UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Patch is no Match
7,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain to me about the Gurkha's. All I know is they have fought with us british for about 200 years or ,I heard they are part of the british indian army..what I dont get why aren't they allowed residency? I though all indians were? Just wouldn't mind being filled in on the whloe business!

·
Gym Addict
265 Posts
Lots of things about the regiments history here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha

In July 2006, British authorities granted the right to full British citizenship to all Nepalese and their dependants serving the British army during its stays in Britain's former colonial territories, among them Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong, which entitles them to stay and work in the United Kingdom.

·
EFBB Winner
3,147 Posts
wombat68 said:
Lots of things about the regiments history here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha

In July 2006, British authorities granted the right to full British citizenship to all Nepalese and their dependants serving the British army during its stays in Britain's former colonial territories, among them Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong, which entitles them to stay and work in the United Kingdom.
I believe that is just for those who started serving past a certain date and not all of them, which has caused a fuss.

·
Gym Addict
265 Posts
From the same page i linked to

In a landmark ruling on 30 September 2008 the High Court in London decided that Gurkhas who left the Army before 1997 did have an automatic right of residency in the United Kingdom. Before this ruling only Ghurkas who left the British Army after 1997 were granted automatic residency benefits. In line with the ruling of the High Court the Home Office is to review all cases affected by this decision.

Probably to do with that same case on your link

·
EFBB Winner
3,147 Posts
We got the Gurkha's in the late 40's from India's Army in an agreement between us India and Nepal, we first came across them in the 1800's when we suffered heavy casualties when we invaded Nepal and that area of the world, thus giving us respect for them.

A common mistake that people make is that they think we treat them unfairly with pay, pensions (6 times smaller) and residency etc, as they do the same job as us (sort of) but that isn't actually our fault. In the agreement between UK, India and Nepal they made certain conditions that we had to stick to, obviously they didn't want to lose all of their young men to the British Army because our wages and lifestyle is so good in comparison, so it had to be capped for their sake. And with the pension being 6 times smaller that is still a huge amount of money for them to retire on back in Nepal, as an example i have a friend who is married to a girl from Nepal and when he reitires in a couple of years he is going to live in Nepal and never work again and live like a king on just his pension.

·
EFBB Winner
3,147 Posts
To be fair i think they have always had a brilliant deal, as an example if we had the situation that a foreign Army was offering UK citizens a chance to join their Army and receive a wage that was 100 times what you could ever earn in the UK a pension that was secure and 1000 times better than anything in our country and have a lifestyle that was uncomparable and have that job for up to 30 years do you think that we would complain? Serving in our Army sets up there whole family for life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts