UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
As many have said I can summarise as follows :-

Bodybuilding

• Hit legs with everything once a week to failure.

Strength training

• Starting Strength , Madcow etc 3x per week not taken to failure

Clearly you can see a guy who fries his legs with everything is going to take a long time to recover. The strength guy can train 3x per week and continue adding weight to the bar.

I did a great routine once that bought my legs up very well using x3 per week squatting... monday did olympic style squats, wednesday was front squats, friday pl style squats. Nothing was to failure and volume just a few working sets.

Ironically the other best leg workout i've done was totally different and almost like GVT, with once a week going for pl style squats at 10x10 using a light-ish weight but keeping the rest periods very short.

When seeking strength gains over bodybuilding I like to squat every four days with low-moderate volume and going just below failure... seems to be what works best for me for that particular goal.

stone14 said:
could someone quickly post the starting strentgth workout, i have the ebook but i dont have a comp now and theres nothing on this comp im using to view the ebook, thanks alot
Workout A

Squats 5x5

Bench 5x5

Invert row 3xfailure

Press ups 3xfailure

Prone bridges 3x45 seconds

workout B

Squats 5x5

deadlift 1x5

Mili press 5x5

Pullups/chin ups 3xfailure

reverse crunches 3x15

Alternate workout A and B each week for example

Week 1 mon-A, wed-B-, fri-A... Week 2 mon-B, wed-A, fri-B and so on

Add 2.5kg/5lbs each week to squat, bench, deadlift and mili press

Alternate chin ups and pull ups each workout.

And if your wondering the reason for doing 1 set of dead lifts its because using heavy weight it becomes alot harder to keep good form

lambert said:
What did you do then MarkFranko when you hit the 1.5 bodyweight on squat. Did you plataeu at any stage through the routine?
When I hit the 1.5 bw which wasnt that long ago my training partner got me onto a split, that lasted 2 weeks before I went onto a 20 rep squat routine which im doing now for 6 weeks then i reckon ill be doing madcow

I didnt plataeu on squat, but did on bench.

My squat is currently 175kg x 4reps when i started the routine i was using around 80kg

is it fail 3 times before deloading? oppps i failed once and delaoded :D

I managed to break though it eventually, i did 3x5 with the weight i was failing on, and then the last two sets where i wasnt able to finish is where i deloaded, after 2 weeks i managed 5x5 with it, but by this time i ended the routine then did a 2 weeks of a 4 day a week split routine

split routines are crap imo

MarkFranco said:
Workout A

Squats 5x5

Bench 5x5

Invert row 3xfailure

Press ups 3xfailure

Prone bridges 3x45 seconds

workout B

Squats 5x5

deadlift 1x5

Mili press 5x5

Pullups/chin ups 3xfailure

reverse crunches 3x15

Alternate workout A and B each week for example

Week 1 mon-A, wed-B-, fri-A... Week 2 mon-B, wed-A, fri-B and so on

Add 2.5kg/5lbs each week to squat, bench, deadlift and mili press

Alternate chin ups and pull ups each workout.

And if your wondering the reason for doing 1 set of dead lifts its because using heavy weight it becomes alot harder to keep good form
for these sets do i do max weight then,so i can only do 5 reps?

vulture said:
for these sets do i do max weight then,so i can only do 5 reps?
Depends on experience level stronglifts reccomends starting with empty bar unless you have good form, then i guess its all down to you, i didnt start with my 5 rep max, starting to high means youll stall quicker.

Also I replaced inverted row for Bent row but on there website it reccomends replacing inverted rows with 5×5 Power Cleans if your experienced enough

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.