Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... let me get this straight:

• British Gas made a profit of £1.3bn between January & June
  • BP announced profits of £6.95 billion between April and June alone
  • Shell has profited by £9.4bn in a year

The MEN at the top:
  • John Pettigrew, boss of National Grid received £6.5m bonus on top of his salary
  • Chris O’Shea, chief executive of British Gas owner Centrica was paid almost £2m last year in salary and benefits
  • Centrica's non-executive directors were paid almost £1m
  • Scottish Power's CEO Keith Anderson is on £1.15m.
  • E.On boss Michael Lewis is on £1m
  • EDF's Simone Rossi is also on £1m
  • And their top execs enjoyed a share of £4.65m
  • Peter Simpson of Anglian Water earned a £1.3m pay package
  • Welsh Water bosses awarded themselves bonuses of over £930,000
  • Severn Trent bosses awarded themselves bonuses of £5.56m

* Thames Water's Sarah Bentley, received a £727,000 bonus on top of her £2m annual salary

Meanwhile there are...

• People who haven't had breakfast and/or lunch TODAY, because they can't afford it.
  • People using FoodBanks because food is becoming more of a luxury than a necessity.
  • Children celebrating a birthday without presents.
  • Parents worrying about new school uniforms - and some schools enforcing rules which are not cost-effective.
  • People who can't get to work because they can't afford to put petrol in their cars/pay for public transport anymore.
  • People who are working so much they're making themselves ill, and they STILL CAN'T AFFORD to pay their bills.
  • People who have been given fines by these same energy/water companies because they couldn't afford to pay their bills in the first place - increasing their debt.
  • Customers being told to do STAR JUMPS TO KEEP WARM for crying out loud!
  • Hose pipe bans when gallons of water leak away everyday.
  • Elderly people NOT DRINKING because they're worried about running out of water!!!

All this and energy prices are set to rise up to 75% in October...

THIS IS MADNESS!.. I'm all for supporting profits ..I'm not for supporting greed at the cost of lives of others..

Something needs to change..

Why are customers' money being used to make life more comfortable for those who are making life more intolerable for the rest of

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,299 Posts
I’ll tell you what’s madness those who you say haven’t had breakfast lunch or dinner won’t go out and work. There is a plethora of jobs out there. Why won’t people work. Why won’t those who work work harder and more. There is no reason to be starving.
I’m not saying I agree with the increases given the profits I made but those not working who are doing with our f them

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
There’s going to be serious social unrest soon and I am absolutely all for it and will actively join in.

I earn comfortably above average wage and so does my mrs and every single day I’m thankful for that. But there are millions who are working their knackers off and getting nowhere and repeatedly having the piss taken out of them.

Work hard and you’ll see the rewards is what a succession of governments tell us and it’s a complete fallacy. Work hard and let others reap the benefits of it is what is really happening.

Im not on any social media but if I caught wind of an orchestrated protest of us all driving to the petrol forecourts and just filling up and fcuking off for 24 hours on a certain day I’d absolutely join in.

Direct action is the only thing these fcuckers will respond to. If we carry on meekly submitting to it they’ll carry on taking the piss!

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
I’ll tell you what’s madness those who you say haven’t had breakfast lunch or dinner won’t go out and work. There is a plethora of jobs out there. Why won’t people work. Why won’t those who work work harder and more. There is no reason to be starving.
I’m not saying I agree with the increases given the profits I made but those not working who are doing with our f them
If you were worse off going to work would you bother? That’s the reality for a lot of people. Until it becomes beneficial to be in work you can’t expect anybody to make life harder for themselves to just go to work because you feel it’s a moral duty or for self esteem. Self esteem pays for fcuk all.

·
Premium Member
7,084 Posts

The MEN at the top:
  • John Pettigrew, boss of National Grid received £6.5m bonus on top of his salary
  • Chris O’Shea, chief executive of British Gas owner Centrica was paid almost £2m last year in salary and benefits

* Thames Water's Sarah Bentley, received a £727,000 bonus on top of her £2m annual salary

Meanwhile there are...

• People who haven't had breakfast and/or lunch TODAY, because they can't afford it.
  • People using FoodBanks because food is becoming more of a luxury than a necessity.
  • Parents worrying about new school uniforms - and some schools enforcing rules which are not cost-effective.
  • People who can't get to work because they can't afford to put petrol in their cars/pay for public transport anymore.
  • People who are working so much they're making themselves ill, and they STILL CAN'T AFFORD to pay their bills.
  • People who have been given fines by these same energy/water companies because they couldn't afford to pay their bills in the first place - increasing their debt.
  • Elderly people NOT DRINKING because they're worried about running out of water!!!

