UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
She-rah princess of power
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I found out a good freind has a unique way of eating & I'm kind of worried about how healthy it is.

I saw her last week after not seeing her for just over 3 weeks and commented that she was looking good and leaner - she'd put on a bit of weight this year after an injury and not being able to train and had been a bit stressed about it.

Anyhow for nearly 3 weeks this is what she eats/drinks probally 80/90% of the time - apart from the occasional tinned fish or omelette & salad if she has to eat out.

Protein shakes made with 25g MP whey isolate, 25g MP total protein, big spoon of spirulina or barleygrass powder, multi vit powder, glutamine powder, pysillium husks for breakfast and the same before bed - but wait it gets worse!!

I asked if she missed eating when following this liquid food diet for days on end - she then takes a big cerial bowl, in goes a scoop of whey isolate, a scoop of MP total protein, a spoon of both barleygrass & spirulina powder, a big tablespoon of glutamine powder, a tablespoon of pysillium husks to add texture & fibre, and 30ml of udo's oil or sometimes a little coconut oil - mix it into a paste and eat :lol: I must say it tastes better than it sounds. kind of like a chocolately paste! She drinks a whole lot of water before & after eating this.

She has this 2 or 3 times a day as a meal as well as the drinkable version am & pm.

She also takes various suppliments inc vit C, Krill, green tea, CLA, alcar, magnesium, Rhodeola rosea & insists that the vits & minerals in the barleygrass & spirulina combined with the protein & large amounts of EFAs in the udo's oil & Krill + the glutamine to make up for the very low carbohydrates makes the perfect combo & so much easier than cooking loads of proper food!

She says she won't be doing it forever but for the moment its working well and she feels good on it so why not. She drinks 3 or 4 litres of water a day and has also started another an ECA stack 20/200/75 once of twice a day after a 4 month break.

I dunno what to think - its just kind of bizare I guess and I'm a little worried as it seems alot of oil & protein not to mention the pysillium!! I don't train with her anymore as she uses a different gym now she's moved but she always trained fairly hard 5 or 6 days a week with weights and still does as far as I can tell - she really does look well though :confused1:

Would really welcome some thoughts on this as maybe I'm worrying too much?

Cheers guys & I'm sorry for such a long post!

·
Phase 2: Hypertrophy Onslaught
82 Posts
Strange diet, wonder if she is a genius who has found a new silver bullet? My guess is not :(

What will happen is short term weight loss (only she knows if the weight is muscle or fat) however when she starts to eat proper foods again, the body will almost certainly rapidly store the food as fat (defence mechanism against times of nutrient starvation). The endocrine system will probably have slowed down and will take some time to ramp back up (again making solid food worse)

We rely on the TEF (Thermic effect of food and approx 10% burnt off the total calorie intake), I would be surprised is the current consumption is more than a single point...

You could recommend a slight weaning back on to food, depends how much things have slowed down...

·
Everybody wants to be GOOD, but not many are prepa
1,345 Posts
Sounds a little dangerous to me.....your body needs REAL food to be able to digest. It is seemingly nutritionally inadequate...NO VEG!!

Also this is not going to do her metabolism much good...if not completely knacker it. :confused1:

Lou

·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah - kind off what I've been thinking. Tho I did see her again today and she ate 2 chese omettes & a plate of salad in Morrisons cafe with no obvious problems. I think maybe she just hates washing up ha ha ha :)

I know a guy who ate nothing but turkey mince & green beans/cucumber for 10 weeks whilst he was cutting - dunno whats worse?

I only dream about having that much will power!

:)

·
Retired
39,602 Posts
Well, actually it looks like a good diet for those that are lazy.

Let me explain.

The spirilina (which is very green), and the barley grass powder will give her many minerals, which she is taking alot of supplements to make sure her nutritional profile is complete, and actually it is very close due to the Omega 3's. 6's, and 9's in the Udo's.

The large amount of water fill flush the bodies toxins, as well as take energy to move from the mouth to the toilet. This forces the body to not store water.

The psyllium during her meal will slow digestion, keep blood sugars more stable, lower cholesterol, as well as keep the colon clean.

Psyllium expands 50 to 60 times in the intestines, it is one of the best cleansers there is period for the colon.

Add that to a meal and the glycemic load of that meal will be way lower.

What will lowering the glycemic load do?

This will lower overall blood sugar spikes, which in turn will lower insulin spikes, which in turn will store less fat, and keep stable blood sugar levels leaving the person more stable and not crave as much food, specifically carbohydrates.

She will lose alot of water, she will lose alot of fat too. With the strong influence of her fat intake it will actually force the body to switch from sugar burning to fat burning.

This will work for about 6 weeks depending.

Then she will or should stall.

Thyroid will slow down some, but she will lose.

Have her add some kelp to keep the thyroid strong.........

Actually, I rather like it and I am impressed she has that diet.

