UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it make any difference if u press behind the head or infront of it using a bar?

My arms physically wont go behind my head doing a shoulder press.

Im fine when infront of the head or using dumbells, it just feels an unatural movement when trying to go behind.

Just after a bit of advice on it, does it matter? if so how do i go about sorting it, stretches or whatever?

Cheers in advance

Dave. :beer:

·
Getting HUGE!
1,643 Posts
Its a big debate, I love doing behind neck press, but it will fook your shoulders up in time, and especially when you get to heavy weights, so I compromise, I never go heavier than 100kg behind neck press, and substitute dumbell press for heavy press.

Normal Military press and push press not a prob go as heavy as you can handle, but I have heard too many horror stories of rotar cuff injuries to go heavy behind neck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My grip is quite wide, i just cant get my shoulders to open any further to get the bar behind my head, its really quite bizzare haha

If it doesnt really matter ill just stick to doing dumbells and military bar presses where i feel comfier.

Cheers for the info lads.

·
CANT STOP WONT STOP
2,137 Posts
i did behind the neck for years with niggley pains sometimes and IMO it does not make enough of an argument to push your body out of sync for this lift.

so i military press now to front and have had better shoulder gains , maybe its handling more weight but its dam more comfortable and my shoulders (touch wood) dont give me any problems

·
+40 and feeling good
2,717 Posts
No issues with behind the neck, just make sure you warm your shoulders up or pre-exhaust them with an exercise before you go on to shoulder press - yes you will do less weight.

·
For 5% off at myprotein.co.uk use code MP15618462
1,360 Posts
Injuries are associated with behind the neck press. People with good flexibility in their shoulders have probably got less chance of causing damage by doing so.

If your having trouble doing it, then I wouldn't do it at all because your going to hurt yourself.

And sorry Dagman I have to disagree with pre-exhausting the shoulders if he is having trouble with doing the movement. If anything he would be better of pre-exhausting his triceps alongside an adequate warmup.

·
+40 and feeling good
2,717 Posts
Jungle said:
Injuries are associated with behind the neck press. People with good flexibility in their shoulders have probably got less chance of causing damage by doing so.

If your having trouble doing it, then I wouldn't do it at all because your going to hurt yourself.

And sorry Dagman I have to disagree with pre-exhausting the shoulders if he is having trouble with doing the movement. If anything he would be better of pre-exhausting his triceps alongside an adequate warmup.
Being honest, did not read the bit about the OP physically being unable to do behind the neck shoulder press :oops:

·
Gym Addict
231 Posts
I was at a physio last night with a shoulder problem and the first thing i got asked was 'do i do presses behind my neck?', never done them behind the neck personally but i have seen lads pressing behind the neck regularly without any problems,never see them do it as their first shoulder exercise normally its military press or d/b press first..

Have you tried an overhead squat? I find thats a good indication of how flexible my shoulder girdle is..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.