UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner

Squat 3 x A Week - Overtraining or Not?

7K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  craftybutcher 
#1 ·
To give myself a change of scenery I'm looking at switching to one of the strength routines, something like Rippetoe's starting strength.

I'm in my forties and wondering if anyone of a similar age has tried the squating three times a week. Does it just lead to overtraining?

I know people are just gonna say 'suck it and see' but wanted to know if anyone had any experience of squating 3 x per week.

#29 ·
lambert said:
What did you do then MarkFranko when you hit the 1.5 bodyweight on squat. Did you plataeu at any stage through the routine?
When I hit the 1.5 bw which wasnt that long ago my training partner got me onto a split, that lasted 2 weeks before I went onto a 20 rep squat routine which im doing now for 6 weeks then i reckon ill be doing madcow

I didnt plataeu on squat, but did on bench.

My squat is currently 175kg x 4reps when i started the routine i was using around 80kg

#31 ·
is it fail 3 times before deloading? oppps i failed once and delaoded :D

I managed to break though it eventually, i did 3x5 with the weight i was failing on, and then the last two sets where i wasnt able to finish is where i deloaded, after 2 weeks i managed 5x5 with it, but by this time i ended the routine then did a 2 weeks of a 4 day a week split routine

split routines are crap imo

#32 ·
MarkFranco said:
Workout A

Squats 5x5

Bench 5x5

Invert row 3xfailure

Press ups 3xfailure

Prone bridges 3x45 seconds

workout B

Squats 5x5

deadlift 1x5

Mili press 5x5

Pullups/chin ups 3xfailure

reverse crunches 3x15

Alternate workout A and B each week for example

Week 1 mon-A, wed-B-, fri-A... Week 2 mon-B, wed-A, fri-B and so on

Add 2.5kg/5lbs each week to squat, bench, deadlift and mili press

Alternate chin ups and pull ups each workout.

And if your wondering the reason for doing 1 set of dead lifts its because using heavy weight it becomes alot harder to keep good form
for these sets do i do max weight then,so i can only do 5 reps?

#33 · (Edited by Moderator)
vulture said:
for these sets do i do max weight then,so i can only do 5 reps?
Depends on experience level stronglifts reccomends starting with empty bar unless you have good form, then i guess its all down to you, i didnt start with my 5 rep max, starting to high means youll stall quicker.

Also I replaced inverted row for Bent row but on there website it reccomends replacing inverted rows with 5×5 Power Cleans if your experienced enough

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.