It is not for everyone, but the person that designed that diet has some sound nutritional information and I would love to chat with them........

This is only what I see, I can put things into more detail apon request.

Not trying to go against the grain here.

·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I agree its a good range of nutrients & I also the Udo's oil is great stuff - I've been taking barleygrass/wheatgrass/spirulina every morning for 2 years for its alkalzing effects on the body as well as being a great source of vitamins & minerals but I just think consuming around 6 tablespoons of pysillium a day seems alot - isn't this likely to cause a blockage if it swells up to 6 times its size? also surly its alot of oil even if it is good stuff 3 x 30ml = 90ml a day! on top of all that protein powder??

Also I read that the pysilium husks should be taken at least 30 min away from any vitimins etc because the pyslium isn't actually digested - it just passes through absorbing toxins and adding bulk so therefore moves stuff through your system so fast your body doesn't get a chance to absorb as much nutrients - would this not mean that at least part of the protein powder,oil & other suppliments would not get digested and therefore wasted? Udo's oil is brilliant stuff but its like £18 for a 500ml bottle in the UK & MP spirulina is £52 a KG - my point is alot of the stuff is pretty expensive so if its not getting absorbed its a bit wastefull. Wouldn't it be better to mix the p.husks in water and take them at least an hour (to be sure) before or after the super potion? Granted it is the most disgusting stuff, i've had it and its like trying to drink wallpaper paste - yuk!

P.S kelp is in the stack & probally a few other things I've forgoton :)

Maybe I can stop worrying after all - its just weird watching your mate eat this strange paste

·
Retired
39,602 Posts
gymfit said:
I've been taking barleygrass/wheatgrass/spirulina every morning for 2 years for its alkalzing effects on the body
Sometimes there little pieces of information that stand out.

OK, here it is. Yes, those do have alkalizing effects on the body, and it has been said that the body thrives in an alkaline environment, also said to increase fat loss.

I have studied acid ashing and alkaline ashing for some time and although the information is solid, many will dispute that.

There is a way to test this using pH strips, with urine and saliva, but that is a whole nother topic.....lol

The reason why the oil is so high is because the carbohydrates are low, this forces the body to use fat from the body for fuel, once it goes into ketosis, this diet is very modified, and takes principles from many other diets.

I wonder where she got that from?

For instance:

35 grams of fiber burns an additional 250 calories.

That large amount of fiber should be ok with that much water but she probably should be drinking a bit more. Psyllium can be a problem if there is not enough water, then it can actually cause a blockage, and that is not good.

I can say one thing, by the time the diet is over, her colon will be really clean, and yes I do agree that amount of psyllium looks a bit much to me, but I would like to talk to someone who she got that diet from for clearity on that issue.

Only real problem would be not enough water for that much psyllium.

After all, 1tbs of psyllium in 8 oz of water will turn it into a block

So, between 101 oz of water and 129 oz, she would be better off with the gallon a day as about 48 oz of that will be used for the fiber, she should have 4 liter a day instead of 3.

Outside of that, I like the diet.

·
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello again - I'm really happy to have some more opinions on this as I feel a whole lot better knowing its actually quite a good range of nutrients. I still have some concerns about how much of the actuall nutrients/protein/oil gets digested & what percentage gets carried through without being absorbed due to the pysillium? It would be great if there was some kind of home test you could do to see how much of what you put in (eat/drink) actually gets properly digested/utalized & how much goes to waste!

I've read some very interesting stuff on digestion and how things like eating when stressed or engaging in other activities like watching TV etc can hugely affect the amount of nutrients out bodies assimilate from our food.

I've found out one of the reasons for eating the mix instead of just adding water & drinking is basicly down to feeling satisfied i.e no longer hungrey - I can relate to this as if I'm hungrey and I drink a protein shake the hunger will go for maybe 10 min but then it returns - but if I actually eat somthing, even if it has less cal/protein I feel better for a lot longer - I guess alot of it is physcological?? Also the chewing helps as it will release digestive enzymes also.

I've been trying to find more info on the pysillium but it seems different sites have different info - I always thought it was undigestable and passed through but the last couple of days I've seen sites that say that this is not always the case. My head is spinning with so many different thoughts.

I've been very interested in green/super/sprouted foods and the effects of alkalizing the body since I experemented taking superdoses of alkalizing spirulina & barleygrass after breaking a bone and it healed in 3 weeks instead of the 6/8 I was told it would be!

All interesting stuff :)

·
Retired
39,602 Posts
Comfry is called "The Bone Knitter" in herbal books.

I do agree that minerals can aid in healing as well as alkalizing the body, both are good ideas as minerals are essential and moreso than vitamins.

As for the psyllium, it may bind to some stuff, how much I dont really know, I heard Iron but not sure.

Due to the very green nature of the vegetables iron probably wont be a problem anyway.

Another cheap alkalizing product is chlorophyll, fantastic product and contains 72 trace minerals, also cuts down on all odors that come from the body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.