UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Think you're BIG?

3K views 87 replies 32 participants last post by  Beklet 
#1 ·
Make you realise just how small we really are..

mwuzwh.jpg

See less See more
#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Captain Hero said:
how many of those do you reckon have some kind of life on them.........?
Well, that's a different kettle of fish lol.

There's about 200 Billion stars our Galaxy, The Milky Way. We estimate there's around 200Billion Galaxies in the Universe with each of them consisting of approx 200 Billions Stars.

There's 9 planets that orbit our little star, The Sun. Even if every other star in the Universe only had 1 planet in it's Solar System, that's still a HELL of allot of planets.

IMO, it would be very ignorant and naive to expect life to form only on this little spec of a rock we call the Earth..

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ur anus is quite big.

Oops accidently hit the spacebar when I wrote the word Uranus, honest mistake that everyone could and will make. Honest. :innocent:

But in all seriousness yes we are pretty small in comparison to the majority of planets in space! does make me wonder.. space and such is a very interesting subject for me, I think its fair to say it fascinates me.

Sylar said:
IMO, it would be very ignorant and naive to expect life to form only on this little spec of a rock we call the Earth..
Totally agree!

#8 ·
Sylar said:
Well, that's a different kettle of fish lol.

There's about 200 Billion stars our Galaxy, The Milky Way. We estimate there's around 200Billion Galaxies in the Universe with each of them consisting of approx 200 Billions Stars.

There's 9 planets that orbit our little star, The Sun. Even if every other star in the Universe only had 1 planet in it's Solar System, that's still a HELL of allot of planets.

I agree

#10 ·
being serious...thats fecking amazing...my gosh...its un-imaginable to put into context...very fascinating...draws me right in,love mysterious unknowns like space and its contents...will have to tune in to patrick moores sky at night to catch up!!!!

nice find,nice change...the title drew me in too...have a rep!

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
hehe I know ant, I know, it was a terrible joke but someone had to do it.

Patrick Moore, now he is a legend! 85 years old, the chap might clock out soon and when he does it will be a very sad day indeed.

Anyway, black holes interest me quite a bit too, I did manage to read a bit of Stephen Hawkings work, funny guy actually! turns out he has a sense of humor aswell as being very intelligent.

for some reason im in the mood where I will pronounce words using bold or italic. 'Cos Im random like that.

hehe.

EDIT: just noticed Colt24's link....... F**********************************CK!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
colt24 said:
I wasn't going to mention VY Canis Majoris because i couldn't find a size comparison chart that compares it against the rest of the stars listed in my first post, but here's the info i was going to post on it:

VY Canis Majoris DWARFS the largest lower right Hypergiant Star listed in the size comparison chart, VV Cephei.

VY Canis Majoris is a red hypergiant star located in the constellation Canis Major. It is the largest known star and also one of the most luminous known. It is located about 1.5 kilopars.ecs (or 5,000 light-years) from Earth.

2qb4v2t.jpg

University of Minnesota professor Roberta M. Humphreys, estimates the radius of VY CMa at 1800 to 2100 solar radii. (In astronomy, the Solar Radius is a unit of length used to express the size of Stars and larger objects such as Galaxies. The Solar Radius of "1" would approximately equal 432450 miles (695500 kilometers) or about 110 times the radius of the Earth)

To illustrate, if our Sun was replaced with VY Canis Majoris, its surface would extend to the orbit of Saturn. Assuming the upper size limit of 2100 solar radii, light would take more than 8 hours to travel around the star's circumference.

Dr. Humphreys recently estimated that the largest possible star is approximately 2,600 times the radius of The (Our) Sun.

If a human could walk on the surface of Canis Majoris - (Assuming a speed of 5 km/h (3 mph) for 8 hours a day - The person would have to walk for..

650,000 Years to circle the Star!!

Compared with..

310 Years 7 Months to complete the same task on our Star, The Sun!

And..

2 Years 11 Months on Earth!

#18 ·
Sylar said:
I wasn't going to mention VY Canis Majoris because i couldn't find a size comparison chart that compares it against the rest of the stars listed in my first post, but here's the info i was going to post on it:

VY Canis Majoris DWARFS the largest lower right Hypergiant Star listed in the size comparison chart, VV Cephei.

VY Canis Majoris is a red hypergiant star located in the constellation Canis Major. It is the largest known star and also one of the most luminous known. It is located about 1.5 kilopars.ecs (or 5,000 light-years) from Earth.

2qb4v2t.jpg

University of Minnesota professor Roberta M. Humphreys, estimates the radius of VY CMa at 1800 to 2100 solar radii. (In astronomy, the Solar Radius is a unit of length used to express the size of Stars and larger objects such as Galaxies. The Solar Radius of "1" would equal to approximately 110 times the radius of The Sun)

To illustrate, if our Sun was replaced with VY Canis Majoris, its surface would extend to the orbit of Saturn. Assuming the upper size limit of 2100 solar radii, light would take more than 8 hours to travel around the star's circumference.

Dr. Humphreys recently estimated that the largest possible star is approximately 2,600 times the radius of The (Our) Sun.

If a human could walk on the surface of Canis Majoris - (Assuming a speed of 5 km/h (3 mph) for 8 hours a day - The person would have to walk for..

650,000 Years to circle the Star!!

Compared with..

310 Years 7 Months to complete the same task on our Star, The Sun!

And..

2 Years 11 Months on Earth!
oh my

#19 ·
Nice Sylar!

I just had a look on wikipedia for VY Canis Majoris... very interesting..

I am wondering how long a day would be on it, if it were a planet and not a star that is. Although other factors like the position of its star would make a difference to the figure.

#23 ·
anabolic ant said:
man i just love the knowledge outside of bodybuilding on this site....brilliant chaps,i'm learning all the time!!!!
Yes! I also did notice that the general conversation section has the most threads and posts out of all sections of this site! it's a good thing though, I mean there is still plenty of threads in the other sections.

pea head said:
sylar,you missed out niburu.

u know its coming in 2012 because you tube says so :)
:lol: :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.