UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know in theory rest days are when you grow, but my last 2 planned rest day's, my head has been " screaming " so I've trained. So that's 13 day's in a row PPL , weights- reps are doing OK, been adding a couple of reps or kg most sessions, actually training going well.
Would you force yourself to take a rest day , or just train to keep your head from going pop ?

·
Premium Member
8,299 Posts
I assume your on gear but still. It’s taxing on your CNS and you will need to recover for growth and repair regardless or gear and adequate nutrition. I would be taking 2 days off but surely you can force a day off and come back stronger

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Really depends on how intense you're training, volume, if you're going close to or failure, likely chance of needing rest days.

Good for connective tissue and joints too

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
If your PPL routine incorporates mostly compound stuff...squats / deadlifts / pull ups / bench press / military press etc then it would be stupid not to have a rest after 13 consecutive days IMO.

Rest and recovery is essential for growth. If you feel like you don't need a rest then maybe you should question the types of exercises / intensity / volume you are training at.

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume your on gear but still. It’s taxing on your CNS and you will need to recover for growth and repair regardless or gear and adequate nutrition. I would be taking 2 days off but surely you can force a day off and come back stronger
I'm on 250mg/week testosterone, so double my normal trt dose, just wanted to see how much difference it would make.

·
Premium Member
3,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really depends on how intense you're training, volume, if you're going close to or failure, likely chance of needing rest days.

Good for connective tissue and joints too
My tendons are definitely feeling the strain, but mostly only area's that have had previous injuries.

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
M
Every 4-6 weeks I take 4-5 days off completely from lifting. You're not gona lost any progress.
With time off and correct eating you can even come back stronger . Personally my self I can't take a complete week off as it drives me mad, it's like an itch I just have to scratch haven't had any time off in 10 years now even in lock down lol . So I do a Deload week , 50 percent of everything I usually do , effortless. But mentally in my mind I am still in the gym doing something . But I recover well and come back stronger also . So win win really :)

·
Premium Member
8,176 Posts
I have been doing 3 days on, one day off and three days on - so one rest day per week. Today, my elbow and my upper back were giving me jip, tomorrow is the end of my second set of three days on and I think I may take two days off rather than one - get a bit of extra rest and rehab.

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
See I'm the opposite as in if I can't go to the gym and push myself I'd rather just take the time to recover completely.

The other reason for the 4-5 scheduled days away is by the 6th day I'm reviving to get back in the gym, even for legs.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Definitely a case of one step back two forward. It seems counter intuitive to not train if wanting to maximise gains but you're not a machine. You have to rest to allow body and mind to recover. If you're lifting hard and to failure then more important, lot's of max effort lifts likewise but even if steering clear of failure or heavy weights you need to prevent wear and tear injuries down the line

·
Premium Member
9,765 Posts
I don’t enjoy taking them either. Probably had 20-30 rest days in a year and hit every muscle group twice a week. Starting 2 planned rest days per week now as I know what I’ve been doing is counterproductive.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I think rest days are vital, my bro has been in and out of prison numerous times, and while inside he has been at his biggest and he said it’s purely because they rest a lot! Sometimes they only train a few times a week too

1 - 16 of 16 Posts