UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Under Construction
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a skinny bastard. I have been a heavy smoker since the age of 14 smoking 15-20 rollups a day. I am 21 now and have decided it's time to get my strength, weight and fitness up, so I am quitting smoking tomorrow and joining the gym next week.

I have found it very difficult to find a regime that will work for me, seeming as there is so much contrasting info out there. Anyway, I joined the forum to get some advice and hopefully have some questions answered.

Ok I will start from the top. I'm 21, 5' 7", and 60kg. I have very poor fitness at the moment and am giving up heavy smoking tomorrow. I want to gain weight!

Questions

1) Should I start by doing some aerobic work to get my fitness up? If yes how often a week?

2) I currently eat around 2250 calories a day. How much should I eat to put on mass fast? 5000 is a figure that comes to mind - what about that?

3) I think I need to be doing a full body workout 3 times a week to build all round muscle - sound about right?

4) If I did these workouts at each visit to the gym, how many reps/sets should I do? 5 sets of 5 reps?

Squats

Deadlifts

Bench press

Horizontal row

Overhead press

Pull/chin ups

Dips

5) Will those exercises cover everything or should I also do...?

Calf raises

Bicep Curls

Forearm Curls

Crunches

Shrugs

Cheers for any advice in advance.

·
Under Construction
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are u trying to convince me to smoke "healthy" cigarettes?

packing it in completely tomorrow..im sure of that. but know what u mean i sure as hell am going to miss nicotine.

:focus:

·
The Norwich Personal Trainer
12,416 Posts
lol im saying theres an alternative..

i hope you give up matey, but if you do fall of the wagon give it a thought.

usual e cigs are crap but there are many mods around that are like e cigs on gear lol..

i`ll give you some sensible advice tomoz bud..

look at my sticky training thread in the beginners section for an idea..

·
Under Construction
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
didnt manage to quit, i drank a lot last night and the night before so chain smoked pretty much all night. monday is my new quit day.

anything Re the number of sets/reps i should be doing, and if i should do any aerobic to get my fitness back?

·
12,416 Posts
next time you quit and keep smoking think aboiut what i`m telling ya..

you`d be happy enuff to stick a patch on for months..

my way you get your nicotine in the manner youre used to...

google "ecig mod silver bullet"... altho theres loads to choose from.

the ones that look like cigs are sh1te dude..

if not good luck quitting..

doesnt sound like you want to tho dude..

·
Yeah thats a great idea!
316 Posts
doesnt smoking restrict growth, repair and recovery?

hence smoking at a young age keeps your body at that child like state ? (see a lot of young girls that smoke when they get to 18 have the body of a 12yr old, n are just skinny wrecks?)

anyways back to the point,

would it be better to cut out the smoking gradually, whilst improving your cardio, and get back up to a standard of a normal non smoker before training hard, you def feel the benefits straight away!!

·
12,416 Posts
at the british BB finals i`d say more than half the women competitors smoked

and a large majority of the men..

many teenage girls undereat.

i aint saying smoking good for you in fact the complete opposite..

i am saying if your addicted to nicotine there are REAL, SAFE alternatives to the pathetic standard Nictotine Replacement Therapies.

helps you quit one cig at a time!

funny looks like the same old patch to me..

the inhaler-the closest thing to a cigarette..bullshot...

youre sucking on a plastic tube..theres no realism..

lol maybe i should make a silver bullet vid..

i spent years beating myself up about smoking and made myself feeling awful about it all..

i smoke half what i used with with ZERO effort.

in time ya never know might be able to cut down more..

but i enjoy the nicotine hit and shall be vaping for the forsseeable future...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.