UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

When squatting in the gym i cant get down to the bottom which was because of some flexibility issues i assumed.

However i was helping the misses at the weekend while she was sorting her horse out and this involved me standing around in a field for a few minutes.

I was bored so i started just squatting to stretch and i found that when facing down the hill (toes lower than heel) i can squat all the way down to the bottom but when going the other way i struggle without falling over or holding something just like when the ground is flat.

What's the reason for this? i would love to be able to squat properly on flat ground, i assume its still a flexibility issue but which part?

Any help is appreciated

·
Physiotherapist. Deadlift junkie.
2,586 Posts
Most likely flexibility issues in your calves and/or hamstrings.

Pointing your feet down hill reduces the amount of dorsiflexion in your ankle (when the angle between the top of your foot and shin bone decreases) needed.

Generally speaking you need good hamstring flexibility to complete a full squat too, depending on your stance width.

·
4,145 Posts
Sounds like you have tight hamstrings . Try squatting with your heels higher on a block. Then do exercises to the help lengthen your ham string muscles, stretching can do this, sldl is a good exercise to do this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.