UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Newbie Trainer
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I've been wanting to do something about my size for a LONG time now. Im a lanky sod at 6'3 but im also very light at 10 stone 10 (141lb) what ever i try to do i still sit at the same weight. Im on my 3rd time now trying to get into weight lifting and sticking too it and also sticking too a good diet. I've not done a workout for over a week as i've been wanting to get some weight gainer sorted before starting properly (my excuse :( )

Im posting on here my Journal to try and motivate myself into gear and to stick at it. It would be nice for others to help out and keep me going as in the past i have lacked in motivation and when i dont stick to the diet and don't see gains i seem to come to a halt.

okay well im off to get some whey, and weight gainer order and i'll post my pics up shortly as a starting point.

Whats the best semi-beginner routine to go with? also i hate to cook so any good quick meals that will be high in cals and protein for me?

Cheers

:beer:
 

·
.
Joined
·
8,379 Posts
A journal is a great idea, being able to track and review your progress is a real motivation booster.

For routine tips, take a look through the various Getting Started and training threads. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong starting off with the basics, good heavy compounds. I'm doing a push-pull-legs split over 4 days and it's been great for me.

Welcome to the mad-house!
 

·
Newbie Trainer
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dmcc said:
A journal is a great idea, being able to track and review your progress is a real motivation booster.

For routine tips, take a look through the various Getting Started and training threads. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong starting off with the basics, good heavy compounds. I'm doing a push-pull-legs split over 4 days and it's been great for me.

Welcome to the mad-house!
Cheers dmcc, i've read many people talking about riptoes? Do you think i would benefit from this?

Should i also be aiming for 1g of protein per 1lb of my weight? is this right?
 

·
.
Joined
·
8,379 Posts
can't advise you on Ripptoe's workout as I don't know much about it, but google it or search the forums here and you'll find loads of info. Take a look too for "TH&S's Westside Journal" on here - it's a cracking read.

IIRC you should consume 1-1.5g of protein per pound. Eating, and eating well, is probably the best thing you can do right now (other than lifting heavy). You need food to grow.
 

·
Newbie Trainer
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dmcc said:
can't advise you on Ripptoe's workout as I don't know much about it, but google it or search the forums here and you'll find loads of info. Take a look too for "TH&S's Westside Journal" on here - it's a cracking read.

IIRC you should consume 1-1.5g of protein per pound. Eating, and eating well, is probably the best thing you can do right now (other than lifting heavy). You need food to grow.
cheers i'll have a read of that thread dmcc

Whats the best supps to buy to start with, i've just been reading this stuff.. would you recommend?

http://www.muscleform.co.uk/Store/All-in-One/V$9MASS-All-in-One-Power-Formula

Also looking for a good weight gainer
 

·
Slight seeking Might
Joined
·
10 Posts
as a fellow ectomorph I will give you the same advise as I was given (seems to work too)...Keep ur calorie intake consistent throughout the day, meaning try to eat every 2/3 hours and do compound exercises. Just stick with the philosophy: eat big, train heavy but don't forget about the importance of rest.

:thumb:
 

·
.
Joined
·
8,379 Posts
Not heard of that. TBH at this stage you probably want to keep it simple; use a decent protein (check out the board sponsors - "ooh, discounts!") and creatine. Try to get most of your calories from good quality food. I know you say that "you hate to cook" - you'll have to learn, or get someone to do it for you. Anyway, there's not much cooking involved in slinging some chicken breasts on the grill and boiling some rice.
 

·
Newbie Trainer
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers ashrd, i'll try and get somthing down every 2/3 hours. Only problem with this is work. Its hard to brek off to eat most days. Any ideas on somtihng i could have 2-3 times in the day that would help?

dmcc, i would like to try and learn a few things to cook. Mainly cos i never have apart from beans on toast and jacket spuds lol. I'll have to look at somthing like jamie olivers cook book or somthing.

But till then i guess tuna, spuds, pasta, ohh and peanut butta will have to do :)

i'll order just plain whey and creatine. is creatine a day or weekly thing btw
 

·
Slight seeking Might
Joined
·
10 Posts
Trust me i know how hard it is to get meals throughout the day but even if you just have a protein shake its better than nothing. Think of gaining weight as changing the way your body thinks...when you eat often and routinely lift weight your body uses its resources to aid muscle growth. At the moment through not eating often your body goes into "famine" mode and won't allocate these resources to muscle growth because it doesn't know when the next meal is coming.

I hope this makes sense.
 

·
Newbie Trainer
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ashrd said:
Trust me i know how hard it is to get meals throughout the day but even if you just have a protein shake its better than nothing. Think of gaining weight as changing the way your body thinks...when you eat often and routinely lift weight your body uses its resources to aid muscle growth. At the moment through not eating often your body goes into "famine" mode and won't allocate these resources to muscle growth because it doesn't know when the next meal is coming.

I hope this makes sense.
oh i see, so it stores it to use as energy and not growing musles?

whats the diff between whey isolate and whey complex?

ta
 

·
Newbie Trainer
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok i've orded the why and creatine and it should be here tomorrow :)

I've decided to give this a try.

Alternate Workout A and Workout B every other day, 3 times a week. Mon, Wed, Fri.

Note: This doesn't include warm-up sets

**Means this is OPTIONAL**

Workout A

3x5 Squat

3x5 Bench Press

1x5 Dead lift

**2x8 Dips (or Decline Dumbbell Bench Press with your hands Facing each other)

Workout B

3x5 Squat

3x5 Standing military press

3x5 Pendlay or Bent Rows (or power cleans)

**2x8 Chin-ups (recommended mainly if doing the cleans)

Assistance work:

ABS: weighted decline sit-ups and/or Hanging Leg Raises at 2x8-10.

Weight:

Use the SAME weight throughout the sets.

Every week make it a goal to increase each of your lifts by 2.5%.

Warm-up Sets:

Specifically for first lift.
Next i need to nail my diet. so gonna go look at some threads and see whats taing my fancy food wise :)

:beer:
 

·
Newbie Trainer
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok could you guys give me some feedback to this diet plz.

Breakfast - Musley, whey shake & orange juice. (or banana)

Snack - Protein flapjack

Dinner - Chicken tika sarni, Chicken drumstick, banana, pack of chrisps and oat bar etc. or pork pie instead of drumstick.

Snack - Protein flapjack

T - Meal (what ever our lass cooks) plus Whey shake, yogurt etc

Snack - Cottage chees with crackers Or tuna and sweatrcorn

Suppa - Peanut butta sarni & Whey shake

i know its not the best but im still new dont forget ;)
 

·
.
Joined
·
8,379 Posts
Creatine should be taken daily.

On the diet, ditch the crisps and pork pies, and if you are eating sandwiches be very careful of what's in them and go for wholemeal or granary bread. I won't comment on the rest of it - I'll leave that for the guys who know diets.
 

·
Newbie Trainer
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
50g per meal.....Darn lol thats a lot of protein. double what i thought i should be having.

Any ideas on a meal i can eat on the go at work that will give such a high amount of protein?
 

·
Newbie Trainer
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Friday 10th oct

Workout A

3x5 Squat

warm up 15x @ 22kg 10x @ 22kg

3x5 @ 31.6kg

3x5 Bench Press

Warm up - 15x @ 22kg, 10x @ 22kg

3x5 @ 45.8kg

1x5 Dead lift

warm up 15x @ 22kg, 10x @ 22kg

3x5 @ 3x5 @ 45.8kg
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top