THIS IS MADNESS!.. I'm all for supporting profits ..I'm not for supporting greed at the cost of lives of others..

Why are customers' money being used to make life more comfortable for those who are making life more intolerable for the rest of
And what exactly are you gonna do about it mate? We’re all ears.

Please accept my apologies if you did actually mention what you are going to do about. I got bored after reading the first two words and started watching a few episodes of Antiques Roadshow on YouTube.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
You’re missing the point, people are working full time and still struggling because of the current situation

What do you suggest they do? Get a night job? Who looks after the kids?

And why should anyone have to do that due to the greed of these big energy companies. You need to wake up lad. You’ve been a good little brainwashed citizen for too long

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
You’re missing the point, people are working full time and still struggling because of the current situation

And why should anyone have to do that due to the greed of these big energy companies. You need to wake up lad. You’ve been a good little brainwashed citizen for too long
Ive seen a few documentaries based on cost of living crisis and food banks and it seems common your regular user is parent(s) with 5+ kids.

If you can't financially plan to support children, BEFORE you have children, dont ****ing have them. Pisses me off to no end that.

Problem is people are ****ing stupid with money too.

·
Premium Member
8,299 Posts
If you were worse off going to work would you bother? That’s the reality for a lot of people. Until it becomes beneficial to be in work you can’t expect anybody to make life harder for themselves to just go to work because you feel it’s a moral duty or for self esteem. Self esteem pays for fcuk all.
No you’re not understanding what I’m saying. If those are playing the system well enough to have more than someone working then they can afford breakfast lunch and dinner. So hats off to them.
Those who can’t afford to eat. Get out and work.

·
Premium Member
8,299 Posts

I wouldn’t call myself a good citizen. But hey thanks for that. I’m talking about wet wipes like the orhinal poster who sit and smoke weed, read conspiracy articles and repost drivel then complain they have to choose to heat or eat due to the cost of living. Yes I don’t like the profits they are making and prices going up but reposting a meme isn’t going to help. Working to be able to afford my house, car, bikes, holidays, food and heat helps me and my family.

·
Premium Member
8,299 Posts
Ive seen a few documentaries based on cost of living crisis and food banks and it seems common your regular user is parent(s) with 5+ kids.

If you can't financially plan to support children, BEFORE you have children, dont ****ing have them. Pisses me off to no end that.

Problem is people are ****ing stupid with money too.
100% and no doubt these parents spunk money on vapes and or cigs and tins of coke and red bull but what the gov to feed their army of sprogs

·
Non Nissan Note Driver
4,565 Posts

The MEN at the top:

Meanwhile there are...

This is a nice copy paste. Seen it already. Except when you say men at the top. You’ve also quoted women in there.
Typical wylde mong post not reading stuff 😂

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
mskes sense. Old houses and deteriorating pipe work
It's more the aging water infrastructure - theres sections of the Portsmouth water network within old Portsmouth that still have wooden mains that were laid circa 150 years ago although these sections have been "lined" in the last decade to prevent leakage.

I think there is a significant issue with the secondary utility markets in that they do somewhat take advantage of customers - however I all the while there is a huge challenge around supplying enough energy to fulfil demands I don't think govt will take any action that may deinsentivise the primary & transportation markets.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
mskes sense. Old houses and deteriorating pipe work
More the pipes in the road ect than Olympic swimming pools leaking into peoples old houses.

Doesn't make sense too me. There's obviously a problem that needs sorting out. That stops with the boss's. Looks like big boss after big boss have failed too address it. Took the big bonuses & big wages, (which would be totally justified if they were shit hot) and then tell the customer to use less water.

·
Non Nissan Note Driver
4,565 Posts
More the pipes in the road ect than Olympic swimming pools leaking into peoples old houses.

Doesn't make sense too me. There's obviously a problem that needs sorting out. That stops with the boss's. Looks like big boss after big boss have failed too address it. Took the big bonuses & big wages, (which would be totally justified if they were shit hot) and then tell the customer to use less water.
not really. Can’t dig up all the old roads in London at once and fix it. They’re probably really good at their job but you can’t just magic new pipe work under all major cities.

·
Non Nissan Note Driver
4,565 Posts
It's more the aging water infrastructure - theres sections of the Portsmouth water network within old Portsmouth that still have wooden mains that were laid circa 150 years ago although these sections have been "lined" in the last decade to prevent leakage.

I think there is a significant issue with the secondary utility markets in that they do somewhat take advantage of customers - however I all the while there is a huge challenge around supplying enough energy to fulfil demands I don't think govt will take any action that may deinsentivise the primary & transportation markets.
that’s what I meant. The utility network being old and how hard it is to replace etc and to what expense.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts