UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Looking Freaky
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got good form with squats today after spending a while with one of the instructors using light weight & really focusing on how I'm lifting the weight.

I used to get bad pains but I had non today :thumbup1:

The only thing that was annoying me was my arms & neck.

My arms were hurting a bit due to the position that they were in, is there a certain place where they should be as I'm wondering if a wider or shorter grip on the bar would help, they were just put in a bit of a strange angle & were hurting whilst squatting.

Also, the bar killed my neck but I suppose thats something that I need to get used to :lol:

·
Newbie Trainer
94 Posts
I find tensing up my traps creates a cushion for the bar and my neck doesn't hurt that way however my shoulders kill when I'm trying to hold the bar with my hands it feels like im twisting my humerous slightly further than it is supposed to go :(

·
The League of Shadows
1,311 Posts
I find that if I hold the bar with thumbs around it, when the last few reps get harder, I pull the bar down onto my shoulders harder and it's a horribly counter-productive movement... so I switch to thumbs under with my hands just a little wider than shoulder width. Works for me.

G

·
Robbie said:
Arms really wide, with thumbs OVER the bar.

Get some chalk as well and chalk the bar up, stops it from slipping down your tshirt
If you narrow your grip you automatically pull your back tighter, lift your chest, provide a better 'shelf' for the bar reducing the risk of the bar impinging anything in your spine and create a neutral spine which is ideal for lifting. Providing your flexible enough to do so like. So have to disagree with the arms wide comment.

·
EFBB Winner
3,996 Posts
i think there are certain places on your neck where it feels like there is nothing on your neck no matter the weight bearing on it!!!!

and sometimes the knurling on the bar can graze the neck too!!!

but finding that place on your neck,will eliminate most pains...its that place where it just sits and you can perform with not a glitch!!!!

guess its all trial and error...you keep going forth bro...i reckon your on your way mate....keep progressing!!!!

·
Looking Freaky
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks alot for all the advice, I'm going down to train soon so I will have a play about with some light weights & see what feels best & use what feels best on Sunday when I train legs.

James

·
Looking Freaky
598 Posts
Did squats today & was a great workout, no pain in my hamstring, 1st time I have ever done squats without getting it, got a PB of 60kg for 10 reps, know I can go higher as I found them quite easy.

Used a wider grip which eliminated arm pains, & my neck felt less pain the more weight I used, think it was as I was really concentrating on form, also the burning in my legs :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.