first two-three months!

Freshers will most likely be one of the best years of your life, I'm going in to my third year and I wish I could do it all again, so good luck mate.
 

·
Newbie Trainer
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the various replies :) yeah there is no question - I will drink way too much, but I'm intending on joining loads of teams (even though I'm poor at most things, but figure it'll be fun anyway to play non competitively).

I'm fairly sure I will be able to get an hour in the gym 5/6 days a week, as there is a fair bit of free time and is a welcome break from studying :)

Only problem is when I come to cut I am basically screwed as there is no chance of me eating lo carb due to all the drink knocking about!
 

·
EFBB Winner
Joined
·
3,222 Posts
i would pretty much accept that you will not train or eat properly for at least the first term.

i only started training at uni, and i just couldnt have done it until around january of the first year when things settle down a bit
 

·
Mmm Kebab.
Joined
·
2,629 Posts
synthasize said:
i would pretty much accept that you will not train or eat properly for at least the first term.

i only started training at uni, and i just couldnt have done it until around january of the first year when things settle down a bit
I'm going into my second year at the end of this month, and last year at Uni I made decent gains whilst drinking too much, partying too hard and not sleeping nearly enough.

The first year is all about having fun and making friends, but let's be honest an hour in the gym 3 or 4 times a week isn't going to make much difference to that.. I managed it with ease.

Another tip would be.. If there's an offer on at the supermarket for meat.. Buy loads and stick it in the freezer... I used to buy 2 months worth of chicken at a time :D

oh and you can get 4kg of rice for about £5 in tescos which will last you atleast a term, I basically lived off chicken and rice with some oyster sauce and soy sauce mmmmm.

The main thing is though.. Have fun!!

Oh and try to lean gain.. You don't want to be the fat kid.
 

·
Fatty Bum-Bum
Joined
·
1,075 Posts
If there is any supermarkets near-by try going in when they reduce items with that days date.

You can pick up steak & chicken etc for under a quid,

even better if you get a part time job in one... :)
 

·
Getting HUGE!
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Mr_Socko said:
Let's be realistic.

Your first and second years at Uni will be awesome, they will be full of drinking and pizza and if they're not, you won't make as many friends.

Fact is, you have a choice, between going to bed on time every night, eating clean and hitting the gym, or going out, meeting new people, getting to bed late, getting up late (and thus skipping breakfast and pushing all of your subsequent meals out of time) and taking part in ordering food with everyone else.

There isn't really a good half way house at University, but grab the social aspect by it's balls because there will be plenty of time for muscle building in your third year when you've got a group of friends already and you've settled down a bit.

Just enjoy it mate, relax, go to the gym, eat clean when you can but don't turn down nights out or offers of going out for food or ordering take-away, especially not in the first two-three months!

Freshers will most likely be one of the best years of your life, I'm going in to my third year and I wish I could do it all again, so good luck mate.
Excellent post, sums up what I was going to say perfectly!
 

·
Getting HUGE!
Joined
·
1,122 Posts
filberto said:
Hey all, moving into Uni next month - Durham :D

Anyway, I want to continue my progress of muscle gain without too much fat. However uni does involve a LOT of drinking, especially in the first term, and this could harm my gains if I don't take it into account.

I'll try keep my diet to 500 surplus for my gains and such, and hope the alcohol will be countered by the time I can and will spend in the gym, along with sports like rowing and basketball.

So are there any tips from people who are in uni or who have been through it to help keep me on track?

Thanks a lot :)
you are aware that this is only an optional part of uni :D
 

·
EFBB Winner
Joined
·
4,620 Posts
I changed uni just before the end of my first year so ended up having two first years. By the second one I was just gagging to get back into training lol! It shouldn't be that difficult tbh to keep up training and if you don't wanna drink, don't - peer pressure's a bitch though lol!

Pi55es me off now cos none of my mates train or do anything remotely active. Probs 1 out of 1000 people at uni will be into staying in shape, so unless you're going to loughborough prepare to be alienated lol!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top