UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
EFBB Winner
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone read this book? Im sure i saw a thread ages ago about it, but cant seem to find it.

I've just finished it and loved every bit. For those that have read it, what did you think? Has it changed any of your views/opinions? or for others has it just reinforced what you have always thought?

·
sponsored by Greggs
7,838 Posts
Definite reinforcement for me.

I never knew there was an Atheist forum(s) or groups etc. I knew about Humanism, but not about Professor Dawkins Foundation.

Probably his best work. I've got a few more of his books but haven't tried The Greatest Show on Earth yet. It's an audio book also.

Good stuff, great man.

If you like his style youtube; Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens and also - The Four Horsemen*.

·
EFBB Winner
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Witch-King said:
Definite reinforcement for me.

I never knew there was an Atheist forum(s) or groups etc. I knew about Humanism, but not about Professor Dawkins Foundation.

Probably his best work. I've got a few more of his books but haven't tried The Greatest Show on Earth yet. It's an audio book also.

Good stuff, great man.

If you like his style youtube; Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens and also - The Four Horsemen.
I was on the forum on his site today actually. Some interesting stuff on there!

The book also reinforced some of my beliefs but what I liked most was the way he did it. I've never seen so many arguments that we take for granted ripped apart so conclusively!

I have 'the greatest show on earth' ready :) I want to read his first book 'the selfish gene'....where he introduces the idea of 'memes', he only briefly mentions it in 'the God delusion'.

·
Banned
3,150 Posts
robisco11 said:
Has anyone read this book? Im sure i saw a thread ages ago about it, but cant seem to find it.

I've just finished it and loved every bit. For those that have read it, what did you think? Has it changed any of your views/opinions? or for others has it just reinforced what you have always thought?
I'm an atheist and have only read extracts from the book, but agree with the jist of what Richard Dawkins is saying. Touchy subject though man, that's why I don't get involved with religious debates on here. Not worth falling out with decent people over.

For example, he is sympathetic to Robert Pirsig's observation in Lila that 'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity' - But, 'When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion'

^ I agree, but again, that's why I don't get involved with those debates on this board. No doubt many people will be offended by that, but, I could also claim to be equally offended if they don't agree with my view point - But I'm not, each to their own at the end of the day.

·
EFBB Winner
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sylar said:
I'm an atheist and have only read extracts from the book, but agree with the jist of what Richard Dawkins is saying. Touchy subject though man, that's why I don't get involved with religious debates on here. Not worth falling out with decent people over.

For example, he is sympathetic to Robert Pirsig's observation in Lila that 'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity' - But, 'When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion'

^ I agree, but again, that's why I don't get involved with those debates on this board. No doubt many people will be offended by that, but, I could also claim to be equally offended if they don't agree with my view point - But I'm not, each to their own at the end of the day.
I see exactly where your coming from, im not going to offend on here (hopefully), just looking at what effect the read had on people. I found the chapter on where we get our morals from brilliant, the most convincing part of the book imo.

·
Gym Addict
387 Posts
Yeah I read most of it. I'm atheist too. He has a new book out about the proof for evolution. It doesn't attack religious people though. He says you can still be religious and believe in evolution or something. This might go down better in America.

·
Gym Addict
387 Posts
robisco11 said:
that will be interesting......be religious AND believe in evolution! As for America..the top guys still wont accept him lol
I don't think he says that in the book. I saw him interviewed about it and he said, unlike the last book, a religious person who agrees with evolution could still like the book because the book is not about religion.

I'll have to get it some time it is supposed to contain some really good arguments about evolution that you don't often hear.

·
EFBB Winner
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dwaine Chambers said:
I don't think he says that in the book. I saw him interviewed about it and he said, unlike the last book, a religious person who agrees with evolution could still like the book because the book is not about religion.

I'll have to get it some time it is supposed to contain some really good arguments about evolution that you don't often hear.
ahh Ok im with you now :) Sounds interestng!

·
Banned
3,150 Posts
robisco11 said:
I see exactly where your coming from, im not going to offend on here (hopefully), just looking at what effect the read had on people. I found the chapter on where we get our morals from brilliant, the most convincing part of the book imo.
I'm more of a science man myself. Scientists best current approximation of the age of the Universe is approx 13-14.7 Billion years old, we know our moon is approx 4.3 Billion years old from from analysis on moon rock, so gives a rough age of our Solar system.

Our Galaxy, the Milky Way contains approx 200 Billion Stars, and there's approx 50 Billion other Galaxies, with similar amounts of Stars. There's 9 planets orbiting our little star, the Sun - Even if there is only one planet orbiting distance Stars, that's still a mind blowing amount of planets in the Universe.

If anyone on Earth can confidently say that this speck of rock, flying through space is the only place life can form, they are being naive IMO.

·
Gym Addict
387 Posts
Sylar said:
I'm more of a science man myself. Scientists best current approximation of the age of the Universe is approx 13-14.7 Billion years old, we know our moon is approx 4.3 Billion years old from from analysis on moon rock, so gives a rough age of our Solar system.

Our Galaxy, the Milky Way contains approx 200 Billion Stars, and there's approx 50 Billion other Galaxies, with similar amounts of Stars. There's 9 planets orbiting our little star, the Sun - Even if there is only one planet orbiting distance Stars, that's still a mind blowing amount of planets in the Universe.

If anyone on Earth can confidently say that this speck of rock, flying through space is the only place life can form, they are being naive IMO.
Yeah, exactly. And god would have to be pretty incompetent to build a world with eathquakes and all the rest of it.

·
Gym Addict
420 Posts
im just reading this book! think its a good read, not like some of the dribble about. like you say he supports his arguments well. fundamentally im a christian, not a right good one but i believe in god. wasnt brought up a christian and dont go to church...i dont believe in religion but do believe in god. to me religion is just another way to seperate ourselves from one another. the thing thats sticking a bit with me is that he seems to think that ultimatly if god is to great to explain then this by veto means he dosnt exist...what sticks with me is whys god got to be explained.

(lol and just so as you know i think we were monkeys)

·
sponsored by Greggs
7,838 Posts
robisco11 said:
that will be interesting......be religious AND believe in evolution! As for America..the top guys still wont accept him lol
Many priests do somehow manage to balance both, some are very respected academics. Rowan Williams speaks out against Creationism in school education, for example.

Trouble is the evidence for evolution is irrefutable, deny it at your peril!

·
EFBB Winner
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sylar said:

I agree, this is part in the book i felt he could have said more about tbh. He said that the idea of God, in correlation to the above you have mentioned, is scientifically NOT impossible to prove decisively at some point in time. Its the old boeing 747 argument that he uses, that what makes exactly what you say all the more believable.

·
Gym Addict
420 Posts
im just reading this book! think its a good read, not like some of the dribble about. like you say he supports his arguments well. fundamentally im a christian, not a right good one but i believe in god. wasnt brought up a christian and dont go to church...i dont believe in religion but do believe in god. to me religion is just another way to seperate ourselves from one another. the thing thats sticking a bit with me is that he seems to think that ultimatly if god is to great to explain then this by veto means he dosnt exist...what sticks with me is whys god got to be explained.

and at the begining chapters of the book he says he believes in god as nature...so to me he believes in god lol

1 - 20 of 178 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.