UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gym Addict
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone see this on more 4 last night? it echoed a lot of what he wrote in the greatest show on earth. I found it really interesting but at the same time it makes me sad because as much as I'd like to believe there is a god and some sort of afterlife it just makes me strongly doubt.

What are your thoughts on it?

·
Gym Addict
294 Posts
I have read the book and found his scientific arguments against theism more convincing than his philosophical and political ones, which is fair enough he is not a philosopher but maybe he should know what his strengths are and leave the philosophical argument against theism to the likes of AC Grayling and Colin Mcginn.

And to a lesser extent his political arguments, some of which are a bit cringeworthy, like claiming Hitler was a Roman Catholic, he should leave that to the likes of the brilliant Christopher Hitchens. Although Dawkins still makes some good, if rather bland generalised points.

·
Gym Addict
294 Posts
S_Tezza said:
I found it really interesting but at the same time it makes me sad because as much as I'd like to believe there is a god and some sort of afterlife it just makes me strongly doubt.

You should read some Christopher Hitchens, he turns this on his head and argues that it should be a relief that there is no God of Western Theism, as it would be like living in a celestial North Korea. Where you are watched 24/7 and can even be convicted of thought crimes. Really the God of Christianity can be an Orwellian nightmare, as there is even no escape from his vigilation even after death!

·
Gym Addict
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WaxOnWaxOff said:
I have read the book and found his scientific arguments against theism more convincing than his philosophical and political ones, which is fair enough he is not a philosopher but maybe he should know what his strengths are and leave the philosophical argument against theism to the likes of AC Grayling and Colin Mcginn.

And to a lesser extent his political arguments, some of which are a bit cringeworthy, like claiming Hitler was a Roman Catholic, he should leave that to the likes of the brilliant Christopher Hitchens. Although Dawkins still makes some good, if rather bland generalised points.
I haven't read the book yet but probably will at some point, I just find it really interesting. I can't see how some people like those on the program last night can say they've learnt about evolution and reject it, on the grounds that if humans evolved from apes then how come there are still apes :confused1: They obviously haven't learnt the first thing about evolution, just seems like there is a lot of ignorance.

callingcard said:
I must of missed this, I love stuff like that though, now I must watch this right now :thumb:

http://www.channel4.com/search/?q=Richard+Dawkins+-+The+God+Delusion

There are some good programs above you may also be interested in :)
It's part of a series I think, last week was faith schools menace, also quite interesting

·
Premium Member
22,718 Posts
WaxOnWaxOff said:
You should read some Christopher Hitchens, he turns this on his head and argues that it should be a relief that there is no God of Western Theism, as it would be like living in a celestial North Korea. Where you are watched 24/7 and can even be convicted of thought crimes. Really the God of Christianity can be an Orwellian nightmare, as there is even no escape from his vigilation even after death!
Im reading hitchens ATM (God is Not Great) :thumbup1:

·
Solid Gold
6,442 Posts
S_Tezza said:
Did anyone see this on more 4 last night? it echoed a lot of what he wrote in the greatest show on earth. I found it really interesting but at the same time it makes me sad because as much as I'd like to believe there is a god and some sort of afterlife it just makes me strongly doubt.

on the word of one man.... dont worry about it mate as there is more to heaven and earth than one persons little phylosophy of it

·
Enjoys a good poo on works time
2,843 Posts
There is life after death, it's called repoduction. It's your kids. That's it. Life is too short to worry about what comes after, who made us or whatever. Surely we'd be far more advanced if we stopped spending so much time on BS theology

·
Ex-mod
4,744 Posts
It's all well and nice trying to give scientific reasons for there not being a god but most of them are rendered kaput if the idea that He is omnipotent and omnicient is true. He could care about everyone and everything on any number of planets or individiuals and it would be no issue whatever as He's omnipotent.

You can just go around and around. Fact is, we might possibly find out some / all of the answers when we die. :thumb:

·
The Devil told me to do it
382 Posts
Maybe I am ignorant but i just cant get my head round the whole evolution theory (and lets not forget theory is all it is, as most scientific fact changes ).

I'm not saying its total b0ll0cks, I just haven't seen overwhealming evidence to convince me.

But then nor do i believe in a greater power (by whatever name) for the same reasons.

What intriges me though is the amazing things in life that can not be explained by science, like how a baby (human or otherwise) instinctively knows how to feed from its mother. Some freaky sh1t IMO

·
The Devil told me to do it
382 Posts

The Ten Commandments, updated for a modern age

• Thou shalt shut thy gob when politely asked, and not drone on endlessly. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt not use circular arguments, such as "God exists, because the Bible sayeth so, and the Bible is True because it is God's Word." <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt notice when thy audience is bored rigid. See Commandment 1. <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt not use a cop-out such as "God worketh in mysterious ways" when backed into a corner by thine own convoluted logic. <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt use thine own imagination, and not just quote from the Bible all the time. <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt not tell atheists what they believe, nor that thy God loveth them. <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt not get upset by jokes about thy God. He is big enough and old enough to looketh after himself. <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt not define how thy God worketh. Thou canst not know. <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt not state that the Bible is consistent and hath no contradictions. Thou wouldst be a fool to doeth so. <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt not say Grace without also thanking the farmers, truck-drivers and shopkeepers that actually did the work required to get your food to the table. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

·
SELUME PROFERRE
4,068 Posts
Jim206152 said:

The Ten Commandments, updated for a modern age

• Thou shalt shut thy gob when politely asked, and not drone on endlessly. <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt not use circular arguments, such as "God exists, because the Bible sayeth so, and the Bible is True because it is God's Word." <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt notice when thy audience is bored rigid. See Commandment 1. <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt not use a cop-out such as "God worketh in mysterious ways" when backed into a corner by thine own convoluted logic. <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt use thine own imagination, and not just quote from the Bible all the time. <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt not tell atheists what they believe, nor that thy God loveth them. <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt not get upset by jokes about thy God. He is big enough and old enough to looketh after himself. <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt not define how thy God worketh. Thou canst not know. <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt not state that the Bible is consistent and hath no contradictions. Thou wouldst be a fool to doeth so. <o:p></o:p>

• Thou shalt not say Grace without also thanking the farmers, truck-drivers and shopkeepers that actually did the work required to get your food to the table. <o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
Amen:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.