UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gym Addict
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just quick question

deadlifts.. if doing 5x5 or 3x8 reps do i need to put the bar back down onto the group and step back and start again for each rep?

squats.. my gyms havuing a refurb and hopefully will get a power cage but at the moment from what i see at the gym it only has a smith machine to do squats... ive read that they arnt that good if doing high number of reps but what about if im doing low reps with high weight?

·
UK-M's Kindergarten Cop!
2,275 Posts
paulburrows246 said:
hey guys just quick question

deadlifts.. if doing 5x5 or 3x8 reps do i need to put the bar back down onto the group and step back and start again for each rep?

squats.. my gyms havuing a refurb and hopefully will get a power cage but at the moment from what i see at the gym it only has a smith machine to do squats... ive read that they arnt that good if doing high number of reps but what about if im doing low reps with high weight?
1. Deadlifts should be performed from the ground and each rep off the ground. Hence the name. I start the weight from a rack so i can load the plates on easier but then every rep touches the floor. Look on you tube for examples

2. All depends on your smiths machine. Not ideal for squatting but every one varies. The one at my gym I dont use for normal squats but I do use for close grip deep squats with lighter weight.

Depending on what weight you use you must be able to free sqaut at your gym or even try dumbells

·
UK-M's Kindergarten Cop!
2,275 Posts
Uriel said:
I always loved squatting but I consider it a young lads exercise, I had to stop it in my mid 30's due to lower back issues.
I got through phases of squatting. Sometimes I will squat every week for 6 weeks straight. Atm Im alternating between squatting and pre-exhausting the quads with leg extensions and then onto the leg press. I get such a good pump from the latter.

·
Gym Addict
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
heh found out they had a power cage so used that for the first time on friday... fell over the first time rofl luckily i just had 50kg on.. then got my form right and i got up to 5x5 set with 120kg on me... considering last week on smith machine i was doing 100kg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.