UK-Muscle.co.uk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading lots of different information in lots of places- wondering if anyone can shed any light?

I've read some places that longer rest i.e 2 mins is better than shorter rest i.e 1 min between sets for muscular hypertrophy- what is the common method you guys use?

Also, been reading 5 x 5 is better for strength but maybe 3 x 8 is better for hypertrophy?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
One set, one chance!
4,489 Posts
The more reps the more fatigue which suggests more rest is required. But that's not always the case. It will also depend on how intense the set/ session is.

There is, however a general guide. For strength 3-5 mins, for hypertrophy 90secs. Saying that, rest as long as you need to.

Its not necessarily 5x5 is better for strength or 3x8 is better for hypertrophy. What's important is the rep range and the intensity, not the amount of sets you do.

Its quite scientific tbh and has a lot to do with motor units and force production.

Whats key is you train for your goals.

For maximum/ absolute strength you want to train in the 1-5 rep range.

For hypertrophy you want to train in the 8+ rep range. Notice how I've said 8+? Sets can be as high as 15-20 (even more in some circumstances).

For big compounds I prefer to train in the strength rep ranges.

For accessory/ multi joint exercises I prefer to train in the 6-10 rep ranges.

For single joint/ isolation exercises I prefer 12 reps+.

Go see what works for yourself.

·
Spartan Warrior
925 Posts
3 minutes between sets for your main heavy compound (Squat)

2 minutes between sets for your secondary compound (DB Press)

1 - 1.5 minutes between sets for lighter isolations (Curls)

This is what I do and I think it works well :)

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
I take about 30 seconds rest between sets and no rest between exercises, although realistically setting up the bench and weights probably takes 45 seconds. Can't say if it works optimally or not, I certainly reach failure so the muscle is being challenged and I get my full body workout done quick. I train in the 10-15 reps per set range with slow eccentrics.

·
UK-M
1,081 Posts
The simple and easy formula to remember is this: the heavier the load, the more time is needed to recover from its effect on your nervous system ... without your nervous system, or with a compromised (taxed) nervous system, no amount of muscle would mean much. So in plain English, you are as strong as your nervous system is, as that's the true feeder and decider of how your muscles would perform recover, and all that is in between that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts