UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
3,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my gf has been squating just fine and plenty low but when she goes slightly heavier, her leg bends inwards, as if her knee starts pointing inwards instead of out. any suggestions ?? she says its her hip she feels it in though!

·
Retired
6,805 Posts
Point toes slightly outwards, take a wider stance if necessary, sit back rather than down, and focus on driving with the hips and pushing the knees outwards.

A long time ago I had a similar issue myself, and fixed it by using the abductor/adductor machine and doing squats with light jump-fit bands wrapped around my knees, so I was forced to push my knees outwards.

·
Gym Addict
281 Posts
How to Keep Your Knees Out. Don't lose your time strengthening your adductors with special exercises. Squats will fix the problem.

Push Your Knees Out. Actively push your knees to the side on each rep you Squat. Focus, tighten all muscles & exaggerate pushing your knees out. Your adductors will get stronger.

Lower The Weight. Easier to learn technique with light weights. Lower the weight. Relearn how to Squat. Increase the weight each workout.

Use a Resistance Band. Do body-weight Squats with a mini Flex Band double wrapped right below your knees. The resistance band will force you to push your knees out. 3 sets of 10 as warmup/on recovery days.

Resistance bands works well if you lack muscle control / focus to push your knees out while Squatting. If you don't have that problem, actively push your knees out every time you Squat. Your knees will stop buckling in.

Hope this helps

From

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-keep-your-knees-out-on-squats/

·
Getting HUGE!
2,554 Posts
More likely to be a technique issue as Big has pointed out OR weakness in glutes and/or hamstrings.

Practise pushing knees out throughout the squat. Alot. That should fix her.

Or send her to me for an hours coaching.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.